The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Investing in the stock market - Discussion

AV's Coin

1 hour ago, Vanisleryan said:

ACB is a bloated pig with almost a billion share float, they are way behind on Aurora Sky construction, and poorly managed imho. Canopy is a great company, I first bought them at 2.65 and have flipped them so many times I cant count.... The last one, Tri, Im unfamiliar with, I hope you dont mean Tilray.... Investing with at this point is like playing russian roulette. Take a look at APH, TRST, HEXO, and OGI.... All should be listing on US exchanges soon. 

TIL is what I meant yes, hard writing from a phone some times.

I'm 6 months late to the party but there's still a ton of money to be made.  My bet is on Ash, Aurora, Canopy to be safe investments for a while.  Park your $ for 10 months or so and recoup your 30% minimum.

Again, new industry and the largest players will run the show for the first 3-5 years

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/1/2018 at 2:52 PM, HI5 said:

I’ve been hearing differing opinions on this..curious to see what the marijuana investors here think..

Will legislation cause prices to rise or decline?

In my opinion, I see it playing out as:

Legalization - increase 

2018 4th quarter/2019 1st quarter financial reports - increase

Large players believe the legitimacy of the industry and invest big dollars into it - peak

And then a decline with an eventual stabilization. 

Disclaimer: To anyone reading, I am not in finance or educated in finance, so please don't invest your personal money based on my opinions - I could be way out to lunch for all I know. 

Edited by NucksPatsFan
  • Cheers 1

Bid vs ask...

What do you think?

When a stock like transalta (TA) shows 2 bid lots(buyers) and 100 ask lots(sellers),does that seem like a good indication not to buy?

There seems to be a lot of sellers.I wonder if this information makes TA a good candidate to short sell.No idea.

19 hours ago, Hard_As_Ice said:

Bid vs ask...

What do you think?

When a stock like transalta (TA) shows 2 bid lots(buyers) and 100 ask lots(sellers),does that seem like a good indication not to buy?

There seems to be a lot of sellers.I wonder if this information makes TA a good candidate to short sell.No idea.

What you're describing is a level 1 quote. Or the NBBO (National Best Bid/Offer). The order book is full of orders on both sides of the market. So a level 1 quote is only useful if your intention is to execute against it. Not for basing decisions off of.

nyselevel1.png

This is what a Level 2 order window looks like. As you can see it gives you a much more complete look at most orders resting in the order book.

The columns represent which market center or market maker is on the bid in the red box it's NYSE. Then the price of the order, followed by the size and time.

This would give you a much more complete picture if you're basing trading decisions off this. However, these days 95%+ of all orders are placed by  algorithms. They frequently place and lift orders very quickly.  In fact, they can submit and cancel orders faster than your eyes can see them. So even a level 2 is not very useful.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 10/11/2018 at 10:37 PM, Tortorella's Rant said:

How much worse is this 'correction' going to get.

The main thing that will play out over the next few weeks and really drive the market will be the earnings reports from the big companies (Amazon, Intel etc). If those disappoint or miss then you can expect it to get quite a bit worse as they will weigh the market down quite a bit. With tariffs making a lot of materials more expensive for those companies in the US on top of interest rate rises making it tougher to carry/issue debt, I wouldnt be surprised to see firms revise forecasts from earlier. 

• Upvote 1

I’m glad I cashed out before legalization, knew I’d be drunk and partying around that time and wouldn’t be following the market. Looked yesterday and everything was down..once the corrections done I may just pick and stick to one race horse. 

5 hours ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

The main thing that will play out over the next few weeks and really drive the market will be the earnings reports from the big companies (Amazon, Intel etc). If those disappoint or miss then you can expect it to get quite a bit worse as they will weigh the market down quite a bit. With tariffs making a lot of materials more expensive for those companies in the US on top of interest rate rises making it tougher to carry/issue debt, I wouldnt be surprised to see firms revise forecasts from earlier. 

Speaking of reports, how'd ya like today's reports from 3M and CAT? Talk about coughing up a fur ball.

As for what's coming. You simply cannot have most major indices FTSE, DAX, CAC 40, Nikkei, Hang Seng, Kospi etc all hovering at or near 52 week lows and the US indexes swimming along doing their own thing. Especially not in a rate rising environment like in the States. Either those indices will rise to catch up to the S&P or the S&P will drop to catch down to them.

(Sage advice from the past)

BTFD strategies had a good run. Now it's time to short rallies.

Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

Speaking of reports, how'd ya like today's reports from 3M and CAT? Talk about coughing up a fur ball.

As for what's coming. You simply cannot have most major indices FTSE, DAX, CAC 40, Nikkei, Hang Seng, Kospi etc all hovering at or near 52 week lows and the US indexes swimming along doing their own thing. Especially not in a rate rising environment like in the States. Either those indices will rise to catch up to the S&P or the S&P will drop to catch down to them.

(Sage advice from the past)

BTFD strategies had a good run. Now it's time to short rallies.

Yeah wowza.... Just the start I believe... I see CAT did try to (somewhat successfully) ease concerns in their call by saying all the added costs were still manageable. 3M is getting hit by both the tariffs and the slowdown of the Chinese economy which is even more troubling.. Youre absolutely right about the indices. Everything will eventually catch up no matter how much one praises the economy. Fundamentals matter.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

I really hope things do turn around and soon. I started first time investing back in May with registered and cash accounts. Things had been rosy up until the beginning of this month. Up thousands of dollars, albeit unrealized, and now that's completely eroded after one single month. My uncle says not to worry about it as we have the same adviser and he has been doing this for 30 years himself and gone through far worse, but he also has much more money than I do.

27 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

I really hope things do turn around and soon. I started first time investing back in May with registered and cash accounts. Things had been rosy up until the beginning of this month. Up thousands of dollars, albeit unrealized, and now that's completely eroded after one single month. My uncle says not to worry about it as we have the same adviser and he has been doing this for 30 years himself and gone through far worse, but he also has much more money than I do.

I would usually say the same thing as your uncle to be honest. That said, it really depends on what your investments are earmarked for. If you are in it for the long term than you dont really have much to worry about and can ride this out, and probably profit off some dollar cost averaging. If your time horizon for the monies is shorter than i would definitely suggest working with your adviser to try to diversify your equity positions or perhaps even add some high yield fixed income (outside of North America).

I have to admit though I am one that is in for the long term as are most of my clients so I tend to take pretty long positions and make small tactical moves here and there as opposed to trying to time the market. While profits may not be as large, it does take a lot of the guess work out of it and definitely helps limit losses through rough periods. 

• Upvote 1