The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brett McKenzie | C

-Vintage Canuck-

On 1/23/2017 at 2:13 AM, canuckledraggin said:

For our prospect pool that had so many holes in it, taking these draft re-entry players was a smart move. They can step into professional hockey sooner and begin their development with players from previous draft classes. Next year there are going to be a bunch of players from the 2015 and 16 drafts who will be turning 20 and turning pro together. The biggest (pun intended) find was Nikita Tryamkin in 2014, who was 20 and on his 3rd and final run through the draft. It's hard not to like what Benning is doing in terms of building through the draft.

That does assume they're ever ready for pro hockey, at least at an effective level when considering the AHL. If they work out, you're absolutely right their development time could be slightly shortened - but there's still the possibility they need a bit more time to mature as players as well.

On 1/23/2017 at 2:13 AM, canuckledraggin said:

For our prospect pool that had so many holes in it, taking these draft re-entry players was a smart move. They can step into professional hockey sooner and begin their development with players from previous draft classes. Next year there are going to be a bunch of players from the 2015 and 16 drafts who will be turning 20 and turning pro together. The biggest (pun intended) find was Nikita Tryamkin in 2014, who was 20 and on his 3rd and final run through the draft. It's hard not to like what Benning is doing in terms of building through the draft.

Selecting draft re-entry players has been one of the measures that Benning has taken.  He has also been scouting and signing college free agents (Stecher) and trading for high draft picks who have under performed for one reason or another on other teams (Baertschi, Granlund, Vey, Etem).  Many of these players are under sized but not all obviously (Tryamkin).  It is safe to say that these selections have been long shots but some of them have been successful.

19 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Selecting draft re-entry players has been one of the measures that Benning has taken.  He has also been scouting and signing college free agents (Stecher) and trading for high draft picks who have under performed for one reason or another on other teams (Baertschi, Granlund, Vey, Etem).  Many of these players are under sized but not all obviously (Tryamkin).  It is safe to say that these selections have been long shots but some of them have been successful.

I agree, considering what prospects Benning had when he came in he has revitalized our team. A future number one goalie and probably a full Dcorp already. Thats pretty good work.

Joulevi-Tryamkin

Hutton-Guddy

Brisebois-Subban

Olson-Pedan....

Demko

Garteig

32 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

I agree, considering what prospects Benning had when he came in he has revitalized our team. A future number one goalie and probably a full Dcorp already. Thats pretty good work.

Joulevi-Tryamkin

Hutton-Guddy

Brisebois-Subban

Olson-Pedan....

Demko

Garteig

Stecher>>Subban

On 25/01/2017 at 0:10 AM, RetroCanuck said:

Haha there you go, I forgot about 1 lol Although I do think that if Subban can become good defensively he will be better then Stetcher overall allowing us to trade Stetcher.

if. brendan gaunce could start playing like mario lemieux we could probably trade horvat. 

1 hour ago, tas said:

if. brendan gaunce could start playing like mario lemieux we could probably trade horvat. 

Subban is more talented offensively. He's also younger and still has time to improve his defensive side.  

It's not a terrible stretch to think he could end up being the better player in 3'ish years. 

On 1/24/2017 at 11:10 PM, RetroCanuck said:

Haha there you go, I forgot about 1 lol Although I do think that if Subban can become good defensively he will be better then Stetcher overall allowing us to trade Stetcher.

Both are moving targets.  Stecher will get better too, although he is 2 years older.  Stecher is already good defensively.

It's not as if they're going to discard Subban.  In 2 years, we may be having a different conversation

10 hours ago, J.R. said:

Subban is more talented offensively. He's also younger and still has time to improve his defensive side.  

It's not a terrible stretch to think he could end up being the better player in 3'ish years. 

That is a bit of a stretch J.R. as he hasn't had a chance to show he can reproduce that level of talent in the NHL. Stecher has already proved it.

I'm not saying he won't, I'm just saying the NHL is a much harder environment to shine.

2 hours ago, alfstonker said:

That is a bit of a stretch J.R. as he hasn't had a chance to show he can reproduce that level of talent in the NHL. Stecher has already proved it.

I'm not saying he won't, I'm just saying the NHL is a much harder environment to shine.

It really isn't actually. 

On 1/27/2017 at 9:42 PM, Crabcakes said:

Both are moving targets.  Stecher will get better too, although he is 2 years older.  Stecher is already good defensively.

It's not as if they're going to discard Subban.  In 2 years, we may be having a different conversation

Stecher is only one year older than Subban. there is really no comparison between the two. Stecher is and always will be a better NHL player than Subban is an AHL player.

Archived