The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

He's stated he feels equally comfortable there and actually produces more offense from that side. If we've got a sufficiently defensive/2way partner on the left capable of playing 1st pair with him, I wouldn't worry the least bit about it.

How many Norris level Dmen play their off side? I dont mind Dmen playing their off side on the Powerplay but 5 on 5 it makes a big difference.   

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

There's a chance that none of of prospects pan out in 3 years if that's the concern. We drafted Woo to be a top 4 dman. Tryamkin is playing top pair in the KHL (not saying that equates to top pairing here, but he can log the minutes). Myers is playing top 4. Like I said, if there is one available in the draft then go for it, but don't miss out on BPA over positional needs. Trading for a top RD in the league isn't going to be as easy said than done. We have players that we can work with that can hopefully allow us to balance out the minutes over the 3 pairings. It's a position we should always be looking to improve like any other position, but I don't see any real need to hinder the team (depleting assets/depth in other positions in a trade to fill this spot or eat up a ton of cap) when we have players in our system to look at first.

Yeah I have no problem drafting BPA and then trading for a Dman. As long as you understand legit right handed Top 4 Dmen dont come cheap. 

What are you willing to give up and what are their needs are the questions that need to be answered? I like Ristolainen, but they seem to want to make it work there. I imagine the typical price of 1st (or 2nd), a prospect like Madden or Hoglander or Woo, and a roster player of need for them to get them thinking. Even then it might not be enough for a top pairing RD.

I wonder if they would do 1st round in 2022 and Gaudette for Risto. Maybe throw in a 3rd round as well. 

2 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Yeah I have no problem drafting BPA and then trading for a Dman. As long as you understand legit right handed Top 4 Dmen dont come cheap. 

Which is why I said it's easier said than done to acquire. We have Woo and Tryamkin as potential top 4 RD. If a solid RD lands around where we are drafting, go for it. But if there's an impressive center, then I wouldn't avoid that. We may end up with too much center depth, but that's how you build the tradable quality assets to make the trades easier to accomplish.

2 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I wonder if they would do 1st round in 2022 and Gaudette for Risto. Maybe throw in a 3rd round as well. 

They aren't really in rebuild mode. That 1st is too far away. Gaudette might interest then, but not enough to give up a minute munching top pairing dman that puts up 40+ points a year.

16 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

How many Norris level Dmen play their off side? I dont mind Dmen playing their off side on the Powerplay but 5 on 5 it makes a big difference.   

Orr, Bourque, Housley...Stevens and Niedermayer sometimes played together on the top pairing, both being lefties. Pronger at times, Timmonen...IIIRC Trouba played LD a lot in WPG. Brodie had his best season on his off side.

10 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Orr, Bourque, Housley...Stevens and Niedermayer sometimes played together on the top pairing, both being lefties. Pronger at times, Timmonen...IIIRC Trouba played LD a lot in WPG. Brodie had his best season on his off side.

None of the Top D these days play their off side, the game is a lot more technical now. I could see if we had HOF studs like Stevens and Niedermayer it making sense but that is not the case. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

They aren't really in rebuild mode. That 1st is too far away. Gaudette might interest then, but not enough to give up a minute munching top pairing dman that puts up 40+ points a year.

Yeah who knows what buffalo is doing, their D looks solid but they only have 3 full time NHL forwards signed for next year. 

• Like 1

Just now, Bure_Pavel said:

Yeah who knows what buffalo is doing, their D looks solid but they only have 3 full time NHL forwards signed for next year. 

Gaud for Risto straight across is a very fair trade.  Like you say, the Sabres would love a young centre who can play.  Middlestadt looks like he might bustaroo. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I asked SabreFan1 before what they were looking for and he doesn't even seem to know either. But I can't imagine them going through a fire sale and losing a top pairing RD that eats a lot of minutes in a rebuild type trade. Gaudette doesn't hold that value at this point IMO and a 1st 3 drafts from now doesn't really do much IMO either (but can you imagine the crowd that hates trading 1sts and worry they will be lottery winning picks?)

3 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I asked SabreFan1 before what they were looking for and he doesn't even seem to know either. But I can't imagine them going through a fire sale and losing a top pairing RD that eats a lot of minutes in a rebuild type trade. Gaudette doesn't hold that value at this point IMO and a 1st 3 drafts from now doesn't really do much IMO either (but can you imagine the crowd that hates trading 1sts and worry they will be lottery winning picks?)

Gaud us definitely worth Risto, but JB wants his D to actually play D.  Risto is a perennial Green Jacket candidate.  

14 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

None of the Top D these days play their off side, the game is a lot more technical now. I could see if we had HOF studs like Stevens and Niedermayer it making sense but that is not the case. 

You asked for examples, I gave you examples. Even a couple current players. Now you want to move goal posts.... :rolleyes:

Hughes even gets frequently compared to one of the guys on that list! :lol:

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Gaud us definitely worth Risto, but JB wants his D to actually play D.  Risto is a perennial Green Jacket candidate.  

Gaud is currently in a sheltered 3C role. Risto plays nearly 30 minute nights. His green jackets are because he gets the toughest minutes against on a tire fire team. They have been better this year and his +/- has been fine. If we had Ristolainen, I would never trade him for Gaudette assuming you're talking straight up. And if we add on top of Gaudette, it would take a significant add IMO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Gaud is currently in a sheltered 3C role. Risto plays nearly 30 minute nights. His green jackets are because he gets the toughest minutes against on a tire fire team. They have been better this year and his +/- has been fine. If we had Ristolainen, I would never trade him for Gaudette assuming you're talking straight up. And if we add on top of Gaudette, it would take a significant add IMO.

I love Gaud, but it'll take a second, maybe a first on top of AG to get Risto

17 hours ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Hughes will prove himself a No2
Edler is a No3  -- Edler has always been a top pairing D and still is
Juolevi's ceiling is No1, but is very likely a No3  -- you have no idea about this at all; wait to see how it plays out
Tryamkin ceiling is a No3, but is likely a No5 
Woo's ceiling is No3, but is likely a No5
Myers is a No4
Tanev is a No5 --  this is absolutely ridiculous lol; Tanev is a top pairing defender; at worst he would be a #3
Stecher is a No5
Benn is a No6
Fantenberg is a No7

55 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Not sure which take is more idiotic, sorry for the harsh wording. Gaudette is not worth Jokiharju straight up let alone Risto. And the idea that Risto is some trash tier player in his own zone is patently false. Is he Tanev? No. Is he Pouliot? Also no. He has 54% dzone starts. His defensive point shares are actually higher than Edler's and Risto plays on a worse team. Risto would likely be the 3rd best defensive player on our blueline if we traded for him.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Used to want Risto too, until @SabreFan1 pointed out the guy’s defensive IQ was that of a turnip. 

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Used to want Risto too, until @SabreFan1 pointed out the guy’s defensive IQ was that of a turnip. 

I've talked to him as well and I never got that interpretation from him. Seems like an over-exaggeration and nothing this year seems to indicate that. Edler had some bad +/- years as well and bounced back when the team got better. Similar circumstances IMO.

4 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I've talked to him as well and I never got that interpretation from him. Seems like an over-exaggeration and nothing this year seems to indicate that. Edler had some bad +/- years as well and bounced back when the team got better. Similar circumstances IMO.

What’s Edler got to do with Risto?  We don’t want Risto.  He’s getting paid too much for what he brings.  I wouldn’t do Hockey Gaud because that’s the guy the Sabres will want.  They need Gaud because Middlestadt did the bustaroo. 

And actually the Sabres are one of my lesser hated teams, so I’m being nice to them.