The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What are we getting in Gudbranson?

xereau

17 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Going to be stoked to see Gudbranson/Edler pair up during games

I think Gudbranson will play with Hutton on the second pairing. Assuming that Tryamkin plays on the third pairing, I guess with Sbisa, and with Edler on the first pairing (with Tanev) that gives the Canucks significant size and strength on all three pairings. And with Pedan waiting in the wings, suddenly the Canuck D looks strong and tough. With all due respect to Bartkowski, Weber and Biega, that was a pretty feeble bottom 3 on the depth chart. However, I still don't see where the scoring will come from. I guess the plan is for Hutton to develop into a good offensive defenceman and for Edler to have a rebound season.

8 minutes ago, JamesB said:

I think Gudbranson will play with Hutton on the second pairing. Assuming that Tryamkin plays on the third pairing, I guess with Sbisa, and with Edler on the first pairing (with Tanev) that gives the Canucks significant size and strength on all three pairings. And with Pedan waiting in the wings, suddenly the Canuck D looks strong and tough. With all due respect to Bartkowski, Weber and Biega, that was a pretty feeble bottom 3 on the depth chart. However, I still don't see where the scoring will come from. I guess the plan is for Hutton to develop into a good offensive defenceman and for Edler to have a rebound season.

I think everyone expects Hutton/Gudbranson to be a regular pairing and that's fair to say.  If it doesn't work out and/or Lidster/WD want to experiment, seeing those two on the ice together might be a treat.

8 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Or maybe we re-sign Hamhuis and move Sbisa:

Edler, Tanev

Hutton/Hamhuis, Gudbranson

Hamhuis/Hutton, Tryamkin

Pedan, Larsen

1 minute ago, TheGuardian_ said:

IMO, Tryamkin is already ahead on the skill department and should be given a chance at top four minutes.

This trade does not help the Canucks offensively at all.

You're opinion = :lol:

5 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Edler, Tanev

Hamhuis/Hutton, Tryamkin

Pedan, Larsen

I would strongly favor that move (re-signing Hammer and moving Sbisa, maybe for a 2nd round pick). I will cheer if that happens, but I just don't see Benning doing it. He never seems to have been very positive about Hammer and he always seems to over-rate Sbisa. Obviously Benning likes the toughness that Sbisa brings to the table but I would be a lot happier with Hammer as LD on the third pairing (with Tryamkin at RD). And, as you point out, Hutton's development might be smoother if he drops to the 3rd pairing and Hammer plays on the second pairing.

I hope it happens but am not holding my breath.

Do y'all really think Guddy will be quick to drop the gloves and stick up for his Canucks teammates? The same was said about Prusty, and we see how well that worked out. 

With that said, I am actually very pleased with the trade. We need more big bodies on the back end, and our center depth didn't leave much room for Canner- who I still maintain has a high ceiling. I believe GMJB when he said it hurt to let him go. Your have to give to get, etc.

2 minutes ago, J.R. said:

You're opinion = :lol:

How many games of Gudbranson's have you seen?

How many of Tryamkin's?

Can you tell good hockey from bad?

If you answer any of these questions then you have an opinion as well.

Mine is just based on the small sample size that I have seen or looked up in the myriad of stat web pages.

Tryamkin, so far .15 points per game, Gudbranson, .14 point per game

And very true, my opinion makes no matter to the Canucks management, the only thing that does is my wallet.

1 minute ago, TheGuardian_ said:

How many games of Gudbranson's have you seen?

How many of Tryamkin's?

Can you tell good hockey from bad?

If you answer any of these questions then you have an opinion as well.

Mine is just based on the small sample size that I have seen or looked up in the myriad of stat web pages.

Tryamkin, so far .15 points per game, Gudbranson, .14 point per game

And very true, my opinion makes no matter to the Canucks management, the only thing that does is my wallet.

There's more to playing hockey than PPG. 

17 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Edler, Tanev

Hamhuis/Hutton, Tryamkin

Pedan, Larsen

I'd be quite happy with that, if we could manage to trade Sbisa without retaining any salary.

Not that I don't like Sbisa. I just don't see him becoming a regular top-4 defenseman. And if he tops out as a #5, I'd rather use his salary somewhere else.

Re-signing Hamhuis would give us a superior player for right now and a guy who provides more stability, leadership, mentoring, and even offense (compared to Sbisa). Maybe we lose some of Sbisa's (occasional) physicality, but we're not exactly going to be soft with Gudbranson, Tryamkin, and Edler (plus Pedan waiting in the wings).

Hamhuis should be good enough for long enough to see the defense through a rebuild. And I think he's got at least 2-3 years worth of being a better defender than Sbisa. So I'd be happy to apply Sbisa's salary to an extension for Hamhuis and hopefully add a pick in the process (by trading Sbisa).

1 minute ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I'd be quite happy with that, if we could manage to trade Sbisa without retaining any salary.

Not that I don't like Sbisa. I just don't see him becoming a regular top-4 defenseman. And if he tops out as a #5, I'd rather use his salary somewhere else.

Re-signing Hamhuis would give us a superior player for right now and a guy who provides more stability, leadership, mentoring, and even offense (compared to Sbisa). Maybe we lose some of Sbisa's (occasional) physicality, but we're not exactly going to be soft with Gudbranson, Tryamkin, and Edler (plus Pedan waiting in the wings).

Hamhuis should be good enough for long enough to see the defense through a rebuild. And I think he's got at least 2-3 years worth of being a better defender than Sbisa. So I'd be happy to apply Sbisa's salary to an extension for Hamhuis and hopefully add a pick in the process (by trading Sbisa).

Yup ::D

Archived