The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tesla Model S P85D Breaks CR's Testing Charts

TOMapleLaughs

New Tesla scores Consumer Reports' highest rating ever

A new version of the Tesla Model S has driven to the highest score ever recorded by the engineers at Consumer Reports. The $127,820 all-wheel-drive P85D totaled 103 on a scale designed to max out at 100.

After reconfiguring its scoring slightly, CR rewarded the blazing acceleration and top fuel economy of the P85D. The original Model S earned a 99-point score from the magazine in 2013. Before that, the highest score had been a 96 for the Mercedes-Benz S-550.

Superlatives abounded from the often-skeptical CR test drivers. The P85D is the quickest car they ever tested, going from zero to 60 MPH in a mind-boggling 3.5 seconds. And it still delivers the electric car equivalent of 87 MPG, topping the 84 for the original Model S. "The Tesla is a shining example of how higher fuel economy standards can be achieved without sacrificing performance," says Jake Fisher, director of automotive testing at Consumer Reports.

Beyond those virtues, CR praised the practicality of the P85D. It seats five adults plus potentially two kids in an optional third-row seat. It rides comfortably and, as with all electric cars, makes no engine noise at all

The P85D also has shown promise on the weakest point of electric cars -- range before having to recharge. Two test drivers took the P85D across Denmark, a total of 452.8 miles on one charge. The official company rating of the range for one charge is 285 miles when driving a steady 65 MPH.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/consumer-reports-gives-top-rating-ever-to-new-tesla-car/

Hmm. Not bad. I suppose they can eventually scale back from the supercar format to get it to common consumers in the long run too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5ay8doUzTM

Dats fast.

Cool but.........

What's the point though?

The official company rating of the range for one charge is 285 miles when driving a steady 65 MPH.

This is the kind of measurement that needs to be noted and improved upon yet it is buried at the end of the story.

Just need to get over the charging hurdle...

No, I'd say the pricing hurdle.

This is probably over $100k CAD.

Kinda silly to get a car like this out in the prairies.

Now, get me a good size truck with a double crew cab and decent size bed that's EV w/good torque (and can haul 8-12k pounds) and under $75k (my diesel cost me 55) and I might consider it.

The cost is high because it is new. When more people start doing this the tech will get better the battery life will get much longer the charging much shorter and the cost lower.

It all starts somewhere and the initial costs will always be high.

Buddies doing damned good work being so innovative. It will catch on and soon so long as gas prices remain so freakishly and gougingly high compared to the price per barrel

I know this is about the performance of Tesla ... and frankly, who cares about insane mode other than test drives. Will you use it often or just to impress your friends?

But what is the environmental footprint on battery operated cars? Don't know who to believe.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3151637/Are-electric-cars-damaging-region-Maps-reveal-EVs-WORSE-environment-gas-guzzling-vehicles.html

A study has found electric cars have an impact on pollution that may be worse than gas-guzzling vehicles. The study looked at US vehicle emissions on a county-level to map where gas cars and electric vehicles cause the most damage. In some areas, shown in red on the right, the impact of charging up EVs overnight does more harm to the environment than going to the petrol station

Apparently 'supercharging' is starting to become more available. 20mins to get half charge.

Yeah but the infrastructure isn't currently there when you need to 'fill up'. Hey! maybe we should invest in stuff like that?!! :P

It's an EXTREMELY high performance luxury sedan. A comparable Panamera 4S starts at $112,500. Gee look how out of whack their pricing is! :rolleyes: And it's slower and gets FAR worse mileage :lol:

You can get a Prius for $25,000 if you want something cheaper.

Somebody else mentioned the prairies. How do these puppies deal with the cold?

Kinda silly to get a car like this out in the prairies.

Now, get me a good size truck with a double crew cab and decent size bed that's EV w/good torque (and can haul 8-12k pounds) and under $75k (my diesel cost me 55) and I might consider it.

:rolleyes: Clearly you are not the target market... :frantic:

If it's anything like my rechargeable mower or my laptop, I'll pass. 2 years later, both of them barely holds a charge! ;)

Looks like batteries have an 8yr warranty. The good news is that the demand for new battery tech has been forcing costs down and costs will continue to plummet.

http://rameznaam.com/2015/04/14/energy-storage-about-to-get-big-and-cheap/

The world energy market is on the cusp of massive change.

California, birthplace of traffic congestion and smog, is currently pushing through new laws that will see emmissions having to drop to 1990 levels by 2020. To meet these goals there's going to be a need for massive clean tech investment. And major corporations (aside from oil) are in full support, citing "one of Americas greatest economic opportunities of the 21st century."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/california-corporations-are-on-board-with-climate-change-policy_55dde804e4b08cd3359e2704

Hawaii is also going 100% renewable, and won't use LNG as 'transition.'

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2015/08/28/3696207/hawaii-isnt-big-on-gas/

Sadly, Harper's dinosaur policies have kept Canada out of the upcoming green tech economic boom, and it's going to take some scrambling to get back up to speed.

Somebody else mentioned the prairies. How do these puppies deal with the cold?

:rolleyes: Clearly you are not the target market... :frantic:

Eh electric vehicles do fine in Calgary. I drove a company Rav4 EV when we went out to lunch. I also have a hybrid Escape of my own.

No, I'd say the pricing hurdle.This is probably over $100k CAD.Kinda silly to get a car like this out in the prairies.Now, get me a good size truck with a double crew cab and decent size bed that's EV w/good torque (and can haul 8-12k pounds) and under $75k (my diesel cost me 55) and I might consider it.

Do you tow or carry

Archived