The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2016-2017 Opening Night Roster

Patrick Kane

On 7/3/2016 at 7:32 PM, Patrick Kane said:

jNtdGxZ.png

Thoughts? (Line combos, who will make the team, who will be gone, etc.)

Will update after any trades, signings, training camp surprised, etc...

Please pin @StealthNuck

Honestly I would do Sedin Sedin Hansen (because Hansen grinds for the Sedins and proved to work well with them last year).

Second Line - Baertschi Horvat Eriksson (Horvat and Baer showed great chemistry last year, no reason not to try to keep it going and a sniper like Eriksson will draw attention to players probably freeing up more space for his line mates and making less pressure for them. 

Third Line - Virtanen Sutter Rodin (really can't go wrong with sutter as your third line centre, also Virtanen showed a lot of promise at the end of the season definitely making me think he will be a really solid 3rd liner and future top 6

Fourth Line - Burrows Granlund Dorsett -  Should be a good grinding line, hopefully Burrows has a bit of a bounce back year or can play as an effective fourth line grinder. 

Miller starts at starter, but Marky should get plenty of starts and hopefully plays really well so we can end up trading Miller.  Markstrom is definitely the future, nothing against Miller but Marky I think is the man for us in the pipes.  

All in all are we a stanley cup team, pending a miracle definitely not.  Are we now a playoff team, I would yes and we should be back in the playoffs with low expectations, but hey it's better than not being there.  

On 7/4/2016 at 8:05 PM, Jiggs50 said:

Hoping for...

Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson
Baertschi-Sutter-Kane
Virtanen-Horvat-Hansen
Etem-Granlund-Dorsett

Edler-Tanev
Hutton-Gudbranson
Tryamkin-Larsen

The hell with Kane the guy is a disaster and just seems to bring bad publicity to any team he is on.  Why would we want his piss poor attitude in the locker room and bad influence around the younger players.  He is a great player, but in the end its more than just skill its how you represent the team and city, based on his past or career thus far, he is probably not worth it.  Wouldn't want to be stuck with someone with a such a big contract if he's going to end up being a bad thing or bring a bad attitude to the team.  Just my opinion :) 

On 7/4/2016 at 8:05 PM, Jiggs50 said:

Hoping for...

Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson
Baertschi-Sutter-Kane
Virtanen-Horvat-Hansen
Etem-Granlund-Dorsett

Edler-Tanev
Hutton-Gudbranson
Tryamkin-Larsen

if that is our defensive pairings than the Canucks need to find a way to get something for Sbisa or at least trade him for some sort of pick, because they are paying him a descent amount to be scratched.  However I do believe Bennig signed him last year to a 3 year deal?.   So i'm not sure if they would have intentions of wanting to scratch him based on that.  Guess we will see, Larsen may not be fully ready yet tho, I'm thinking we may see Sbisa.  

On 7/7/2016 at 9:42 PM, vinnymack said:

if that is our defensive pairings than the Canucks need to find a way to get something for Sbisa or at least trade him for some sort of pick, because they are paying him a descent amount to be scratched.  However I do believe Bennig signed him last year to a 3 year deal?.   So i'm not sure if they would have intentions of wanting to scratch him based on that.  Guess we will see, Larsen may not be fully ready yet tho, I'm thinking we may see Sbisa.  

Is Larsen isn't ready this year, then I don't think he ever will be.

15 minutes ago, Patrick Kane said:

it's true. Larsen isn't young anymore. he's like what. 26. what you see is what you get at that point of a hockey players development and expectations. 

On 8.7.2016 at 6:42 AM, vinnymack said:

Too many D's? Really? We may need them all. Remember last years disaster. But if one is traded I still woud trade Edler for a 3LW and go with this:

Sedin-Sedin-Erikson

Baertschî-Sutter-Roedin

Trade-Hutton-Hansen

Etem-Granlund-Burrows

Gaunce Dorsett

Hutton-Tanev

Tryamkin-Gudbranson

Sbisa-Larsen

Pedan

M&M

Don't think Canucks are done yet. The rumours of trying to open up more cap for a top 6 forward are coming from too many sources for it to be total crap.

Add in that without ANY surprises like Hutton, Virtanen, & McCann again in training camp/preseason the Canucks are at like 25 guys who project to be on the roster in some capacity and there's only 23 spots.

If they do nothing, then guys like Pedan are gonna get put on waivers.

If so, lineup currently looks something like:

Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson

Baertschi-Sutter-Hansen

Rodin-Horvat-Virtanen

Burrows-Granlund-Dorsett

Etem

Megna

Edler-Tanev

Sbisa-Gudbranson

Hutton-Larsen

Tryamkin

Waived: Grenier, Zalewski, Pedan, Biega

I don't agree with this lineup but given what we've heard outta Willie D and the fact guys like Sbisa, Burrows, & Dorsett are still here, it's probably close to what we can expect.

My ideal lineup:

Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson

Baertschi-Sutter-New Guy

Etem-Horvat-Hansen

Rodin-Granlund-Virtanen

Megna

Burrows

Edler-Tanev

Hutton-Gudbranson 

Tryamkin-Larsen

Pedan

If Willie D wants to run a 4 line system, I think that lineup provides a pretty balanced offense and defense that doesn't really have any major holes.

We know what to expect outta the twins and Loui.

Baertschi & Sutter with a big strong winger should provide a decent secondary scoring line while still being able to match up defensively.

Etem-Horvat-Hansen would basically be the new Raymond-Malhotra-Hansen line from 2011 and would provide more scoring and a boatload of speed while being downright difficult to play against.

Then a possession guy like Virtanen paired up with Granlund and Rodin in a 4th line would provide speed, offense, physicality, and a reasonable amount of offense for a 4th line while still being good defensively.

I don't mind Willie's preference to run 4 lines, I just hope he actually starts balancing those lines so it makes sense to play that way.

On 2016-07-03 at 6:03 PM, elvis15 said:

Pedan and Biega on waivers? It's one thing to risk losing one of them, but another to risk two.

Yeah the Canucks have let some good ones get away over the years. Edler though is stuck on the team right.

22 hours ago, Patrick Kane said:

Indeed, he's coming in like Rodin, with their second shot at the NHL.  Both have excelled internationally and have reportedly gotten stronger and refined their game.  If they can't do it now they likely never will.

11 hours ago, Boddy604 said:

Don't think Canucks are done yet. The rumours of trying to open up more cap for a top 6 forward are coming from too many sources for it to be total crap.

I like your thinking.  It's not productive to quibble but I must anyways.  This is CDC after all :P

I'm agreeing with Hutton Wink above wrt Rodin and Larsen.  We haven't seen them play but they have done well in Europe.  So do they make the team?  We'll have to wait and see. 

In short, I think there is no New Guy which will move Hansen up, Etem is probably in, Megna is out (he will be some nice depth but start in Utica).  I think that your expected line up for the forwards is close to what we get and your defense from your ideal line up is close as well.  So we end up with

Sedin Sedin Eriksson

Baertschi Sutter Hansen

Etem Horvat Virtanen

Gaunce Granlund Dorsett

Burrows Rodin?

Edler Tanev

Hutton Gudbranson

Tryamkin Larsen

Sbisa Biega

Miller Markstrom.........I know, 24

And the good news is that I think that all of Pedan, Grienier, Zalewski, Megna, and Biega if it comes to that, clear waivers.

I am excited about the coming year's. I am hoping for the best but this next season is not the one I am excited for. 17/18, 18/19 seasons are the one's I'm interested in. This upcoming season, I can see us making the playoffs but with injuries, or down years I can see us in the bottom again. To me both are OK by me. Our young players could use a round on playoff hockey to show them what it is like in "the Real Season". However if they are in the bottom and get another top 5 pick that will improve the depth of young prospects and get us another piece of the future core.

I can see us getting another scoring winger this season but it may cost us a d-man or two and I'm thinking Hansen gets moved. I am not going to predict who they will draft, sign or trade for but they will move some more players, that is for sure. We are also going to lose someone to the expansion draft as well. So this is the line up I can see in the near future seasons without making wild trades or signings,

2016/17

Sedin, Sedin, Erickson

Baertschi, Sutter, Hansen 

Etem, Horvat, Virtanen 

Dorsett, Granlund, Gaunce

Borrows, Rodin

Hutton, Edler

Tanev, Gudbranson

Sbisa, Tryamkin

Pedan(Larson)

Miller

Markstrom

2017/18

Sedin, Sedin, Erickson

Boeser, Horvat, (Eberle, Landeskog, Oshie type, UFA or trade)

Baertschi, Sutter Virtanen 

Gaudette, Granlund, Gaunce 

Cassels

Hutton, Gudbranson

Joulevi, Edler

Stecher, Tryamkin

Pedan

Markstrom

Demko

2018/19

Boeser, Horvat, (Eberle, Landeskog, Oshie type, UFA or trade)

Sedin, Sedin, Erickson

Baertschi, Sutter, Virtanen

Gaudette, Granlund, Gaunce

Cassels

Hutton, Joulevi

Gudbranson, Stecher

Pedan, Tryamkin

Olsen(Brisebois)

Markstrom

Demko

I believe we will continue to slowly add 1-3 young players to the team for the next 3-4 seasons. Because no matter what people think, you cannot have a successful team in the playoffs without some vets to steer the ship and some youth who just don't know any better. Hopefully these young players can make the jump or progression to top tier talent, if not we will be getting better picks in the draft. 

So I think this team will be a fringe team for the next couple years anyways, However there looks to be light at the end of the tunnel.....though it might be a train.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2016-07-11 at 11:12 AM, Inge34 said:

2016/17

Sedin, Sedin, Erickson

Baertschi, Sutter, Rodin

Etem, Horvat, Burrows

Grenier

Tryamkin , Tanev

Hutton , Gudbranson

Sbisa, Larson

Pedan/Biega

Miller

Markstrom

HANSEN AND EDLER TRADED FOR 2017 PICKS ( 2 firsts 2 seconds 1 third and a fifth)

This is very close IMO

Boys I think we are in for some major competition this training camp! Book it!!

This team will go with some badly needed mentorship. 

D.Sedin    H.Sedin  Eriksson

Baertschi Sutter      Dorsett 

Sbisa      Granlund  Linden

P. Sedin   D.Gagner S.Sedin

Hutton Benning

Burr    Guddy

Tramp Tanev

Clouts

Markstrom

On July 3, 2016 at 4:32 PM, Patrick Kane said:

jNtdGxZ.png

Thoughts? (Line combos, who will make the team, who will be gone, etc.)

Will update after any trades, signings, training camp surprised, etc...

Please pin @StealthNuck

Boys I think we are in for some major competition this training camp! Book it!!

This team will go with some badly needed mentorship. 

D.Sedin    H.Sedin  Eriksson

Baertschi Sutter      Dorsett 

Sbisa      Granlund  Linden

P. Sedin   D.Gagner S.Sedin

Hutton Benning

Burr    Guddy

Tramp Tanev

Clouts

Markstrom

On 2016-07-03 at 5:50 PM, Derp... said:

Sedin, Sedin, Erickson

Baertschi, Sutter, Rodin

Etem, Horvat, Burrows

Grenier

Tryamkin , Tanev

Hutton , Gudbranson

Sbisa, Larson

Pedan/Biega

Miller

Markstrom

HANSEN AND EDLER TRADED FOR 2017 PICKS ( 2 firsts 2 seconds 1 third and a fifth)

Is that second line a little soft on the wings

Or can it work like the P. Kane line with the Hawks

Archived