The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

2 hours ago, Dungass said:

The reality is, Olli has had major back and knee surgeries the previous two years, and now, is apparently having hip problems.  This is all before playing a minute of NHL action.  I like him, I like the way he plays the game, but his lack of physicality has stood out ever since I started watching him last year in the A. 

As for the injury not being serious, unfortunately, management has little credibility on that score.

Definitely the game is much faster, the players are bigger, stronger and their shots harder in the NHL and is will be even harder not to be injured

• Upvote 1

On 1/4/2020 at 5:13 PM, Alflives said:

Sorry to say, but OJ is a bustaroo.  

Get outta here with the bustaroo stuff on our prospects...your fur is getting in a ball again and this time the table have turned and it is you not supporting our prospects...

Go cough up fur balls on some other teams prospects....

@....Woo is good but for now at least Bahl is better...

• Haha 1

On 1/5/2020 at 10:33 AM, Dungass said:

The reality is, Olli has had major back and knee surgeries the previous two years, and now, is apparently having hip problems.  This is all before playing a minute of NHL action.  I like him, I like the way he plays the game, but his lack of physicality has stood out ever since I started watching him last year in the A. 

As for the injury not being serious, unfortunately, management has little credibility on that score.

Sad but true.

On 1/4/2020 at 10:08 PM, CoolCanucklehead said:

Maybe it's just me but I feel we're a much better team with Myers...

LOTS of people said the same thing about Edler not too many years ago even after he proved himself 2011...

Our team seems much better this year with Myers to me. 

Game winner tonight to boot to further prove my point.  

:canucks::towel::canucks:

You watching ;)

54 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

how close is he to NHL ready?  be honest.  

From what I see, needs another month of simmering in the AHL.  When we get to expand the rosters, I would see him being a call-up, spotting the Benn/Fantenberg duo, but I don't know if Stecher would be the best fit. I think OJ likes to be the puck carrier of his pairing, so maybe Tanev is a better fit.

The problem I am seeing with OJ, though, is that he is getting outplayed by Rafferty, who is faster, better shot, more physical, and far less error prone.  He might have passed OJ on the depth chart now, and might be an earlier call up.

So it wouldn't surprise me if Ollie had another season in Utica.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Googlie said:

From what I see, needs another month of simmering in the AHL.  When we get to expand the rosters, I would see him being a call-up, spotting the Benn/Fantenberg duo, but I don't know if Stecher would be the best fit. I think OJ likes to be the puck carrier of his pairing, so maybe Tanev is a better fit.

The problem I am seeing with OJ, though, is that he is getting outplayed by Rafferty, who is faster, better shot, more physical, and far less error prone.  He might have passed OJ on the depth chart now, and might be an earlier call up.

Since when does the NHL expand its rosters?

15 minutes ago, Iggynucks said:

Since when does the NHL expand its rosters?

Quote from "The business of the game - Roster Limits":

The 23-man roster limit is in place from the conclusion of the preseason until 12:01 am on the day of the NHL’s Trade Deadline. After that teams are allowed to have an unlimited active roster at the NHL level, provided players are signed to one of their 50 contract slots. NHL teams are only allowed to dress a maximum of 20 players – 18 skaters and two goaltenders – for any given game, but those 20 must come from the 23-player active roster.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Googlie said:

Played well in today's 3-2 win over Belleville, with a nice assist on Goldy's first goal.   Good presence on the 2nd PP unit (with Beezer - Rafferty was on the 1st unit with Boucher) as well as on the PK.  Finished a +1

bernie mac praise GIF

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, Googlie said:

I agree.  I think Rafferty replaces Stecher in the lineup next year and OJ spends another year in Utica and is first call up next year.  With Edler and Hughes there is no room for him on the left side and I don’t think you play him on the 3rd pairing.  

• Cheers 1

53 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I agree.  I think Rafferty replaces Stecher in the lineup next year and OJ spends another year in Utica and is first call up next year.  With Edler and Hughes there is no room for him on the left side and I don’t think you play him on the 3rd pairing.  

I think you are right. Stecher is likely moved. I am happy if OJ can finish the year in Utica playing healthy. Utica will have Calder play which would be great experience. Would love Rafferty have some NHL games to have a look. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Googlie said:

Is his waiver protected next year?  If so then why not get him a strong as possible and start bringing him up next season.  We can always use a top 4 d man, even if he didn't arrive by some people's schedule.  

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Is his waiver protected next year?  If so then why not get him a strong as possible and start bringing him up next season.  We can always use a top 4 d man, even if he didn't arrive by some people's schedule.  

He should have one more year of his ELC so he shouldn't require waivers. With that said, if he earns a spot out of camp next year, then it doesn't matter as we have demonstrated time and again.

3 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

We can always use a top 4 d man, even if he didn't arrive by some people's schedule.  

Good point to remind people of PF. 

Every player develops at their own pace, whatever that happens to be. 

We don't need to look any further than Brogan Rafferty to see this. 

• Cheers 1