The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I've been to the future.... (caution: SPOILER ALERT)

darkpoet

The Province                                                                                                  June 15, 2018
news and sports / Canucks
by darkpoet

The Vancouver Canucks have done the unimaginable, and have become the first National Hockey League sports team in modern history to complete an undefeated season, including a 4 series sweep of the Stanley Cup Playoffs to win their first ever Championship.
After a gruelling 82 game marathon, the team ended the regular season with a perfect record of 82-0-0 for a record setting 164 points.

Adding a third Presidents Trophy to their showcase was not the only surprise the team had in store this season for it's long suffering fan base however. 
Not to be outdone (by themselves), the Canucks had consecutive sweeps over the Dallas Stars, Nashville Predators, Chicago Blackhawks, and finally, the Boston Bruins.
Lead by newly minted team Captain, 22 year old Bo Horvat, the Canucks were simply too much for every opponent they faced, most nights overpowering the opposition to such an extent that reports were heard of audible post game whimpering emanating from the visitor's dressing room.
With forward lines consisting of Horvat, Shinkaruk, Baertschi, Sutter, Virtanen, McCann, Boeser and the Sedins - not one player recorded less that 60 points. 

As if the ungodly offensive assault wasn't humbling enough, the emergence of likely the best goaltending duo in NHL history comprised of Jakob Markstrom and Thatcher Demko had opposing forces frustrated to no end - posting a combined 36 shutouts and a save percentage of .949

After the final horn of the 2017/2018 season, Claude Julien, head coach of the Boston Bruins had this to say....

" (sighs) Well, I'd like to stand here and tell you that the world will never again see this kind of performance by a professional hockey team, but I'd be lying. They look poised to become a dynasty the likes of which we haven't seen since the Edmonton Oilers and New York Islanders of the 1980's. It's actually worse (for us) than that, because this Canucks team is better than both of them, by far. I just don't see anyone capable of stopping them. Just winning a game right now is cause for celebration. We did our best but it just wasn't good enough. Not even close."

Asked about the status of Brad Marchand, who was taken off the ice on a stretcher by Canucks medical staff late in the 2nd period after a fight with Daniel Sedin, he added further:

"I told him back in 2011 - you better not go to hard on those two guys. They are tough as nails. Just because they don't fight doesn't mean you can just run around and torpedo them and throw punches without impunity. Don't mistake their kindness for weakness. He just laughed at me then but he's not laughing now. 
He's missing a few teeth and broke his nose when he hit the ice... concussed obviously. Physically he'll be fine. Emotionally, i think I can speak for our entire organization here. this is going to take a while to get over. That's all.."

It's estimated that close to 300,000 fans gathered in downtown Vancouver in a peaceful but exuberant celebration that lasted into the wee hours of the morning.
Reports coming in saw members of the Vancouver Police Department not only keeping the peace, but unloading kegs of beer from the rear of their patrol vans onto the Sea Wall, close to the statue of Lord Stanley, much to the delight of everyone in the vicinity.

It seems the VPD have been waiting a long time for the Stanley Cup to finally come home as well.

We all have.

Finally. Our game, our time. Our team. We are all Canucks!

1 hour ago, darkpoet said:

It's estimated that close to 300,000 fans gathered in downtown Vancouver in a peaceful but exuberant celebration that lasted into the wee hours of the morning.

Damn, up until here it was pretty realistic, but now I know you're bs'ing us.

Archived