The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2016-2017 Opening Night Roster

Patrick Kane

Benning said he still wants to get a scoring winger, so this is what I'll go with:

Sedin - Sedin - Eriksson

Kane/Landeskog - Horvat - Rödin

Baertschi - Sutter - Hansen

Burrows - Granlund - Etem

Gaunce/Dorsett

Edler - Tanev

Hutton - Gudbranson

Tryamkin - Larsen

Pedan/Biega

Miller

Markstrom

Sbisa, Gaunce,+ packaged for aforementioned winger. 

6 hours ago, Derp... said:

Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson

Baertschi-Sutter-Rodin

Etem-Horvat-Hansen

Granlund-Gaunce-Burrows

Dorsett/Grenier/Virtanen (whoever earns it)

Edler-Tanev

Hutton-Gudbranson

Tryamkin-Larsen

Sbisa, Pedan

Millsy

Marky

I like this. I hope Rodin is the real deal!

2 hours ago, Glory_Days said:

Like I said, he has potential, but he only had one goal. I believe he can be effective on the PP, just not sure if he can QB one.

Depends on how his shot develops, accurate? hard? gets it through traffic? all important traits to have for manning the point on the PP.

I personally would be a lot more comfortable giving Hutton that opportunity, first and foremost. He had 102 shots on net last year. That's a ridiculously low shooting percentage and I am convinced that it will improve next year.

Hutton proved to me he can play well at the NHL level last year. Larsen is a completely unproven commodity at this point. I see WD giving Hutton a long leash with the PP before attempting Larsen. 

Larsen, Tryamkin and Sbisa rotating in and out of the lineup as the 5/6/7 D I would be comfortable with until they all find their groove. 

1 hour ago, GiveEmTheCan said:

Sedin - Sedin - Eriksson

Burrows - Sutter - Hansen

Baertschi - Horvat - Virtanen

Etem - Granlund - Dorsett

Rodin/Gaunce

Tanev - Edler

Hutton - Gudbranson

Sbisa - Tryamkin

Markstrom

Miller

Not half bad. I'd like to see what kind of game Burrows brings to the table with a full summer of training under him. 

Sutter, Hansen, and Burrows all play a similar Grindy game and can all put the puck in the net. This line won't be pretty to watch, but I think they'll be effective.

Virtanen played his best hockey with Horvat, and Baertschi and Bo have developed some chemistry. This line could be fun as a 2b kid line.

the fourth line is a joke. Just sweep all of Benning's blunders into one place, give them 5-7 minutes a night and hope they don't get scored on. Maybe Gaunce and Rodin will be good enough so the team can waive Etem and trade Granlund for a 5th.

Some good methods to this madness. Interesting mix..but Larse for Sbis.

11 hours ago, Bigturk8 said:

I'm all for Bo starting on the 3rd line. He had a rough go last season when he was thrown into the 2nd line center against some of the toughest competition in the league. He started to adapt in the last 2 months or so, but I would like to see him sheltered for at least 1 more season. Now that he has the experience, let him run amok against lesser competition and wean him into the greater responsibility as he develops and gains more confidence.

I recognize that I'm not an expert. It's just my personal opinion that we will end up with a better player in the long run with a gradual development. I'd like him to follow a Kesler type curve but only slightly more accelerated since I believe he is a bit better of a player than Kesler was at the same age.

Except that Bo will likely shelter Sutter. Bo will get the harder defensive minutes

8 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

what was our 2015 opening night roster?

Sedin Sedin Sutter

Baertschi Horvat Vrbata

Burrows McCann Hansen

Prust Cracknell Dorsett

Edler Tanev

Hamhuis Bartkowski

Hutton Sbisa

Miller

20 minutes ago, mll said:

Sedin Sedin Sutter

Baertschi Horvat Vrbata

Burrows McCann Hansen

Prust Cracknell Dorsett

Edler Tanev

Hamhuis Bartkowski

Hutton Sbisa

Miller

Except for Edler/Tanev and Miller every line has improved this year in my opinion 

16 hours ago, Googlie said:

in his interview he said he was going to do everything he could to crack the lineup

8-12 lbs of muscle over a few months, maybe. I expect Larsen will bridge this season, but it could happen. I doubt it.

16 hours ago, TimberWolf said:

Bo will start the season on the third line with Etem

Makes no sense but Sutter is higher on the depth chart. 

Could that not help Bo develop (offense) if he is facing weaker match-ups. Wasn`t he -30 in the nr. 2 role? Sutter has experience. Let him do what he was brought in for and let Bo flourish even more offensively and rebuild some confidence in his 200 foot game. 

Its amazing how many people have Rodin slotted in as a top 6 forward after a good 33 games in sweden, guys only 180 pounds and plays a perimeter game, his stats on the small ice are brutal 111gp 41 points and a -16 in the AHL. Where as at the same age Grandlund had 85gp and 72 p in the AHL and most of you say Grandlunds a career 4th liner. I hope Rodin can come in and snipe but I wouldnt get your hopes up, he doesnt play well on the small ice. Hes also only played over 50 games once in the last 4 years, and at 180 Pounds i dont know ifhe can handle the grind of an NHL sched.

19 minutes ago, Jtutino said:

Its amazing how many people have Rodin slotted in as a top 6 forward after a good 33 games in sweden, guys only 180 pounds and plays a perimeter game, his stats on the small ice are brutal 111gp 41 points and a -16 in the AHL. Where as at the same age Grandlund had 85gp and 72 p in the AHL and most of you say Grandlunds a career 4th liner. I hope Rodin can come in and snipe but I wouldnt get your hopes up, he doesnt play well on the small ice. Hes also only played over 50 games once in the last 4 years, and at 180 Pounds i dont know ifhe can handle the grind of an NHL sched.

Doozy of a first post. What's even more amazing is you waited 4 years after joining to make it. I don't have any problems with that though, more that you're relying to heavily on stats to predict his career and not looking enough at play style.

Rodin is not the same player as Granlund. Granlund does have skill but succeeds more by being a hard worker and being involved in plays. That translates better into a bottom 6 role as needed. Rodin is based on skill, and finding areas to use it. I don't remember his game being strictly perimeter when he was in the AHL but he certainly has a lot of highlights since with him scoring in and around the goal area so that's a positive. Using him on the 4th line in anything other than a temporary or call up situation is not a path to success.

Top 6 doesn't really fit our team though, so I'll say we essentially have two 2nd lines. For that reason I'd be ready to put Rodin on either of Sutter or Horvat's lines depending on fit. It's possible he could fit with Granlund and someone like Burrows in a specialized role for the 4th as well, but they'd have to have more offensive zone starts than a defensive line would typically get (although a 4th line is often sheltered a bit). On either of those 2nd lines though, he'd have more opportunity to provide secondary scoring and probably 2nd unit PP time. He'd also have better quality linemates that he can help offensively and also be on the receiving end of chances.

Now, while he did battle some injuries previously in the AHL, you can't really blame this last one on him, so I'll be more reserved in calling him injury prone. He certainly will have to adjust to the smaller North American ice again though, and be able to be productive still with less space.

16 hours ago, MNA said:

1st line :  D.Sedin - H. Sedin - Eriksson

2nd line:  Burrows - Sutter - Rodin

3rd line:  Baertschi - Horvat - Virtanen/Hansen  --- Hansen will play in Virtanen's place if he is sent                                                                                                             to the AHL. 

4th line:  Etem - Granlund - Dorsett                        Otherwise he takes Rodin's, Etem's or Dorsett's                                                                                                     spot.

Scratches:     Gaunce

Call-ups:  (Virtanen,) Grenier, Cassels, Megna, Chaput, Rendulic

1st D:  Edler - Tanev

2nd D: Sbisa/Hutton - Gudbranson   --- The only reason Sbisa and Hutton can be swapped is for                                                                                 Sbisa's contract.

3rd D:  Sbisa/Hutton - Tryamkin          Don't want to make the contract look stupid. If Sbisa can                                                                                  step up his game, great. 

Gudbranson and Sbisa would be throwing the body almost                                                                               every shift. It would be a 

scary D-pairing, but Hutton has also solidified his role, so                                                                            Sbisa and Hutton would be competing.

Scratches: Pedan, Biega --- One of them will have to clear waivers. I wouldn't like to see either of                                   them claimed, but they'll likely be competing for 7th defenseman, so one will                                                   (unfortunately) have to be sent down.

(On the bright side, for Biega if he's sent down, he will probably be                                                  captain again for Utica)

(On the bright side for Pedan, he'll get more experience and ice-time)

Call-ups: (Pedan, Biega,) Billins, Subban, Sautner

Goaltenders: Miller

Markstrom

Call-ups: Bachman, Demko(if necesary), Garteig(if it's REAAALLY BAD)

It'll be interesting to see if any other depth FAs wil be signed. I was hoping Benning would sign Adam Cracknell again, but Dallas signed him today. <_<

Burrows on the 2nd line and Hansen on the 3rd or 4th? Don't know about that one.

Burrow's days as a top 6 winger are over, Hansen just had a career year. 

I like the rest of you lineup though. 

35 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

Doozy of a first post. What's even more amazing is you waited 4 years after joining to make it. I don't have any problems with that though, more that you're relying to heavily on stats to predict his career and not looking enough at play style.

Rodin is not the same player as Granlund. Granlund does have skill but succeeds more by being a hard worker and being involved in plays. That translates better into a bottom 6 role as needed. Rodin is based on skill, and finding areas to use it. I don't remember his game being strictly perimeter when he was in the AHL but he certainly has a lot of highlights since with him scoring in and around the goal area so that's a positive. Using him on the 4th line in anything other than a temporary or call up situation is not a path to success.

Top 6 doesn't really fit our team though, so I'll say we essentially have two 2nd lines. For that reason I'd be ready to put Rodin on either of Sutter or Horvat's lines depending on fit. It's possible he could fit with Granlund and someone like Burrows in a specialized role for the 4th as well, but they'd have to have more offensive zone starts than a defensive line would typically get (although a 4th line is often sheltered a bit). On either of those 2nd lines though, he'd have more opportunity to provide secondary scoring and probably 2nd unit PP time. He'd also have better quality linemates that he can help offensively and also be on the receiving end of chances.

Now, while he did battle some injuries previously in the AHL, you can't really blame this last one on him, so I'll be more reserved in calling him injury prone. He certainly will have to adjust to the smaller North American ice again though, and be able to be productive still with less space.

What # of post I have and when I signed up has nothing to do with Rodin being able to fill a top 6 role in the NHL, and i dont care if you have a problem with that or not, as you said rodins game is based on skill and finding areas to use it, which he wasnt able to find those areas in the AHL with only 41 points in 111games. So now you think he can do it at the NHL level? Im sure those highlight vids you watch on youtube were cool but thats Sweden with more ice to manuever and not close to the calibre of defenceman youll find in the NHL. I cant wait to watch him go to the hard areas of ice against guys like Burns, Doughty, Bieksa, Vlasic and so on. How many trips to the corner or the front of the net with those guys at 180 pounds do you think hes going to be able to take before he breaks? Or gets gun shy?

Probably the same amount as we see guys like Baertschi (10lbs heavier), Burrows (8lbs heavier), Eriksson (3lbs heavier), or Granlund (2lbs lighter) do. Hell, Sutter's only 190lbs and the Sedins are about the same weight as Burrows based on their weights on the roster page. You're again putting far too much stock in one number which relatively means very little.

Sure, he'd have a lot easier time standing in front of the net if he was Virtanen's size, but it's certainly not his role to stand there and take that kind of punishment. His style of play is to find holes in the defence and exploit them rather than take on players head on. He'll have to stand up to going into the corners of course, and how well he handles the increased physical play matters, but you're writing him off based on his play from 3 seasons ago and some stats without backing it up using anything more useful (or more recent) than what I can tell by having watched some of his more recent play through YouTube.

He's grown as a player, and while he certainly still has question marks about how that translates to the NHL, you should be more open minded to the possibility of him being a successful offensive-minded player in our top 9.

1 hour ago, elvis15 said:

Excited to watch this kid.

15 hours ago, hatedkid666 said:

Sedins-Eriksson

Baerstchi-Sutter-Hansen

Burrows-Horvat-Rodin

Etem-Granlund-Dorsett

Gaunce

Edler-Tanev

Hutton-Gudbranson 

Tyramkin-Sbisa

Larsen

Pedan 

Switch Burrows with Etem, Hansen with Rodin, Dorsett with Gaunce and Sbisa with Larsen and that will be a pretty solid opening line-up barring any other trades or surprise rookies. 

Burrows can't keep up with Horvat and is more suited to the 4th line. Etem can keep up with Horvat and has shown some chemistry with him especially at the tail end of the season. A 3rd line of Etem, Horvat and Hansen with the speed they have will be giving teams fits to defend against. 

I want Sbisa to stay here, but we have a log jam at D, so we may as well try to get something to fill an offensive hole we have. 

Dorsett works his butt off, but seems to never have anything to show for it and we have better options for cheaper. I'd rather trade him, but if we can't I'd prefer a Burrows-Granlund-Gaunce (with Granlund and Gaunce being interchangeable) line and bringing Dorsett for the big teams and taking Granlund out. Gaunce deserves a chance in the NHL, so I'd like to see him as a regular. 

Also to those thinking it Baertschi and Horvat won't be on the same line due to Willie's comments about Baertschi taking away Horvat's game.

Daniel-Henrik-Eriksson

Baertschi-Sutter-Rodin

Etem-Horvat-Hansen

Burrows-Granlund-Gaunce

Dorsett

Edler-Tanev

Hutton-Gudbranson

Tryamkin-Larsen

Pedan/Biega

Miller

Markstrom

Looking forward to the next season with this roster.

Archived