The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Being a Canuck in Toronto.

Bavley33

103 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I first started watching the Canucks in 2010-2011 -Stanley cup final year. I had moved to Canada a couple years back and was eager to fit in and get into popular things like other people and friends at school.

So when the my whole class (with the exception of that one kid nobody liked) was cheering for the Canucks in the finals, i did too. I know you might think I'm a bandwagon but, after that year all my friends went back to their regular favourite teams, like the leafs, canadiens. But i fell in love with the Canucks and I've been following them ever since.

Only thing is, it wasn't till i really started getting addicted to them that i would realize just how terrible of a choice i chose. No, not because of failures, sweeps etc. but because I live in Toronto, 3 hours ahead of Vancouver. That means i had to stay up till 1 AM, 4-5 times a week, then wake up at 5 for school. Yeah.

Of course, I didn't think much of this until it really started to show. I was getting bad grades, i wasn't getting homework done, i was sleeping in school but worst of all, i wasn't socializing anymore. Whenever I would be at some party or birthday and their was a Canucks game at the time i would be at the party, but not really there. My soul was still in Vancouver. So thats one problem that anybody can point out about being a Canuck fan in Toronto.

Another thing I've really hated about living in Leafs territory is the merch. Finding Canuck merch here in Toronto is like finding a needle in a haystack, if you knew where exactly that haystack was in ontario. So whenever i would come across a Canuck merch i would buy it immediately. No questions asked, who knew when the next time i would find one would be. Now you could say why don't you just buy stuff online? I have on countless occasions, but having the shirt in your hand and fitting that hat on your head is a lot different than clicking some buttons.

Finally, and most importantly, being a Canuck fan can be really dangerous in one of the biggest fan bases in the NHL. I have at times feared harassment from leaf fans, both physically and mentally. When wearing my merch, I could be giving dirty looks from people i don't even know, i could be yelled at or sometimes even purposefully bumped into to. Their are countless examples (which you can look up) of leaf fans physically harassing other fans.

This is why i have chosen not to rep my merch when going to leaf games.

So in conclusion, I believe that being a Canuck fan in leafs territory is especially hard. Difference in times and late start times can lead to 3 or 4 hours of sleep some nights. Merchandise is always geared towards leafs fans so I would be lucky to find any Canucks merchandise. Finally, harassment from other leaf fans can be really though and force you to stop representing your team.

Thanks for reading.

P.S. I made a Canucks opening montage down below. So if you would like to check that out that would be appreciated and as well, if you live outside of Vancity and are a Canucks fan, how is your experience?

Make sure to like and share!

So when the my whole class (with the exception of that one kid nobody liked) was cheering for the Canucks in the finals, i did too.

Refreshing to see that the character assassination the clowns at CBC attempted to pull wasn't successful on your class.

Sad, however, that a group of kids showed more national pride than commentators living off of our tax dollars.

Refreshing to see that the character assassination the clowns at CBC attempted to pull wasn't successful on your class.

Sad, however, that a group of kids showed more national pride than commentators living off of our tax dollars.

I know but i think we all just went for the canucks because the only other team was the bruins but still, CBC sucks. Thankfully, they have lost most of their funding from the government.

Well, I am stuck in Illinois for the time being for school. Good thing is the rivalry between the Hawks and us have died down. Most just ask me what the heck happened to us instead of giving me any trouble.

Well, hopefully they won't be asking what happened to us this season and instead worry about what they'll do to us. ;)

I'm surprised you found Toronto to be Canuck-friendly during that run...everyone I knew around Toronto was eating up the anti-Canucks slop like it was candy.

Canucks swag is easy to find in Toronto...especially at the discount places. You can get great cheap stuff all over the place, you just have to dig down deep into the bargain bins (like Dave Nonis at Free Agency)

Just today at a place on Queen West they had some cool stick-in-rink hats with ear flaps for $10!

Calgary.

After returning home from Vancouver in 2011 after watching game 7 in the streets and trying to get out unscathed I didn't even want to go back to work.

Then you get the playoff series last season and its just too much. Finally gave me some ammo to give back to the Flames faithful when they started harassing women in the streets. "You're right, Canucks fans do riot, but they only destroy objects, not the self esteem of their local women."

I like to* think as Canadians the majority of Toronto fans keep it classy, but one bad apple can make a visitor feel unwelcome and taint their view of the entire fan base. I lived in Calgary 2006-2009 and probably attended 6 or 7 games at the dome vs the Nucks, proudly sporting my Linden jersey. I can honestly say I never once felt threatened. Just a bit of razzing but it was all in good fun. Living back in the lower mainland now and I like to think us nuckers are welcoming* to those east of the rockies, ..but there is always a few bad apples

go canucks!

edit*

Archived