The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Los Angeles on the hook for Richards Cap Recapture

Looks like more information has been added:

The Los Angeles Kings and Mike Richards have reached a settlement over his contract being voided, according to TSN Senior Correspondent Rick Westhead.

An announcement from the Kings will likely be made Friday.

According to TSN Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie, the Kings will pay a cap recapture penalty for the next five years. He adds that the team will face an annual cap hit equal to the dollars being paid out annually to Richards, while the cap hit will last as long as the payment schedule.

The Kings terminated Richards' contract in June after he was arrested at the U.S.-Canadian border and later charged with illegal possession of a controlled substance, seemingly alleviating themselves of the $22 million and five years left on his deal at a $5.75 million cap hit.

But the NHLPA then filed a grievance on Richards' behalf, contesting the Kings' actions.

More to follow.

http://www.tsn.ca/kings-and-richards-reach-settlement-over-contract-1.374563

Glad to see the Kings didn't get away with just voiding his contract. It was a clear violation of the CBA.

Wait, so do they have to pay Richards any of that or does it go to the league?

They pay Richards whatever the settlement amount is in whatever structure they agreed upon.

The cap hit and cap recapture hits are kind of imaginary numbers, just deductions from their cap space. No one gets that money. It just means less is paid out to players and the Kings have less to spend on salary.

Will be interesting to see the additional cap hit broken down by year... I suspect the settlement included a lot of dollars for Richards, and that the Kings are going to be down 1.5-3 million per year. they probably got to spread it out for a long time so as not to get too big a hit early on,

They settled out the contract, but at least they aren't getting off completely from the contract.

Will cost them 1.32 million for the next 5 years on cap hit, as per General Fanager.

http://www.tsn.ca/kings-and-richards-reach-settlement-over-contract-1.374563

Or if it only tales $6.5mill or to buy out the balance of his contract > what is the purpose of a guaranteed contract?

(not that I actually believe there should not be outs in sports contracts)

Its still a contract though!

What the frack! :wacko:

Wasn't the whole concept of the cap recapture penalty to punish teams for trying to bury cap by stringing it out... :picard:

Exactly. They shouldn't be able to stretch it beyond the capped contract length of 8 years. In fact, they shouldn't be able to restructure it at all, I mean this isn't the NFL.

Both Richards and LA win in this case.

im sure when loungo's contract is up in 7 yrs we will get hit massively by the nhl in cap hit but at least luo is on yr 6 of the 12 yrs he signed for. I actually think he may finish contract off in florida

It's very possible.

2 years of starter. 2 years of back up. And the last 2 years of 3rd string goalie?

Depends on how much Lu loves the game and how FLA deal with the future of their goalies.

Exactly. They shouldn't be able to stretch it beyond the capped contract length of 8 years. In fact, they shouldn't be able to restructure it at all, I mean this isn't the NFL.

Both Richards and LA win in this case.

Don't regular buyouts go 2/3 the salary over 2x the original length?

I could see that being fair, + one 1st rounder forfeited for trying to deke the cap.

Archived