The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks considering moving back from 5th

Vancouver covets two players in this draft above anyone else likely to fall to them at fifth. At the top of that list is Pierre-Luc Dubois of the Cape Breton Screaming Eagles. Not far behind Dubois is Olli Juolevi of the London Knights.

The thinking, according to my source, is that if the Canucks can't secure the former of those two, they will do everything in their power to maximize their value with fifth overall and secure a selection later in the top ten of the draft. Though the Canucks think Juolevi is the best defenceman in this draft, it is believed that they regard Mikhail Sergachyov of the Windsor Spitfires in a similar light and are willing to draft him should they find themselves without access to the Finnish stud defenceman.

Not sure how that makes any sense.  They want Dubois and "not far behind", Juolevi.  Yet if Dubois is gone they'll trade down and maybe take Sergachyov?  One of either Dubois or Juolevi WILL be there -- why not just take one or the other?  What if they trade down to 7th or 8th, and both Juolevi and Sergachyov are both gone?

Unless there's a big premium to move, it doesn't sound like a smart ploy unless they truly see little difference between the players.

Well, Benning never said which 6 players he was hoping to get.

Matthews, Laine, Puljujarvi, Dubois.........Brown or Sergachev?

This would be surprising, considering he was most impressed with Tkachuk's interview at the combine.

Just more outsiders trying to stir up some controversy.  

1 minute ago, Hutton Wink said:

Not sure how that makes any sense.  They want Dubois and "not far behind", Juolevi.  Yet if Dubois is gone they'll trade down and maybe take Sergachyov?  One of either Dubois or Juolevi WILL be there -- why not just take one or the other?  What if they trade down to 7th or 8th, and both Juolevi and Sergachyov are both gone?

Unless there's a big premium to move, it doesn't sound like a smart ploy unless they truly see little difference between the players.

Ya it's a pretty soft article, I even mentioned that. 

In theory, I like the play. If Dubois is the Canucks guy, and he's not there - then move back, acquire extra assets and snag the next best guy you wanted. 

4 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

well, if they trade down, it would have to be somewhere between 6-10 where they are fairly certain that juolevi,sergachev and brown aren't all gone by their turn.

9 minutes ago, ItsMillerTime said:

Nah Jim Benning said he would most likely keep the pick even if Dubois is gone. He has his eye on 3 players. So that tweet is false.

tweet is real, we don't really know what the Canucks intend on doing other than the common thought that the team wants Dubois.

7 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Then they take Jost, Chycrun etc.

They may feel there's little drop from Juolevi, to Chychrun, Jost, Serg etc (I tend to agree) and if they can pick up additional assets...

As you noted, the key is 'the premium'.

Just now, Ossi Vaananen said:

Ya it's a pretty soft article, I even mentioned that. 

In theory, I like the play. If Dubois is the Canucks guy, and he's not there - then move back, acquire extra assets and snag the next best guy you wanted. 

Certainly if they view Dubois as their main guy and Juolevi, Sergachyov, and Tkachuk as roughly equal then by all means -- if no Dubois then trade down to 8th and take the asset for it and grab whomever's left.  But JB hasn't really worked that way.  He seems to get in mind who he wants and goes after him, paying what's necessary to do so.

Would prefer one of PLD or Tkachuck but if he's sold on one of the D and PLD is gone then yeah, go for it.  Sergachyov is very intriguing and if that's who he feels is best then i have no problem with it at all.

1 minute ago, timberz21 said:

If we trade down, it would have to be a massive overpayment, like 7th and 20th from Arizona.  Still lots of good option at 7th, I think. Plus possibility of Benning finding another gem at 20th.  Doubt Arizona does it though

If Dubois is gone that almost certainly mean Tkachuck is still there and ARZ is rumoured to be VERY interested... They may just be willing to pay up.

Maybe Benning will kill three birds with one stone.

Trade down to a team who will give us back their 1st pick, plus a 2nd pick and a player - Instead of trying to sign an expensive UFA.

eg.

To MTL

5th (Dubois)

To VAN

9th (Brown)

2nd round pick

Eller

1 minute ago, J.R. said:

If Dubois is gone that almost certainly mean Tkachuck is still there and ARZ is rumoured to be VERY interested... They may just be willing to pay up.

Are you thinking 7th and 20th? or is there a player back?

4 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

If we trade down, it would have to be a massive overpayment, like 7th and 20th from Arizona.  Still lots of good option at 7th, I think. Plus possibility of Benning finding another gem at 20th.  Doubt Arizona does it though

Tkachuk is from AZ, maybe he could be a way of bring more fans in for them??

Lemme channel my inner elvis.

ip0Auz9.png

This is kind of redundant as there's already been unending speculation about this over the last month.  Of course if he can maximize value he'll move down if his perceived BPA is gone.

3 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Maybe Benning will kill three birds with one stone.

Trade down to a team who will give us back their 1st pick, plus a 2nd pick and a player - Instead of trying to sign an expensive UFA.

eg.

To MTL

5th (Dubois)

To VAN

9th (Brown)

2nd round pick

Eller

if he did that and drafted Charlie Brown instead of Jost for center position he should be slapped and fired on the spot

Archived