The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tony Gallagher

OrrFour

I know that many here don't like Gallagher, but I miss his Canucks/NHL coverage in the Province. I didn't always agree with him, and I'm a huge Canucks fan, however, I always admired how he criticized them and the league when he thought they made mistakes. It takes a lot of balls to do it, and led to Brian Burke making an attempt to have him fired.

As a Nux fan, I loved when he put on his tinfoil hat and criticized the 'loose' officiating and hardline suspension to Rome during the '11 finals.

He had inside knowledge that enabled him to break the story that Vegas was next in line to be dealt a team.

The province and sun coverage is excellent, but has become vanilla without him. Gallagher had a cantankerous edge to his work.

He was incredibly knowledgeable and had great perspective due to his many years of experience.

It's a shame that the province decided to 'retire' him.

I know that many here don't like Gallagher, but I miss his Canucks/NHL coverage in the Province. I didn't always agree with him, and I'm a huge Canucks fan, however, I always admired how he criticized them and the league when he thought they made mistakes. It takes a lot of balls to do it, and led to Brian Burke making an attempt to have him fired.

As a Nux fan, I loved when he put on his tinfoil hat and criticized the 'loose' officiating and hardline suspension to Rome during the '11 finals.

He had inside knowledge that enabled him to break the story that Vegas was next in line to be dealt a team.

The province and sun coverage is excellent, but has become vanilla without him. Gallagher had a cantankerous edge to his work.

He was incredibly knowledgeable and had great perspective due to his many years of experience.

How is this Canucks talk? :sick:

Now that Tony G is gone, and before him Neil M, are there any reporter types that will actually take an opposing point of view to the Canucks - even when times are seemingly good? I know back east the same forced retirement was pushed on Al Strachen, because of his pointing out an opposing view.

Now that Tony G is gone, and before him Neil M, are there any reporter types that will actually take an opposing point of view to the Canucks - even when times are seemingly good? I know back east the same forced retirement was pushed on Al Strachen, because of his pointing out an opposing view.

Botchford

I'm a Canuck fan, and enjoyed Tony G take on the Canucks and the NHL. I didn't always agree with him, but liked that he called a spade a spade, at least from his point of view, even when it made him unpopular with many.

no, he would stare at the clouds, imagine a spade, see a cloud-unicorn humping a cloud-mouse, and then write an article about how the canucks lost in 2011 because of luongo

He only knew negative. I remember his rare effort to cover the Whitecaps. He clearly knew nothing about soccer or the Whitecaps but he was still as negative as ever. But even funnier, I sent him a response pointing this out in a not nasty way, and he responded to my comment with pure rage. But he still made some good points.

Came here thinking this was going to be an obituary for Gallagher. Turns out it wasn't...well maybe it is.

Sorry to rain on your factoid, but it was Pat Quinn that tried to get him fired...not Burkie, though I'm sure they had a contentious relationship.

It doesn't take a lot of balls to criticize the Canucks or the league. We do it on this forum on a hourly basis.

I didn't read a lot of his columns because I knew most of what he wrote was garbage.

We are not accountable for what we write; Tony was.

Actually has some writing talent, unlike most of the local sports journalists, and brought color to his articles with his wording.

Walked the line between trolling and legitimate criticism at times, but nowhere near as bad as personalities like David Pratt.

He actually brought some intelligence to his job. Local hockey coverage is something less without him around in my opinion.

It doesn't take a lot of balls to criticize the Canucks or the league. We do it on this forum on a hourly basis.

I didn't read a lot of his columns because I knew most of what he wrote was garbage.

Posting criticism on a forum or in YouTube comments doesn't take any balls.

Criticizing the monolithic sports organization that, in an indirect way, is sort of the hand that feeds, does actually take some stones.

Look at how Tom Larscheid got canned after 35 years for criticizing Mike Gillis' GM moves, and Larscheid was an undisputed local legend.

Archived