The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Investing in the stock market - Discussion

AV's Coin

The one that I want to really sink some money into is Square SQ.

I believe in anything Jack Dorsey does, the guy just wins at life. I personally use Square for my business and it's a mostly flawless program.

Also they were approved to start opening banks, the 1st one will be next year in Utah.

image.png.e5f1ea2590af13ec524256519a117eb5.png

image.png

13 minutes ago, AriGold2.0 said:

I believe in anything Jack Dorsey does, the guy just wins at life. I personally use Square for my business and it's a mostly flawless program.

Also they were approved to start opening banks, the 1st one will be next year in Utah.

image.png

I have about 100 shares, big fan, want to get more. 

So S&P dropped off it's 75 day moving average with huge volume the other day. I'm expecting a retest sometime next week. If it doesn't clear I'm expecting a steady drop. If it clears expect it to test the 200 day moving average at around 3000. 

2 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

@nuckin_futz @AriGold2.0 @Warhippy @CBH1926@HI5 @I.Am.Ironman and anyone else I missed

Would you be interested in creating a Slack group to share investing tips, good buys in the moment, etc. ?  

I mainly trade currencies these days. With some index futures and commodity futures thrown in for good measure. So I don't know if I'd be of much use. My days of heavily day trading stocks were from 1998-2015. I don't trade many stocks these days unless I get an itch I can't scratch.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

@nuckin_futz @AriGold2.0 @Warhippy @CBH1926@HI5 @I.Am.Ironman and anyone else I missed

Would you be interested in creating a Slack group to share investing tips, good buys in the moment, etc. ?  

Thanks for the offer, it is a good idea, but i don't feel comfortable being part of an exclusive group, especially since this isn't my specialty or profession. I think, for me, the open forum (CDC) is well suited. Sharing is caring and all that jazz, y'know?

1 hour ago, nuckin_futz said:

I mainly trade currencies these days. With some index futures and commodity futures thrown in for good measure. So I don't know if I'd be of much use. My days of heavily day trading stocks were from 1998-2015. I don't trade many stocks these days unless I get an itch I can't scratch.

12 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Thanks for the offer, it is a good idea, but i don't feel comfortable being part of an exclusive group, especially since this isn't my specialty or profession. I think, for me, the open forum (CDC) is well suited. Sharing is caring and all that jazz, y'know?

That's fair. I know we have a very active NFL thread but a few of us also have a slack group just to talk more "instantly" as not everyone is on CDC every day. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, NucksPatsFan said:

That's fair. I know we have a very active NFL thread but a few of us also have a slack group just to talk more "instantly" as not everyone is on CDC every day. 

I'm kind of with the rest, this seems to be the only sober thread in the off topic section and it's free from political or sickness talk and that's a breath of fresh Covid if ever Justin Trudeau legislated us some

:bigblush:

8 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

I'm a lurker man, don't cut me out!  :P 

19 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

I’m on slack 24/7 for both my work channels, might end up becoming a bit more distracting for me. 

I find it’s easier to just sift through this thread when I’ve got some down time between things. 

Appreciate the offer though, slacks awesome for these kinds of things. 

18 hours ago, AriGold2.0 said:

image.png

I haven’t researched this market much, but ive heard theirs a Canadian company in the mix with Square, called Lightspeed (LPSD.TO).

Check em out if you’re interested. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, HI5 said:

I haven’t researched this market much, but ive heard theirs a Canadian company in the mix with Square, called Lightspeed (LPSD.TO).

Check em out if you’re interested. 

Ohh, never heard of them. I will forsure be checking them out. Thanks!

-----------------------

Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway reports nearly $50 billion loss

Not the news we want to see this weekend.. We could see another tank on Monday, ugh...

15 hours ago, Warhippy said:

I'm kind of with the rest, this seems to be the only sober thread in the off topic section and it's free from political or sickness talk and that's a breath of fresh Covid if ever Justin Trudeau legislated us some

:bigblush:

None political only because we are soft peddling the debt fallout of this event and how that debt will be paid for. It will take decades. We assume that governments will continue to be able to fund this debt. The numbers don't work now so how it will look in June is scary. 

The thing about investing is that you have to keep an open mind, look at new ideas and you have no choice but to live with the results. 

1 hour ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Has anyone looked into purchasing oil futures contracts and holding them for a while?

I don’t know enough about them to make a purchase. But I was following HOU.TO for the past few weeks and theirs a lot of shady stuff going on. 

The amount of changes to the etf and reverse splits. It just seems like a massive gamble at this point for me.

2 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Has anyone looked into purchasing oil futures contracts and holding them for a while?

Depends on your definition of "awhile". Technically you can put an oil contract expiry out as far as 9 years. But no one does that and those contracts trade zero volume. I doubt you could even find a broker who would offer those products for trade.

Most brokers will only offer contracts for trade with expiry's out a few months. The farther out you put the expiry the less volume the contract will trade.

I suppose if you want to be perpetually long oil you could always take delivery. :lol:

Edited by nuckin_futz

22 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

Im likely to never be a day trader but I am curious about it.

Would you care to explain why you stopped (no worries if you dont)?

what does it take to be a day trader?

Any online resources or books you recommend?

57 minutes ago, AV's Coin said:

Im likely to never be a day trader but I am curious about it.

Would you care to explain why you stopped (no worries if you dont)?

what does it take to be a day trader?

Any online resources or books you recommend?

Watch this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmoOrgTP5XQ

Edited by AriGold2.0