The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Big Buff, TO's Phnuff...Dmen Trade Prospects Drying Up

TheGuardian_

8 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

I wouldn't be in an indecent rush if there aren't a lot (even any) comparable D on the market.  Get the auction going and let the buyers' agony build but then yes, end it a bit in advance of the deadline. 

Why... Those deadline deals are cooked long before deadline day.

1 minute ago, Jack Fig said:

I know this is kind of an ugly thing to do to a good man like Dan Hamhuis, but if I were JB, I'd advise him that the team has no interest in re-signing him in the summer, thereby almost insuring that Hammer feel the need to go elsewhere at TDL to show himself and up his stock for another contract somewhere. A good playoff run could earn him plenty more dollars come July 1.

I don't care what kind of return Hamhuis would bring us in this environment, with how he's played for us and what he's given this team you don't do that to him. He deserves so much better and if he is willing to waive his NTC then you trade him the right way with the respect that Hammer has earned.

Just now, Me_ said:

Why... Those deadline deals are cooked long before deadline day.

So what are you saying, that bidding wars don't happen?  Of course they start before deadline day and my post said that we should end the auction before then.  But the supply and demand situation does look to be very favourable to us, and I'm sure JB will milk it if there are multiple desperate bidders. 

19 minutes ago, Mattrek said:

I don't care what kind of return Hamhuis would bring us in this environment, with how he's played for us and what he's given this team you don't do that to him. He deserves so much better and if he is willing to waive his NTC then you trade him the right way with the respect that Hammer has earned.

I get that. But I guess I want to win more than you do.

43 minutes ago, Mattrek said:

It's not show friends , It's show business 

45 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

So what are you saying, that bidding wars don't happen?  Of course they start before deadline day and my post said that we should end the auction before then.  But the supply and demand situation does look to be very favourable to us, and I'm sure JB will milk it if there are multiple desperate bidders. 

There are bidding wars for sure. Benning might be involved in one with Hamhuis, especially if the trend of diminishing supply continues.

I would not be surprised to find out about etiquette in performing in a bidding war. I think Gillis crossed the line somehow several times in bidding wars; I feel many deals did not happen because of it.

1 hour ago, cuporbust said:

He's got 4 months left on his contract. There is zero chance he says no. Maybe if he hated Vancouver he would, but he doesn't so..

Why do you say that? He's got a family here, and likely wouldn't want to have to move them at this time in the year, or be apart from them until he has a new contract somewhere. We have to remember, for a lot of these guys hockey isn't their #1 priority (rightfully so). He might be looking to sign here again for a discounted price, just to stay. Especially for a guy like Hammer, he's not just thinking about winning.

So I'd say he has pretty good reasons to say no. In fact a lot of it could have to do with how much he likes it here.

17 minutes ago, Captain Can said:

Why do you say that? He's got a family here, and likely wouldn't want to have to move them at this time in the year, or be apart from them until he has a new contract somewhere. We have to remember, for a lot of these guys hockey isn't their #1 priority (rightfully so). He might be looking to sign here again for a discounted price, just to stay. Especially for a guy like Hammer, he's not just thinking about winning.

So I'd say he has pretty good reasons to say no. In fact a lot of it could have to do with how much he likes it here.

I could see hammer coming back to Vancouver simply because at the later stages of a players career. they're not just thinking about themselves especially if they have kids. they're thinking about family. and moving to another city is challenging for children and their wives to begin afresh. if hammer is traded. you can bet he's very open to coming back. he's made his millions. I wouldn't be surprised if he took a discount (as long as it's reasonable. it is still business after all). and if he doesn't come back. it's nothing personal. just business. 

would love hammer to be a part of Canucks staff once he's done. would be awesome to have him work with some of the younger defensive prospects. 

Well for ufa defenseman left...

1.yandle

2.goligoski

3.demers

4.hamhuis

5.campbell

and 4/5 are unlikely to be dealt as all of their teams are in a playoff position so this could be the hamhuis sweepstakes...1st pick + B level prospect is possible once teams start bidding 

37 minutes ago, Captain Can said:

Yes, older players with families may be less inclined to move around than younger or single players. I'm guessing that it's a big part of the value in having NTC and NMC for some guys - stability for their personal lives as much as loyalty to the club.

1 minute ago, steviewonder20 said:

I remember when CDC was creaming their collective pants hoping he would "choose us" over Edmonton. How times change.

thats what happens when your minus 71 in 4 yr career guys a overrated bum who waned guaranteed top four minutes to sign   his value is zero especially at his crappy salary

2 hours ago, Me_ said:

There are bidding wars for sure. Benning might be involved in one with Hamhuis, especially if the trend of diminishing supply continues.

I would not be surprised to find out about etiquette in performing in a bidding war. I think Gillis crossed the line somehow several times in bidding wars; I feel many deals did not happen because of it.

For sure Gillis rubbed a lot of other GMs the wrong way.  Not sure if it was in bidding wars since there may not have been that kind of interest in Luongo or Schneider, but if we ever get the full story on what did and didn't happen there I'm sure it won't all look that good on Gillis.

hope the ham-juice goes to play with trotz and ovechkin.  i might care about the playoffs.  i'd love to see dan hoist the cup !!!  it would be almost as good as willie mitchell hoisting the cup in port hardy the year after we let him go.  wish you all the best danny !!!  maybe the cup will make a trip to smithers this year.

We are in a rebuild they should listen on Edler/Hamhuis/Tanev if its first round picks.Three first round defensemen added to Hutton,Pedan,tryamkin,Brisboise would round out the d Corp and still use our number one for an offensive player.We have guys in the minors and one or two free agents next year as a stop gap.

You have to think there are more guys in play on D than we know though. Phaneuf was really not talked about much at all and whatta ya know. BUT there will be likely be more surprise dmen moved especially in a sellers market. Some GMs are smart and capitalize on markets when the time is right. GM's are not players friends. Generally speaking the GM doesnt associate with players closely they stand back and deal with reports from coaches etc. You treat players with respect but when the time comes you do what you must. Ie Wally Buono

Archived