The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2016-2017 Opening Night Roster

Patrick Kane

1 hour ago, DonaldBrashear said:

Pointless trying to decide the rosters because Jim Benning isn't done yet. He is going to make a trade for a top 6 winger and we will consequently probably lose assets in the process. It's obvious he is planning to trade a d-man for a forward.

And LOL @ everyone putting Horvat in 2nd line C. People are funny

In all honesty, the 2nd and 3rd lines are interchangeable.

Horvat will play 17 or 18 mins a night and Sutter will play 18 or 19. Horvat probably gets more time on the powerplays manning the 2nd unit and Sutter gets more time on the pk's manning the 1st unit.

Special teams aside though, their even strength ice time will be relatively equal.

3 hours ago, Derp... said:

Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson

Baertschi-Sutter-Rodin

Etem-Horvat-Hansen

Granlund-Gaunce-Burrows

Dorsett/Grenier/Virtanen (whoever earns it)

Edler-Tanev

Hutton-Gudbranson

Tryamkin-Larsen

Sbisa, Pedan

Millsy

Marky

I just don't understand the thinking of Etem on the third line.  And therein is a large part of the Canucks problem, . . . having players play in positions one or two levels above their paygrade, ie Higgins.  Until Etem proves he can produce like a third line player, he should play on the forth line, and or be in and out of the lineup, because the truth is he has NEVER produce like a third liner.  His production over 4 years and 170 NHL games is roughly a point every 4 games, or about 20 points a season.  If we play guys that product 20 points a year on the third line, we will continue to be one of the lowest scoring clubs in the NHL.

He is a project with his third team in his short NHL career, that so far has not turned out .  There is a reason.   While I agree he has potential, by definition potential means not doing it yet, and to date, he hasn't.  I like us qualifying him, especially at the money we are paying, to give him one last chance to turn potential into production.

I'll be a little surprised if Dorsett & Sbisa make it to opening night.

It's being pretty widely reported Canucks are trying to move Sbisa.

Canucks at present have 14 projected roster forwards and Benning wants to add one more. That says to me that there's someone in that group he's moving on from. My guess is Dorsett.

I'm gonna assume Canucks manage to land Kane.

Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson

Kane-Sutter-Rodin

Baertschi-Horvat-Hansen 

Etem-Granlund-Virtanen 

Megna

Edler-Tanev

Hutton-Gudbranson

Tryamkin-Larsen

Pedan/Biega

Miller

Markstrom

There's a 23 man roster that doesn't involve placing anyone even semi important like Pedan on waivers. 

Moving Dorsett and Sbisa is equal to Kane's cap hit too so Canucks would still have 3-4 million of available cap as well if an opportunity presented itself mid season.

Honestly though, that's a pretty damn respectable roster.

23 minutes ago, Stormriders said:

I just don't understand the thinking of Etem on the third line.  And therein is a large part of the Canucks problem, . . . having players play in positions one or two levels above their paygrade, ie Higgins.  Until Etem proves he can produce like a third line player, he should play on the forth line, and or be in and out of the lineup, because the truth is he has NEVER produce like a third liner.  His production over 4 years and 170 NHL games is roughly a point every 4 games, or about 20 points a season.  If we play guys that product 20 points a year on the third line, we will continue to be one of the lowest scoring clubs in the NHL.

He is a project with his third team in his short NHL career, that so far has not turned out .  There is a reason.   While I agree he has potential, by definition potential means not doing it yet, and to date, he hasn't.  I like us qualifying him, especially at the money we are paying, to give him one last chance to turn potential into production.

If he rides out the storm of preseason better than the other 4th line forwards wouldn't it make sense to start him there? He already has chemistry with Bo, and can be part of an effective checking/transition line. Personally I think Etem Horvat and Hansen would be a great line, but if you want to put someone else there so be it.

7 minutes ago, Boddy604 said:

I'll be a little surprised if Dorsett & Sbisa make it to opening night.

It's being pretty widely reported Canucks are trying to move Sbisa.

Canucks at present have 14 projected roster forwards and Benning wants to add one more. That says to me that there's someone in that group he's moving on from. My guess is Dorsett.

I'm gonna assume Canucks manage to land Kane.

Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson

Kane-Sutter-Rodin

Baertschi-Horvat-Hansen 

Etem-Granlund-Virtanen 

Megna

Edler-Tanev

Hutton-Gudbranson

Tryamkin-Larsen

Pedan/Biega

Miller

Markstrom

There's a 23 man roster that doesn't involve placing anyone even semi important like Pedan on waivers. 

Moving Dorsett and Sbisa is equal to Kane's cap hit too so Canucks would still have 3-4 million of available cap as well if an opportunity presented itself mid season.

Honestly though, that's a pretty damn respectable roster.

I think that would be the best move we could make but will it happen ? I hear Kane has some issues and Van city isn't a good town to stop getting into trouble but on paper our roster looks much better with him on it. Not having to waiver our prospects is good asset management . One question though, what to you see in Megna that he makes our roster ?

5 hours ago, Patrick Kane said:

jNtdGxZ.png

Thoughts? (Line combos, who will make the team, who will be gone, etc.)

Will update after any trades, signings, training camp surprised, etc...

Please pin @StealthNuck

A second line of Baer, Horvat, and Virtanen is going to get demolished. And that fourth line of Burrows, Granlund and Dorsett is probably one of the weakest I've seen.

Sedin-Sedin-Sutter

Baerstchi-Horvat-Eriksson

Burrows-Granlund-Hansen

Etem-Gaunce-Dorsett/Rodin

I would like to see Sutter with the Sedins and have Eriksson balance out the second line. Wouldn't want Eriksson to go all "Vrbata" on us though as he was probably promised time with the twins. Maybe move him up for the power play?

1 hour ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Just assembled dismembered pieces of past members. That they all take to wing is the thing. Kinda like Buff Bill sewin up a skin-dress...

Bustin yer balls ol' abroadski 

No need to bring Probert out of retirement 

2 hours ago, TimberWolf said:

Bo will start the season on the third line with Etem

Makes no sense but Sutter is higher on the depth chart. 

I'm all for Bo starting on the 3rd line. He had a rough go last season when he was thrown into the 2nd line center against some of the toughest competition in the league. He started to adapt in the last 2 months or so, but I would like to see him sheltered for at least 1 more season. Now that he has the experience, let him run amok against lesser competition and wean him into the greater responsibility as he develops and gains more confidence.

I recognize that I'm not an expert. It's just my personal opinion that we will end up with a better player in the long run with a gradual development. I'd like him to follow a Kesler type curve but only slightly more accelerated since I believe he is a bit better of a player than Kesler was at the same age.

Impossible to say, as Benning has said himself that he isn't done yet. Expect another winger to be brought in to flank either the 2nd or 3rd line.

Also, I have Horvat centering my second line, as he likely has a higher offensive ceiling than Sutter.

1 minute ago, luckylager said:

Bustin yer balls ol' abroadski 

No need to bring Probert out of retirement 

Au contraire, L2..doubt that's in your nature. Kinda getting optimistic about Louie, Louie..it's nice bonus that we picked him from the Broon-goon pocket.

Don't mind the look of this collection, but imagine we'll all need peace/patience for another season, or two.

5 hours ago, Glory_Days said:

It depends, if Larsen can help our pp unit, he easily wins out over Sbisa. None of our defense can really QB a pp.

Edler - We've all seen how horrible he is at it

Tanev - Great defenseman, not much offense to his game though

Gudbranson - See above

Sbisa - Is Physical, again not a great puck mover or shot

Hutton - Too early to say, has potential to be effective on the pp

Tryamkin - When you're this big, you got a cannon of shot, be interesting to see if he's used on the point on pp, or maybe used down low to screen the goalie

Scoring 26 points as a rookie with our teams defence says a lot imo. He'll get his opportunities this season on the PP I would think. 

3 minutes ago, ThaShady1 said:

Scoring 26 points as a rookie with our teams defence says a lot imo. He'll get his opportunities this season on the PP I would think. 

Like I said, he has potential, but he only had one goal. I believe he can be effective on the PP, just not sure if he can QB one.

Depends on how his shot develops, accurate? hard? gets it through traffic? all important traits to have for manning the point on the PP.

22 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Au contraire, L2..doubt that's in your nature. Kinda getting optimistic about Louie, Louie..it's nice bonus that we picked him from the Broon-goon pocket.

Don't mind the look of this collection, but imagine we'll all need peace/patience for another season, or two.

Or three..

Good thing JB's looking for a winger, cuz.. yeah..

I am excited we got Loui though. What's the over/under, in months, for when he gets chased out of town? No matter- I give him 56

I think we see Larsen in the lineup because we don't have Weber nor Bartkowski anymore. As meh as they were defensively they were arguably our two best options on the PP. If we have Sbisa instead of Larsen, our second unit PP would contain Tanev and Gudbranson most likely which probably isn't very intimidating. 

Larsen also fits well with Tryamkin as one is left and one is right handed.

Sedin - Sedin - Eriksson

Burrows - Sutter - Hansen

Baertschi - Horvat - Virtanen

Etem - Granlund - Dorsett

Rodin/Gaunce

Tanev - Edler

Hutton - Gudbranson

Sbisa - Tryamkin

Markstrom

Miller

Not half bad. I'd like to see what kind of game Burrows brings to the table with a full summer of training under him. 

Sutter, Hansen, and Burrows all play a similar Grindy game and can all put the puck in the net. This line won't be pretty to watch, but I think they'll be effective.

Virtanen played his best hockey with Horvat, and Baertschi and Bo have developed some chemistry. This line could be fun as a 2b kid line.

the fourth line is a joke. Just sweep all of Benning's blunders into one place, give them 5-7 minutes a night and hope they don't get scored on. Maybe Gaunce and Rodin will be good enough so the team can waive Etem and trade Granlund for a 5th.

Archived