The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

b3.

From day one of Prospect Camp, for a live chat.

Hi everybody! Brendan here.

by Brendan Gaunce 10:30 AM

how is vancouver?

by hey 10:31 AM

I got here yesterday. It's my second time here and I really love that you can see the mountains from the city. That's really neat.

by Brendan Gaunce 10:31 AM

who is your favourite hockey player??

by jeffrey 10:32 AM

Growing up my favourite player was Brendan Shanahan. I liked him because he has the same name as me, then I realized he's actually a really good player.

by Brendan Gaunce 10:33 AM

Besides hockey, do you enjoy playing any other sport? If you enjoy soccer, im glad to tell you that the Canucks always play soccer before heading on the ice.

by ShauniBurrows14 10:33 AM

I play football, basketball, volleyball, track and field and soccer. I'd play football if I wasn't a hockey player.

by Brendan Gaunce 10:33 AM

So has anyone told you the secret to telling the Sedins apart?

by Jen 10:33 AM

I got some advice. Look at their numbers with a jersey on, otherwise I have no clue. I'll be in too much shock when I meet them to tell who is who.

by Brendan Gaunce 10:34 AM

Do you play any other video game besides Call of Duty?

by Canucksfan 10:34 AM

NHL12 on XBox. I like Fifa as well.

by Brendan Gaunce 10:34 AM

What's your favorite pre-game meal? :)

by Gloriaa 10:35 AM

Chicken, sweet potatoes and broccoli.

by Brendan Gaunce 10:36 AM

Who do you think are you closest with (or will be closest with) among the prospects with you today at camp?

by Paula C 10:36 AM

I know a few guys from playing against them, but I'm basically meeting everyone for the first time. It's like the first day of school.

cat or dog?

by canucklehead 10:36 AM

I have a dog named Rocky.

Besides the Sedins, who else are you most excited to meet on the Canucks and why?

by michelleeliao 10:37 AM

Probably Roberto Luongo because was a part of Team Canada.

by Brendan Gaunce 10:37 AM

What jersey number do you want, on the canucks?

by ShauniBurrows14 10:38 AM

I can't pick #16 and I can't pick #14 because of Burrows...so I don't know. Any suggestions??

by Brendan Gaunce 10:38 AM

How has the media treated you so far? Has it been a bit overwhelming?

by Dave929292 10:39 AM

I did a media availability right after being drafted and it was actually kind of fun.

by Brendan Gaunce 10:39 AM

What are you most excited to see or do in Vancouver?

by BeanDellaMattia 10:40 AM

I'm not too sure, definitely not that Grouse Grind thing. The Dragon Boating should be fun!

by Brendan Gaunce 10:40 AM

What are your goals for the upcoming season with Belleville?

by Dave 10:40 AM

We'd like to make it past the first round and go as far as we can.

by Brendan Gaunce 10:41 AM

As a first round pick do you feel like you have a lot of pressure on you to succeed

by CanadianCheddar 10:41 AM

Not yet. Everyone comes into here with the same goals and I don't feel any extra pressure just yet.

by Brendan Gaunce 10:42 AM

Being a 2 way center who do you try to model your game after?

by ScottW17 10:42 AM

Tough question. Someone like Ryan Kesler or Jordan Staal probably.

by Brendan Gaunce 10:43 AM

ur favourite move in the shootouts

by jeremy_cheung14 10:43 AM

Blocker, high-glove.

by Brendan Gaunce 10:43 AM

We've got 5 more minutes here guys! Keep those questions coming.

by Brendan Gaunce 10:44 AM

Who do you think will win today, Germany or Italy?

by maurice1210 10:44 AM

Germany. I've been following the whole tournament and it's been really good. I've been cheering for Germany since the beginning.

by Brendan Gaunce 10:44 AM

Kobe or Lebron?

by Bigpops 10:44 AM

Kobe. Definitely Kobe.

by Brendan Gaunce 10:45 AM

What's the most exciting part of being drafted?

by Donna Suico 10:45 AM

When Gary Bettman said "Welcome to the NHL." Dream come true.

by Brendan Gaunce 10:45 AM

What are doing this off-season besides training?

by Ryan 10:45 AM

I'll be golfing a lot and going to New Brunswick to visit family.

by Brendan Gaunce 10:46 AM

Three more questions...

Do you sing or play instruments?

by Jared 10:46 AM

No. I played the trumpet in high school, but only because I had to.

Do you have an iphone or blackberry?

by ShauniBurrows14 10:46 AM

Blackberry.

If you were dropped onto the Canucks roster right now who would you want to play with?

by ScottW17 10:47 AM

Great question. Daniel and Burrows.

by Brendan Gaunce 10:47 AM

Ok. That's all the time I've got. Time for my headshots and other tests.

by Brendan Gaunce 10:48 AM

Thanks everyone!

by Brendan Gaunce 10:48 AM

He also gave away a signed puck:

4f467c59-e2dc-4757-bdae-1b1b056a615d_500.jpg

• Upvote 1

aw shucks. Cody....

I wonder if Cody is kicking himself now that another one of his close buddies is in the Canucks' system and the Sabres drafting two centres (with Grigorenko being on the verge of signing) that could push Hodgson down the depth chart.

Lets hope the younger players are going to be good because they're who we'll be watching after the Sedins are gone. You do realize they'll stop playing hockey one day.

please i dont even want to think about it. the sedins are pure magic to watch on the ice.

Ran into a few conversion problems with youtube tonight and there are like flickers of large pixels! WTF, lol. But i am so fed up, i don't want to deal with it. Enjoy.

Great video.. the pixels actually kind of helped spotting him out lol.. He's got a mean release which makes up for his skating ability but it doesn't look as bad as some of the scout's suggested.

None the less he's a big kid and with a mean mug, if he can have a face like that on the ice all the time he will fit right in with Bieksa.. he will be a feared centre in years to come.. I just wish he was older so he can smack around the new look Wild and some of those Oiler kids..

Edited by Diabolic

Ran into a few conversion problems with youtube tonight and there are like flickers of large pixels! WTF, lol. But i am so fed up, i don't want to deal with it. Enjoy.

looks like he will give lou fits wherever he gets traded to. the kid seems to love to score from behind the goal line. That's lou's kryptonite donchaknow... :P Edited by avelanch

question is

who is was better at the age of 18

Brendan Gaunce vs Nicklas Jensen.

Jensen 29 goals 29 assists 58 points in 61 games

Gaunce 28 gooals 40 assists 68 points in 68 games.

Tie. Both were roughly ppg on teams not playing to their potential. Jensen has speed over Gaunce. Gaunce has shutdown capabilities over Jensen. Otherwise it's all pretty much even, size, shot (edge, Jensen, even though Gaunce has a great shot too), etc.

From the way he skates..he looks eerily a lot like Trevor Linden

awesome release though..liking the pick so far

Dude! Thanks so much for putting this together.

I'm really pumped about this kid now. What really gets me excited is that he looks like a sweet playmaker who can make some nice passes. Would love to see him flanked by Jensen and Kassian one day.

Dude! Thanks so much for putting this together.

I'm really pumped about this kid now. What really gets me excited is that he looks like a sweet playmaker who can make some nice passes. Would love to see him flanked by Jensen and Kassian one day.

Jensen - Gaunce - Kassian

Lined up against:

Hall - Hopkins - Yakupov

Men against boys.

Jensen - Gaunce - Kassian

Lined up against:

Hall - Hopkins - Yakupov

Men against boys.

I'd have to say so:

average height of 6' 2.3333" and average wieght of 208 lbs

vs.

average height of 6' 0" and average wieght of 186 lbs

though one has some more raw talent than the other.

Edited by avelanch

• 3 weeks later...

I heard somewhere that he wasn't invited to the summer camp for Canada's U-20 WJ team, can someone confirm?

nobody was, as there is no summer camp this year:

http://www.tsn.ca/world_jrs/story/?id=395693

instead they are having the 2012 Canada-Russia Challenge. Gaunce was not included in the Canada Russia challenge (full roster here) but "Prendergast will continue to monitor these players and other potential candidates during the first few months of the 2012-13 season and at the CHL Subway Super Series to determine who will be invited to Canada’s National Junior Team selection camp in December. " http://hockeycanada56.prismx.net/index.php/ci_id/195853/la_id/1/ss_id/190000/

nobody was, as there is no summer camp this year:

http://www.tsn.ca/wo...tory/?id=395693

instead they are having the 2012 Canada-Russia Challenge. Gaunce was not included in the Canada Russia challenge (full roster here) but "Prendergast will continue to monitor these players and other potential candidates during the first few months of the 2012-13 season and at the CHL Subway Super Series to determine who will be invited to Canada’s National Junior Team selection camp in December. "http://hockeycanada5...1/ss_id/190000/

Do you think him not being invited to this event in anyway affects his chances of being on the WJ team?

Do you think him not being invited to this event in anyway affects his chances of being on the WJ team?

I don't think so. there are a number of players in this event that will not be available for the WJC, and he was the top ranked NA forward in this last draft. he just needs to ensure he has a good start to his season.