The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Shooting & Explosions in France

Tortorella's Rant

1 hour ago, TheFirstLine said:

Yes im going to believe that more then half of the Muslim population around the world are radicals who if given a chance would blow themselves up for their cause. If that was the case would we not see more then 2-3 massive attacks like the one on Paris in the last few years.

I agree that the number is no where near 50%. But what is concerning is that if there are 1.6 billion Muslims and even just 2% of them are radical. That's an entire population of Canada that want you and I dead. The number isn't said to be 2% it's said to be closer to 10-15%. Which equals 160 million radicals. That's the concern. 

On 2015-11-16, 10:49:02, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Closing the doors isn't the answer, but that doesn't mean we don't have to take extra security measures.  JT really needs to revaluate the whole 25,000 refugees before the end of the year promise.  It puts everyone at risk and allows for mistakes, when trying to rush the process.  Yes people are dying and desperate for help but that doesn't mean we through away the concern for own safety.  I saw a post today and it really made a ton of sense, if a bag of m&m's had even 10 pieces  poisoned, how smart would it be to put a handful in your mouth.

I think the real tough spot is how to start integrating new refugees into Canadian culture.  They can't be Syrians that are just living in Canada, Canada can't become a second home, it had to become the identity of the people.  That's makes the Canada so great, Canadians are proud of our land and we're willing to do anything to protect it.  We all come together as our own entity despite are various backgrounds.  Many Europe countries have done a terrible job at this and are slowly getting over run at the cost of it's own citizens.  

Anyway's i'm back in Alberta and glad to be back on Canadian soil.  Surprisingly the paris airport didn't have that much security and it took us no time to get through.

The refugees being considered aren't from the uncontrolled stampede through Europe. They are from camps that have already been screened by the UN. They will be re-screened by our agencies before they will be allowed into Canada. That alone will lessen the likelihood of ISIS agents sneaking through. European Nations are in a far more vulnerable position than Canada and the USA.

I think young families should get consideration as they will assimilate better into our culture. Young single men should get the most screening and be followed closely if they are allowed in as they pose the highest risk.

11 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

The refugees being considered aren't from the uncontrolled stampede through Europe. They are from camps that have already been screened by the UN. They will be re-screened by our agencies before they will be allowed into Canada. That alone will lessen the likelihood of ISIS agents sneaking through. European Nations are in a far more vulnerable position than Canada and the USA.

I think young families should get consideration as they will assimilate better into our culture. Young single men should get the most screening and be followed closely if they are allowed in as they pose the highest risk.

That should but risk is still there. Many people have spoke out about the risk as the proper screening usually take 1 refugee 3 month to go through all the screenings. 

Young children and women should definately be the most considered but sadly that's not the case and one of the biggest reasoning has more to do with political reasons that humanitarian. 

To me this isn't about closing doors. We need to be active in helping. But we can't be naive and forget about our own saftey just as brad wall stated. 

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I agree that the number is no where near 50%. But what is concerning is that if there are 1.6 billion Muslims and even just 2% of them are radical. That's an entire population of Canada that want you and I dead. The number isn't said to be 2% it's said to be closer to 10-15%. Which equals 160 million radicals. That's the concern. 

I think there is a clear difference between a person with radical beliefs then a person who will go out of their way to proceed with an attack on any western/european country. The 10-15 percent that MAY be radicals are not people who would strap themselves with a bomb or take 100's hostage at any given chance. Because if that was the case 160 million people is similar to a small country out to kill everyone who doesn't side with their extreme beliefs. If you look at any attack that has happened in the last few years, it's always a few extremists that carry it out rather then it being hundreds which only to show that the number of actual "terrorists" is much smaller then we are led to believe.

3 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Define radical? Radical like how Harper defined anyone who wasn't willing to give the oil industry a reacharound as radical? Or radical as in actually going to shoot up a public place? Or any of the million other definitions?

Your assertion that there's 160 million people out there just itching to blow themselves up is hilarious fearmongering. 

31 minutes ago, inane said:

Define radical? Radical like how Harper defined anyone who wasn't willing to give the oil industry a reacharound as radical? Or radical as in actually going to shoot up a public place? Or any of the million other definitions?

Your assertion that there's 160 million people out there just itching to blow themselves up is hilarious fearmongering. 

Radical as in they want their law to rule over ours.  You are so clueless and blind that it’s hard to even talk to you, you can’t see two feet in front of you.  It’s not even about blowing themselves up, it about imposing their law over others?

How do you feel about a public stoning to a person buried in the ground so they can’t move? Oh forgot to mention that men are only buried waste down and women are buried chest down.  This is the reality, one of my good friends had this happen to her family when they decided to change faiths. 

That type of law is what radicals want the world to be under.  They don't care about your freedoms or your culture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44vzMNG2fZc

16 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Radical as in they want their law to rule over ours.  You are so clueless and blind that it’s hard to even talk to you, you can’t see two feet in front of you.  It’s not even about blowing themselves up, it about imposing their law over others?

How do you feel about a public stoning to a person buried in the ground so they can’t move? Oh forgot to mention that men are only buried waste down and women are buried chest down.  This is the reality, one of my good friends had this happen to her family when they decided to change faiths. 

That type of law is what radicals want the world to be under.  They don't care about your freedoms or your culture.

Well, I don't know what it's about. That's why I asked. Don't blame me for asking you to clarify your super vague statement. 

I love public stonings! (what the fark are you expecting with that stupid extreme).

33 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

If you're going to say 'radical' then further define that as "That's an entire population of Canada that want you and I dead" then people will think you mean extremists and terrorists, not the more common sub-set of Muslims who believe in Sharia Law. Not all of the people you mean "want you and I dead" so I'm not as worried about them, particularly since they're vocal in their support of what they want and easily identified.

The people who want to bomb, shoot, etc. (you know, the ones that precipitated this thread) are not walking around the streets saying that's what they want to do. They're planning in secret.

The potentially Muslim majority (or at least a huge minority) being "radical" doesn't necessarily mean all of them wants us dead, but it's the context to which some of their extremists get their philosophy from.

Being a "moderate" Muslim might just mean they're "moderate" from a very extreme POV.  When "moderates" supports Sharia law.... that's not really "moderate" by mainstream Western values... that's pretty much extreme. 

Even crazy Christians like those that goes off protesting with signs saying, "God Hates F***s".... they're way more moderate than the average Muslim.  I mean for the most part, those wacko Christians may wish eternal damnation to certain segments of the population, but they don't outright go out of their way to try to send there via less natural means.  You can't say the same for pretty much almost every Muslim nation in the world. 

12 hours ago, Lancaster said:

Or maybe just bad apples.... just many many many bad apples.....

Sort of unrelated to the video..

I don't know much about Shapiro but he comes off as one of those potty trained republicans. But I would be cautious as to what he says. Fact checking for yourself is always important. This video, other videos, whatever. In his first amendment video, that short clip of Obama is purposefully edited to appear as if he is defending Islam when he also said that we should not slander Christ. Irrelevant is Obama's point here but that was a deliberate attempt by Shapiro to reinforce more of that "Obama is a Muslim and against the Constitution" rhetoric garbage. I knew this right away so it was easy to spot. There's numerous examples of republicans doing this.

20 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

The potentially Muslim majority (or at least a huge minority) being "radical" doesn't necessarily mean all of them wants us dead, but it's the context to which some of their extremists get their philosophy from.

Being a "moderate" Muslim might just mean they're "moderate" from a very extreme POV.  When "moderates" supports Sharia law.... that's not really "moderate" by mainstream Western values... that's pretty much extreme. 

Even crazy Christians like those that goes off protesting with signs saying, "God Hates F***s".... they're way more moderate than the average Muslim.  I mean for the most part, those wacko Christians may wish eternal damnation to certain segments of the population, but they don't outright go out of their way to try to send there via less natural means.  You can't say the same for pretty much almost every Muslim nation in the world. 

This guy is a moderate or radical?  What's an average Muslim? 

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/quebecer-arrested-in-online-murder-threats-against-arabs-1.2664095

20 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Where the hell do you guys get this from? :lol: Have you actually talked to any Muslims?

2 hours ago, J.R. said:

Where the hell do you guys get this from? :lol: Have you actually talked to any Muslims?

Big difference between Canadians who just happens to belong to the Muslim faith versus people on the other side of the world who takes it a tad too serious.  I mean, I have a Muslim friend who eats a bacon cheeseburger once in a while.  He said it's okay as long as he doesn't eat it at home.  But then again, he's not the type of Muslim most people are worried about. 

As for the polls...

gsi2-chp1-3

http://www.pewforum.org/2013/04/30/the-worlds-muslims-religion-politics-society-beliefs-about-sharia/

Not saying they're all terrorists, but their position on the spectrum of values are vastly different from ours.  Moderate from them might not necessarily mean moderate for us. 

In my wife's LINC class, she has a classmate who is from Palestine.  He's Muslim and is very moderate.  Very polite to everyone, dress the same as you and me.  You can't even identify his nationality or religious background unless he told you.  Vehemently against terrorism and anything associated with it.  Yet at the same time, his wife and daughter wears the niqab, and I don't think they can hang out with other dudes.  Not saying he's a bad guy, since he's not, but as modern and relatively liberal as he is, it's still very far from the regular norms we expect in Canada. 

Just saying, if I told everyone here that I demand/expect my wife to not leave home to be in the presence of any other male and I pretty much choose her choice of clothes, most people here would automatically picture me as some drunk dude wearing a wifebeater and probably with a wild temper. 

7 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Big difference between Canadians who just happens to belong to the Muslim faith versus people on the other side of the world who takes it a tad too serious.  I mean, I have a Muslim friend who eats a bacon cheeseburger once in a while.  He said it's okay as long as he doesn't eat it at home.  But then again, he's not the type of Muslim most people are worried about. 

Why would this be a problem? Especially if the beef was halal?

It's pork Muslims do not eat.

1 minute ago, nuckin_futz said:

Why would this be a problem? Especially if the beef was halal?

It's pork Muslims do not eat.

11 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

mean, I have a Muslim friend who eats a bacon cheeseburger once in a while. 

28 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

As for the polls...

gsi2-chp1-3

http://www.pewforum.org/2013/04/30/the-worlds-muslims-religion-politics-society-beliefs-about-sharia/

Not saying they're all terrorists, but their position on the spectrum of values are vastly different from ours.  Moderate from them might not necessarily mean moderate for us. 

In my wife's LINC class, she has a classmate who is from Palestine.  He's Muslim and is very moderate.  Very polite to everyone, dress the same as you and me.  You can't even identify his nationality or religious background unless he told you.  Vehemently against terrorism and anything associated with it.  Yet at the same time, his wife and daughter wears the niqab, and I don't think they can hang out with other dudes.  Not saying he's a bad guy, since he's not, but as modern and relatively liberal as he is, it's still very far from the regular norms we expect in Canada. 

Just saying, if I told everyone here that I demand/expect my wife to not leave home to be in the presence of any other male and I pretty much choose her choice of clothes, most people here would automatically picture me as some drunk dude wearing a wifebeater and probably with a wild temper. 

Oh man. How much of your values do you share with the Tea Party? Actually, don't answer that. 

You know misogynistic societies aren't limited to Muslims, right? My close friend's family is pretty backward Christian. Mom cooked and popped babies out, wears a head cover to this day, and has no say about anything, ever. Same with sister. Same with half their clan (8 kids, some siblings have around a dozen of their own, you do the math). Yet, for some reason most second generation Muslims in Canada are indistinguishable from the rest of the population. Second? Even first, short of wearing their traditional garb.

There was a time in Canada when Canadians were afraid of Irish Catholics. Ukrainians. Jews. Vietnamese boat people. Indians. All looking for refuge. Today it's Muslims Syrians.

You know, if you told everyone that, nobody would actually try to kick you out of Canada for not sharing "Canadian Values". You can be as redneck white trash as you want, and a Muslim can be as backward as he wants to be. In Canada, we live and let live. Isn't that one of the most important of these "Canadian Values"? We have laws to keep people from crossing lines and jails to punish ones who do. 

Archived