The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Ovechkin missed last nights game because he overslept for practice.

AriGold

Alex Ovechkin says he missed Tuesday night's game because he overslept for morning skate. #CapitalsTalk

Alex Ovechkin said he missed Tuesday night’s game against the San Jose Sharks because he overslept for the team’s 10:15 morning skate on Tuesday.

“I just messed up with my alarm clock,” Ovechkin said. “I put 8:30 p.m. instead of a.m. I fall asleep. I make mistake and that’s why.”

Ovechkin said he arrived late for Tuesday’s morning skate and was told by head coach Barry Trotz he would not play in Tuesday night’s 5-0 loss to the Sharks. Ovechkin said it was the first time in his career he has been a healthy scratch for being late.

“It’s the team rules,” Ovechkin said. “We talked. We had a conversation and we understand each other.”

Ovechkin said he has been late for team meetings in the past because of traffic, but he had never been late for a morning skate.

Trotz said it was important for him to send a message to Ovechkin and the rest of his players.

“It’s an accountability factor that we put in with our team rules,” Trotz saids. “We always talk about the honesty part. Ovi showed up and he recognized it.

“We tried not to make a big deal of it yesterday because it was a game day. It was an honest mistake, but we have certain accountability rules and everybody is accountable in the room. I think that’s just good leadership.”

“I think it should be that way. Coaching is not about equality but there are certain foundational things. We’ve done a lot of things from a cultural standpoint that makes this team very accountable to each other. It’s very important that certain things apply to everybody.”

Ovechkin was back on the ice practicing on the Capitals’ top line on Wednesday with center Evgeny Kuznetsov and right wing T.J. Oshie.

Tuesday marked the 23rd regular season game he has missed in his 11-year career with the Capitals.

http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/hockey-washington-capitals/talk/ovechkin-gives-underwhelming-explanation-missing-sharks-game

Shoulda been sent back to Junior on the spot. :lol: But wow that's pretty unacceptable from any player, let alone your captain.

Oh give me a break. Its not like Ovie has attitude issues and is constantly missing practices or being late. It was his first time being late and it was purely due to an accident (have you really never set your alarm clock wrong?). The fact that he had no prior history of missing practices and is the heart and soul of that team - was sitting him really necessary?

I get that you don't want to show your team that he gets preferential treatment, but lets be honest - the guy is the face of that team and is a competitor every night. It was an accident and the Capitals paid for the decision in a 5-0 loss.

Quite frankly I think it was childish to bench him for an accident like that and put your team's success in jeopardy. When the Caps miss the playoffs by 2 points, I hope they call for Trotz's head.

Oh give me a break. Its not like Ovie has attitude issues and is constantly missing practices or being late. It was his first time being late and it was purely due to an accident (have you really never set your alarm clock wrong?). The fact that he had no prior history of missing practices and is the heart and soul of that team - was sitting him really necessary?

I get that you don't want to show your team that he gets preferential treatment, but lets be honest - the guy is the face of that team and is a competitor every night. It was an accident and the Capitals paid for the decision in a 5-0 loss.

Quite frankly I think it was childish to bench him for an accident like that and put your team's success in jeopardy. When the Caps miss the playoffs by 2 points, I hope they call for Trotz's head.

Doesn't matter if Ovie's usually at practices or a star player. If you show up late for work because you slept in, you get punished. That simple. Doesn't matter if you're a star hockey player or not. It's your responsibility to be there on time, and when you're the captain/role model of the team, that makes it even more unacceptable.

Is someone upset because they have Ovie in there hockey pool? I get that was an accident, but what kind of message does it send to the rest of the players if you don't apply the team rules to him? Good move by Trotz benching him and honestly as good as Ovie is I don't think he could have made up for a 5-0 loss.

Shoulda been sent back to Junior on the spot. :lol: But wow that's pretty unacceptable from any player, let alone your captain.

Happens more than one might think, and it's an accident again these things happen and don't always get this media attention.

Solid team concept, no matter who you are, rules are rules. I can respect that.

I wish you were my parent growing up.. Might have never been yelled at..

Is someone upset because they have Ovie in there hockey pool? I get that was an accident, but what kind of message does it send to the rest of the players if you don't apply the team rules to him? Good move by Trotz benching him and honestly as good as Ovie is I don't think he could have made up for a 5-0 loss.

I think that is a dated old school concept that really doesn't help anything at all.

People especially grown men aren't usually that catty and hypersensitive. Ovechkin is already proven himself as a hard worker and the best player on that team and one of the best in the NHL. I doubt anyone in that locker room is sitting there wondering to themselves, "OMG he overslept because he mixed up the AM and PM mode on the alarm clock... I don't think he cares about the team anymore."

It isn't any different than dealing with one of your own coworkers. If the person has been with the company for a long time and they have a great track record and always do a good job making your work shift smoother your not going to lose respect for them for mixing up an alarm you'll just pat them on the back and say no worries it happens. They have already proven their commitment and don't need to be punished more to know they made a mistake.

If anything losing is more damaging to team moral and sparks more locker room drama. With that said Ovie could have made a difference in that game. 2 of the goals were empty net and the Sharks only led by 1 goal after the first. Momentum itself can swing greatly if your scoring. If AO comes out and scores first that game is an entirely different beast.

I don't think scratching him served any purpose other than guaranteeing they would lose a game.

Archived