The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Emerson Etem | #26 | RW

-SN-

4 hours ago, austy said:

i have wondered about etem's skating as well. he seems to over balance a bit. he is obviously strong though. maybe a skating coach or something needed? he looked pretty decent i think last night. made  a good plays and was close to getting an assist or two. i think at this stage he gives you more than labate. 

Fair, he had a better game but he was horrendous before that so take the oiler game with a grain of salt. I think it's too late to get a skating coach for him at this stage unless he's willing to go down to the AHL. We been criticizing Virtanen for having plays die when the puck is on his stick, and I think no one does that more than Etem. He skates with his head down with and without the puck. 

1 hour ago, junglesniper said:

Fair, he had a better game but he was horrendous before that so take the oiler game with a grain of salt. I think it's too late to get a skating coach for him at this stage unless he's willing to go down to the AHL. We been criticizing Virtanen for having plays die when the puck is on his stick, and I think no one does that more than Etem. He skates with his head down with and without the puck. 

yeah he doesnt inspire confidence with his shooting. but he does hold possession, moves the puck out of our zone and seems good on puck retrieval...but yeah thats were it ends, maybe thats ok for a 4th line guy? 

My take on Etem is that he is inconsistent and doesn't have the best hands and shot, but his effort (generally speaking), speed, and size make him a decent 4th liner. 

The guy had a brutal camp, but we saw flashes last season that excited us so we know what he is capable of. 

The issue as I see it is that WD has already said he is keeping the players who show best in camp.  If he sticks true to his word, then that means Etem should be gone, as he was outplayed by almost everyone. 

I think it would be a shame to lose Etem though. As much as he hasn't impressed in camp, I think many projected him to be around a 3rd liner this season, and I do think (camp aside) he is indeed at that level when he's on his game.  

The Canuck roster is still desperate for size up front and Etem has that. He should be a motivated player but who knows how he thinks? Virtanen can be sent to Utica at no risk and perhaps he should go down for a 20 -30 game stint. That would allow a updated assessment of Etem. After that many games other NHL teams might be looking for another project. Van is developing prospect depth and managing these assets will become as important as picking them.

His spot was guaranteed when he signed the deal this summer. Having his child during training camp made the Canucks sympathetic to his cause. Looks good on Vancouver in the eyes of the NHLPA.

As long as it doesn't cost Gauncer his spot , I'm all for Etem staying.

I'll be sure to remember some of these haters come mid season.

1 hour ago, Western Red said:

His spot was guaranteed when he signed the deal this summer. Having his child during training camp made the Canucks sympathetic to his cause. Looks good on Vancouver in the eyes of the NHLPA.

Ooooh, dem's fighting words. And what stakes are YOU going to put down on the table? It better not be nothing or your words mean squat.

Don't hate Etem.  He seems like a really nice guy.  Just don't believe he's earned a roster spot.  He's not the only one though: Burr and Larsen don't deserve spots either.  Oh, and Biega

4 hours ago, Western Red said:

Etem was never a guarantee for anything. Kids, no kids, nice guy or not. He has done nothing to secure his spot. A procreating nice guy is guaranteed nothing, I know because I am one. :-)

Just now, Realtor Rod said:

Etem was never a guarantee for anything. Kids, no kids, nice guy or not. He has done nothing to secure his spot. A procreating nice guy is guaranteed nothing, I know because I am one. :-)

Stick to Realty and planting seeds. You're right it wasn't truly a guarantee, but WTF would your bloodsucking type know about that?

1 minute ago, Realtor Rod said:

Ok.

Your OP suggests you're on par with a professional athlete. You're not.

We don't live in the hockey world. But it makes too much sense for JB to get Etem at the 700k amount and have him paraded around town in the rainbow happy fest to turn around and waive him a month or two later. Again, NHLPA and future FA hopefuls.

45 minutes ago, Western Red said:

We don't live in the hockey world. But it makes too much sense for JB to get Etem at the 700k amount and have him paraded around town in the rainbow happy fest to turn around and waive him a month or two later. Again, NHLPA and future FA 

I didn't realize you had a direct line to JB and knew what he is/was thinking. I guess we'll see if your line gets disconnected. 

3 minutes ago, Realtor Rod said:

I didn't realize you had a direct line to JB and knew what he is/was thinking. I guess we'll see if your line gets disconnected. 

Use your brain Rod. The writing is literally everywhere. I carefully stated my opinion, and you failed to compose an adequate response.

Etem reminds me of Raymond. Perimeter player a lot of the time, decent speed, doesn't make those around him better, streaky scorer and seems to turn the puck over often.  Wish he could put it together but at this point I must admit I don't hold out much hope.  Gaunce has earned a spot over Etem.  I was also pleasantly surprised by Labate.  I liked his edge and determination.  I hope he keeps improving he could turn out to be a player.  

We don't live in the hockey world. But it makes too much sense for JB to get Etem at the 700k amount and have him paraded around town in the rainbow happy fest to turn around and waive him a month or two later. Again, NHLPA and future FA hopefuls.

Are you saying Etem didn't want to be paraded in the gay thing! And he only supported the gay people because of his job?  I really think Etem is genuinely a nice guy, but he's just not an NHL player.

Archived