The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

New NHL.com App / Website

Rocksterh8

I suspect some people are hating because they dislike change. Probably not all, but some of the dislike is probably for that reason.

Personally, the main page is decent for me. Not super great, but it gets the job done. Less efficient, but much cleaner looking. That said, I love the way individual player pages look. Way more visually appealing. Again though, it is a bit less efficient for the user.

The new NHL.com site looks horrible. Far too much white space, images far too big, far too much advertising, boxscores much more difficult to read. It's like they just don't care about user feedback - other major sites, such as the BBC, run a beta test for a good while and give you the opportunity to try it, test it, feedback...and they don't always implement the test sites either.

What the NHL has done, yet again, is forget its audience. It's the fans who keep the league alive. Ask the fans what they want from their NHL site, and work with that. Don't just re-design a great site without need.

On 2016/2/1 at 0:44 PM, ajhockey said:

I suspect some people are hating because they dislike change. Probably not all, but some of the dislike is probably for that reason.

Personally, the main page is decent for me. Not super great, but it gets the job done. Less efficient, but much cleaner looking. That said, I love the way individual player pages look. Way more visually appealing. Again though, it is a bit less efficient for the user.

I legitimately hate the new change because it looks extremely cluttered with the way they have listed all the games. It's particularly noticeable on a busy game day. You have to scroll all the way down and there's a chance that you'd miss a team in the process. Whereas before, you could see it at a glance. Much simpler.

Of course I'll probably get used to it, but it doesn't mean that it was a better improvement. If it really did improve its visuals, then yes, I'd be ok for change. It just feels like it took a few steps back with this update.

Really don't like it. I liked having all the team websites at the top, for quick access. Don't like the way the scores are laid out, there's no quick "highlights" button. And you have to scroll and scroll and scroll to see stuff. Very annoying. Also, not a fan of how the "leading scorers" page is organized, you can only see the leader of each category, but not the rest of the runner-ups.

Seems like a downgrade to me.

Edit: Not to mention the millions of tabs it opens up whenever you try to see game's boxscores.

28 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

I legitimately hate the new change because it looks extremely cluttered with the way they have listed all the games. It's particularly noticeable on a busy game day. You have to scroll all the way down and there's a chance that you'd miss a team in the process. Whereas before, you could see it at a glance. Much simpler.

Of course I'll probably get used to it, but it doesn't mean that it was a better improvement. If it really did improve its visuals, then yes, I'd be ok for change. It just feels like it took a few steps back with this update.

I can agree with you to some extent. As I said, it does seem like the sacrificed efficiency for appearance.

Usually I'm totally onboard with redesigns, but I hate this one. 

There's way too much whitespace and not enough information. There's not enough contrast in the main content area. There's too much space between everything. 

It works a bit better on mobile but also loads slower overall. 

Meh. 

Archived