The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

-30 club

hatrix

Vrbata is poison to whomever team mates he has.  Its a yuuuuuge disadvantage. Its like playing on a line with 2.5 players. A floater that refuses to engage in the physical aspect of the game. So because of that, Vrby is always giving up the puck and it goes back the other way regularly for a scoring chance. Then he skates back but is also terrible without the puck and basically just waves his stick around and hopes someone else gets the puck back.

Especially taking into account his cap hit, I can't wait until he is off the team.

34 minutes ago, Blueberries said:

Last time I checked which was yesterday Baer was -5. Bo was -30. It's weird how they've played on the same line the entire year yet there is a -25 difference.

Baertschi was sheltered for the first few months, while Horvat was handling the harder minutes left behind by an absent Sutter.

1 hour ago, hatrix said:

Was checking plus minus as I was sure that Horvat finally reached the plateau thanks to Willie's magnificent line deployments (bad changes, all defensive zone draws, empty nets, etc), and lazy line mates.  So many times I saw him just getting on the ice while the other team scores because the center coming off was changing late and out of position (Vey/Hank), earning him another beautiful -1.

Yea let's blame everyone and everything but Bo for Bo's terrible plus minus.

50 minutes ago, Blueberries said:

Last time I checked which was yesterday Baer was -5. Bo was -30. It's weird how they've played on the same line the entire year yet there is a -25 difference.

Bad changes, putting Bo out every time there is a D-zone draw. 

Bo did get off to a bad start,but I think that his minuses have increased because he plays on the PK,and he's been on the ice for countless empty netters by the opposing team..

Baertschi has been responsible defensively..Even in last nights Calgary game he was + 1.

4 minutes ago, Grape said:

I'd actually tell you Bo is probably a victim of his own success. With Henrik ailing, and Sutter out Bo is one of the better centers we currently have to put on the ice in pressure situations.

Bo is a lot better than his +/- numbers indicate.

Bo is fine, good even. 

Radim on the other hand, I don't get it. 

Does he know he's going to be traded? 

Does he want the Canucks to get as little as possible in return? 

Does he believe he can just turn it on again with his new team?

Is he injured?

Cuz he is worse than awful.

The play dies on his stick; either he hurriedly passes it as soon as it arrives or takes a low percentage shot.

He's not keeping up with the play, looks overweight, puffy, and out of breath/desire.

We're gonna be lucky to get much of anything for him and probably going to eat some of his salary to boot!

I am starting to wonder if there is no downside to sitting him or even putting him on waivers.

Last game was his best in a while and it stunk too.

12 minutes ago, Grape said:

For a stat that does not consider context and is often determined by events that are completely out of his control, how can you not give credit to the confounding variables?

It's utterly frustrating to watch him dump the puck along the boards where we don't have a man, or to ring it around the boards to an unheld end when he has a man who could get it in the corner on his own side.

He constantly throws pucks into traffic where a Canuck is either absent or outnumbered 3 to 1.

He constantly throws skates into the BACKS of skates.

He has no hustle.

Completely done with Vrby. The ship has sailed, take your pay check and get out.

1 hour ago, Madwolf said:

It's utterly frustrating to watch him dump the puck along the boards where we don't have a man, or to ring it around the boards to an unheld end when he has a man who could get it in the corner on his own side.

He constantly throws pucks into traffic where a Canuck is either absent or outnumbered 3 to 1.

He constantly throws skates into the BACKS of skates.

He has no hustle.

Completely done with Vrby. The ship has sailed, take your pay check and get out.

Got a highlight?  Cause this would be fun to watch.

1 hour ago, Grape said:

I agree that it's wrong to blame it on other players, but I also think that there's little reason for the blame game in the first place.

We're talking about a 20 year old, who's been thrust into a role mostly likely a year or two before he was ready for it. Personally, I think -30 is not surprising. I'd be more surprised if he managed to stay anywhere near even.

2 hours ago, hatrix said:

Was checking plus minus as I was sure that Horvat finally reached the plateau thanks to Willie's magnificent line deployments (bad changes, all defensive zone draws, empty nets, etc), and lazy line mates.  So many times I saw him just getting on the ice while the other team scores because the center coming off was changing late and out of position (Vey/Hank), earning him another beautiful -1.

Sure enough he is now -30.  I thought he would be the leader of the NHL, but then I just realized that for some reason Vrbata is actually the real leader at -32 :D. 

(For the record, I think only Horvat, Hutton, and Markstrom are our next cornerstones. Everyone else on the current roster should be moved and replaced.)

Why stop at Horvat, Hutton, and Markstrom?  Trade 'em all for picks, default for 5 years and cheer for Seattle when they are awarded an expansion team?

2 hours ago, DonaldBrashear said:

While i agree that horvat has been left out to dry you dont make it to -30 by accident. HORVAT has had a terrible year defensively. He has a lot of work to do next year but people forget hes only 20. He just wasnt ready to play on the 2nd line in top match ups.

Exactly, there's no point shifting the blame onto others. Horvat is just as much at fault for that stat as his linemates are. He will improve as a player and so will his +/-, but this hasn't been a great year for him in his own end.

Just now, Van 'Nuck said:

Sorry to sound stupid but, if you get scored on during special teams, is that a minus. Like when you are in a penalty kill then the poweplay score is that a minus for horvat?

Powerplays and pk's don't count..... only even strength.

Archived