The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning on Vancouver 1040

Alexandre

3 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Bartkowski isn't going to strike fear or threaten any of the larger forwards in the league. They'll just look at his ridiculous mustache and laugh.

C'mon, it's Mo-vember.  If you're going to give somebody a hard time over their Mo how about Virtanen.

18 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Well Benning didn't mention an urgency either. He did however mention we are going through a transition period. He also said that trades are hard to make.

Regardless, I think urgency would just get us in trouble in the end. Instigate some trades, at least more than what Gillis and Nonis did, but don't rush them either. We're looking to make a good team, not a rushed team. ;)

I think we do need to have a bit of urgency when it comes to making the sorts of trades that are out there right now. Hamonic is clearly on the block, Barrie might be as well and there are a lot of struggling teams that would be looking for a shakeup right now. Trades are certainly done over a long period of time and I'm sure they're hard to make, but good GMs and good teams find ways to make them in opportunistic windows.

This Hamonic opportunity is about as opportunistic as it gets. We need a mid-20 something right handed, physical shutdown defenceman to play alongside Hutton for now and in the future. Hamonic wants out of NYI and to come to Western Canada. It literally does not get more perfect than that. Benning has to show some urgency in that situation because Winnipeg and Edmonton would jump all over that chance.

3 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I think we do need to have a bit of urgency when it comes to making the sorts of trades that are out there right now. Hamonic is clearly on the block, Barrie might be as well and there are a lot of struggling teams that would be looking for a shakeup right now. Trades are certainly done over a long period of time and I'm sure they're hard to make, but good GMs and good teams find ways to make them in opportunistic windows.

This Hamonic opportunity is about as opportunistic as it gets. We need a mid-20 something right handed, physical shutdown defenceman to play alongside Hutton for now and in the future. Hamonic wants out of NYI and to come to Western Canada. It literally does not get more perfect than that. Benning has to show some urgency in that situation because Winnipeg and Edmonton would jump all over that chance.

I really like your idea to get Hamonic to lay with Hutton.  That could be an excellent first pairing.

4 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Who would we give up for Hamonic?  Keep in mind that Benning said unequivocally that he's not giving up his young talent. 

This is why he settled for Bartkowski imo.

I'm reasonably confident that JB is aware that we could use some help on defence, but I hope he's smarter than going out to the media and stating that he's busy shopping for a high end D.  That's like going into a car dealership and stating that you love X car and simply have to have it.  Price automatically goes up or at minimum you lose your bargaining leverage.  He's stated several times he's not going to mortgage the future by trading our youth to upgrade the present team.  I hope he sticks with that and hangs on to the great kids we have both on the team and preparing in the wings to play with the Canucks in years to come.

5 hours ago, HC20.0 said:

I love the Sedin's quietly taking Jared and Jake aside for 10 minutes to talk to them about their game. That's true leadership right there.

Part of me hopes they were talking about the Walking Dead for 9 of those minutes.  :P

2 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Who would we give up for Hamonic?  Keep in mind that Benning said unequivocally that he's not giving up his young talent. 

This is why he settled for Bartkowski imo.

Understandable, but unfortunately the guy Benning settled for is showing exactly why he played himself out of the line up in Boston.

Carrying the puck into the offensive zone with his skating (once or twice a game) is just about the only quality I see.  Other than that Bartkowski is a liability in our own zone just like Weber, bobbles the puck as often as Edler, and shoots the puck with the velocity of Hamhuis'... Hey, we got ourselves a great 3-in-1 deal even before Black Friday!     

Rome and Alberts were more serviceable, cheaper and meaner 5th/6th Dman.   

4 hours ago, JamesB said:

This is a bit off topic but I need to get rid of my frustration somehow. I occasionally turn on the Bro Jake show in the morning after I have temporarily forgotten how bad they are.

One thing I don't like is that they are always going on about popular music, movies, TV shows, celebrities, etc. And their comments really inane -- less interesting than what my co-workers have to say over lunch. And with my co-workers I don't  have to listen to advertisements.

I get the feeling that Bro Jake is a Letterman wannabe (or maybe an Oprah wannabe) -- that he does not really care that much about the Canucks, hockey more broadly, or sports in general. He would much rather be a general entertainment talk show host.

I don't understand the recent personnel moves at TSN 1040.

This is the topic I would like to comment on. Most of the stuff Benning said has already been discussed in various treads or is unsurprising given how the team is unfolding before our eyes. The only thing he said that surprised me is about looking to add a forward.

Lol ..inane, lacking sense, significance or ideas, silly. Had to look it up to refresh my memory. Yeah that describes Bro Jake. I just can't endure those two and therefore can't comment too much about them. When I turn them on I have to turn them off as soon as possible.

Pratt to me is worse though because I hate his rumour mongering. Trying to create controversy is wrong. Also if you are going to speculate, do some homework so that you don't look so dumb. He talks hockey but his knowledge is poor and the way he talks, well I can't come up with a good word like you did but I hate it :angry:. It is all irritating noise. To top it off you have tons of commercials. Way too much commercials. If it weren't for the guests, radio would be dead to me.

I used to listen to Dan Russell's Sport Talk mostly. Although he treated some of his callers like crap, at least he knew hockey and therefore could be critical of the Canuck's in a fair and knowledgeable way (until he became a Tony Gallagher clone). He was easy to listen to, not irritating and mainly talked about hockey. He also had a lot of hockey guests. These days I only listen to hockey guests and good analysts. The rest I fast forward or turn off.

Pratt is a blowhard, Bro is not knowledgeable about sports. Still listen to them and switch to 1410 Mike and Mike as soon as the topic is anything other than hockey. 

Great recap OP. 

Edit. Dan Russel was the best. He knew the game of hockey. Enjoyed listening to him. 

17 minutes ago, 1-d said:

Understandable, but unfortunately the guy Benning settled for is showing exactly why he played himself out of the line up in Boston.

Carrying the puck into the offensive zone with his skating (once or twice a game) is just about the only quality I see.  Other than that Bartkowski is a liability in our own zone just like Weber, bobbles the puck as often as Edler, and shoots the puck with the velocity of Hamhuis'... Hey, we got ourselves a great 3-in-1 deal even before Black Friday!     

Rome and Alberts were more serviceable, cheaper and meaner 5th/6th Dman.   

Ah yes, you must be right. Now if you could remind me, what teams do Rome and Alberts play for this season?

10 minutes ago, Gstank29 said:

Well John as said Carolinia is following the Canucks around. Skinner is a goal scorer. THE CANUCKS WANT JEFF SKINNER

::D

Man, if we got Skinner that would be terrible. I like the guys skill, but he is one or two big hits away from being a softer, slower Booth. Too much at risk with a young player that has had previous concussion issues like his.

20 minutes ago, jstewboy said:

Ah yes, you must be right. Now if you could remind me, what teams do Rome and Alberts play for this season?

Since you're asking nicely -- Rome played in AHL but currently a UFA. Alberts retired because of the concussion he took from McGratan' elbow to the head.

I mentioned them as the ideal "profile" of bottom pairing d-men. I wasn't implying we should have signed those two in particular.

23 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Pratt is a blowhard, Bro is not knowledgeable about sports. Still listen to them and switch to 1410 Mike and Mike as soon as the topic is anything other than hockey. 

Great recap OP. 

Edit. Dan Russel was the best. He knew the game of hockey. Enjoyed listening to him. 

Blowhard, this is the word I was looking for to describe Pratt. Blowhard "an exceptionally boastful and talkative person". Pratt in a nutshell. Kudos to you.

Might have to check out Mike and Mike.

1 minute ago, 1-d said:

Since you're asking nicely -- Rome is playing in AHL. Alberts retired because of the concussion he took from McGratan' elbow to the head.

I mentioned them as the ideal "profile" of bottom pairing d-men. I wasn't implying we should have signed those two in particular.

I forgot about Alberts, my bad. But it is a little unfair to say Bart is less of a D-man than either of them is a bit of a stretch. He has the same amount of points as Alberts ever had in a season as a Canuck and 3 less than Rome had. In 24 games. That obviously isn't the whole game of a bottom pairing defenceman but he has more offensive worth while maintaing an even +/-. 

It's easy to look back and remember the positives of Rome and Alberts, but people had their griefs while they were members of the Canucks as well. 

Bart is a few years younger and is definitely serviceable. Would be a bad look to view him less than a couple of D who were scratched/injured for 50%+ of the time they were Canucks. 

**1 D**

What ever you think of Bartkowski, I'm sure he's not the 2nd coming of Aaron Rome.  Bart is a bridge player and Benning knew he was a plug who could skate and skating is what he wanted but that is not my point.  My point is that in order to preserve the members of the future Canucks, Benning is not going to use them to acquire players who will only help the team in the short to mid term.

So sorry, there will be no Hamonic and there will be no Johansen as tempting as they may be to try to acquire because they are just too rich and the asset pool of the Canucks is just not deep enough for Benning to stray from his larger plan.

Archived