The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Report) NHL spoke to the Canucks about Gudbranson threatening Martin

PhillipBlunt

2 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I have no problem with the leafs being ahead of us Heck they got top picks up the wazoo, Matthews Marner and Nylander has the room now (not the focus) to develop and is doing better.

What I do have a problem with is our lack of response to this new chippier league. Why were we so late to add Tryamkin?Why keep Larsen in there when we all saw Stecher do a better (physical too) job. 

Chaput took us a bit to find but is fast and hits. LaBate is fast and hits. 

I would love to see Baers sit for a game if he's not going to score and have LaBate in to bodycheck. A player like LaBate needs to come in if a winger is underperforming ie Baers Burr and Granlund DON"T SCORE THAN SIT and let a bodychecker fill your spot for a game.

I love Biega but he needs to be in Utica playing and helping we could use his spot to keep another PTO or whatever.

#hateteamtoosoft

Green knows his players and their strengths.. I think the look of the Nucks will change a wee bit when he gets here.

Labate, Chaput, Pedan..  add to that the timely availability of Rodin,. and my big city wish of getting E Kane for Tanev.. a hole that Stetcher has replaced already, and Pedan will bolster.

On Dec. 3rd.. I hope The likes of our guys totally ignore Martin, and completely and physically destroy the Leafs golden boys hit after hit, so that Martin is the last one standing.  #BoomTimeBaby

4 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I have no problem with the leafs being ahead of us Heck they got top picks up the wazoo, Matthews Marner and Nylander has the room now (not the focus) to develop and is doing better.

What I do have a problem with is our lack of response to this new chippier league. Why were we so late to add Tryamkin?Why keep Larsen in there when we all saw Stecher do a better (physical too) job. 

Chaput took us a bit to find but is fast and hits. LaBate is fast and hits. 

I would love to see Baers sit for a game if he's not going to score and have LaBate in to bodycheck. A player like LaBate needs to come in if a winger is underperforming ie Baers Burr and Granlund DON"T SCORE THAN SIT and let a bodychecker fill your spot for a game.

I love Biega but he needs to be in Utica playing and helping we could use his spot to keep another PTO or whatever.

#hateteamtoosoft

I would like to see the same thing as well. Play those working hard and sit the floaters. Same with the pp. Not sure if WD knows who to sit or who to play. I gave him the benefit of the doubt last year but this year is different.  As far as I am concerned guys are still vying for jobs and the window is WIDE OPEN.

On 09/11/2016 at 2:31 PM, PhillipBlunt said:

You're a turn the other cheek type, aren't you? You'd prefer that the Canucks take abuse and not exact an equal revenge. That's been going on for years now, and it earned the Canucks the reputation for being pushovers.

Gudbranson probably should have kept it bottled up and vented out of the earshot of goofs like Abbot and Murphy, but he didn't. He wants to stand up for his teammates. And Pears makes a good point. Do you think that the league should have spoken to Lucic regarding wanting to kill Weise?

this is why teams keep hurting the Canuck players...they've stopped standing up for themselves after the Bertuzzi incident.

On 2016-11-11 at 9:23 AM, debluvscanucks said:

Warning:  this will be long.

You are absoutely right...that bolded part is important.  But don't just go back to that moment (and after).  That's hardly fair or complete.  In a situation where someone's been hurt, you look at how it ALL played out to get answers.  It's why  we investigate car crashes rather than simply awarding victims.  Even in assaults, there are witnesses and statements and an overall big picture look at things.  And Steve Moore wasn't the only one injured here....but we've chosen to dissect things and extract that part.  Because the rest can be neatly rolled into the game.  But why?  

When some hot shot rookie is trying to make a name for himself and TARGETS someone as part of that, it sets the stage for follow up.  And the league's responsibility in that was to send a strong message, but they failed to.  Instead, they sold tickets fueled on emotion and the very payback/rivalry that would ensue.  But they didn't count on a twist of fate that had a (blindside) punch result in injury.  But hey....blindside HITS are ok?   Like that somehow addresses things and will eliminate further risk.   (They still haven't .... which is why Kadri is building momentum).

Let me break it down for you. 

In a game where rookie brainiac Steve Moore is trying to establish himself, there is a loose puck in front of him.  The goal in the game is to:  GET THE PUCK AND SCORE.  He had a chance to go for a puck....what he should be trying to do.  But he isn't focused on the puck....he is going to blindside someone....lines him up.   That's only, really. supposed to be part of getting the puck or protecting the puck.  He wasn't one bit interested in it from what we can see in these pictures.  

He bindsides Nazzy and rendered a concussion and a hospital stay.    But that kind of blindsiding is ok...it was then and it continues to be.  But should it?   If we truly are attempting to ensure player safety?   Or is that just a banner that we wave?

So this one is ok....because blindside HITS that take a guy's head off are acceptable.  No monster here.  No big bad Steve Moore.  Even though he didn't really try to get a puck and score...the name of the game....he had other ideas.  And blindsided a guy and hurt him. 

FTR:  before that blindside hit, Nazzy'd averaged 43 goals in the previous 3 seasons.  After that hit:  27.

A year before that he was a +24 player...the year following this blindside hit?  -19  (literally).

So let's put all the big bad players who dole out blindside hits/punches in the same category.  Not just one guy, because his "victim" didn't fare "as well" as others.

As much as some focused on BIG BAD BERT, he was an angry guy in an angry game (Kurt Sauer ring a bell?) who blindside punched someone who had blindside smashed someone else.....someone he cared about.  His friend and teammate.  No excuses...but he's but one of the BIG BADS in this story. 

The innocent Avs put goons out there...could have ended ugly on many fronts.  And....did.  And the league STILL is giving a green light to blindside head hunts.  The settlement sought and awarded to Moore isn't the end of the story, it's only part of it.   There's a before and....unfortunately, an after.

It started here....with a puck up for grabs that Steve Moore seemingly had NO interest in.  The game is all about getting the puck, isn't it? 
photo moore 1_zpshnudcw3w.jpg

This one, in particular.  Come on Steve, reach out and snag that puck.  No?  (Hint:  Steve doesn't really want the puck...he wants a piece of our Captain)

photo moore 2_zps1bkxwzqy.jpg

A "hockey play" would be to grab that puck and go.  But....no.

photo moore 3_zpsymk8iwyz.jpg

IT'S RIGHT THERE, STEVIE....GET THAT PUCK AND SCORE LIKE THE SUPERSTAR YOU'D BE PAID OUT AS.

No?

photo moore 4_zps4hyf0snf.jpg

Hey Steve....why are you letting the puck float past and launching yourself away from it?  GET THAT PUCK

Nazem...you taking notes? 

photo moore 6_zpscwirdxtu.jpg

Oh.

That's why.   You weren't ever going for the puck.

But that's ok...it's part of the game.   A "hockey play", even though hockey is all about the puck.  And Steve didn't seem interested (at all) in the puck.  I don't think it was a hockey play at all...I think it was dirty and should have been addressed as such.

photo moore 7_zps3dzpqhae.jpg

photo moore 8_zpsetbbqtxo.jpg

And we all were supposed to live happily ever after.

I agree with what you are saying. I may have some issue with small points but the thrust of your argument, i have no problem with. My opinion is that this is because the league is run by ex players who believe that hockey is beyond man's reach, it is an entity of its own that can't be altered, as opposed to be about money (because keeping the players healthy would in fact increase revenues in the long term). Stuff like don't step on a team's crest in a dressing room is a symtom of that screwy mentality. So yes, hockey has a lot of catching up to do and certainly Bettman's obfuscation does not help. But, that is still no excuse for Bertuzzi's action. I am not talking about the punch for behind but the driving of the head into the ice. That was him snapping. He had a choice. The situation that you describe caused a situation where this could happen. It did NOT make it inevitable. It is not like a series of events left him with no choice.

On 11/11/2016 at 9:23 AM, debluvscanucks said:

Warning:  this will be long.

You are absoutely right...that bolded part is important.  But don't just go back to that moment (and after).  That's hardly fair or complete.  In a situation where someone's been hurt, you look at how it ALL played out to get answers.  It's why  we investigate car crashes rather than simply awarding victims.  Even in assaults, there are witnesses and statements and an overall big picture look at things.  And Steve Moore wasn't the only one injured here....but we've chosen to dissect things and extract that part.  Because the rest can be neatly rolled into the game.  But why?  

When some hot shot rookie is trying to make a name for himself and TARGETS someone as part of that, it sets the stage for follow up.  And the league's responsibility in that was to send a strong message, but they failed to.  Instead, they sold tickets fueled on emotion and the very payback/rivalry that would ensue.  But they didn't count on a twist of fate that had a (blindside) punch result in injury.  But hey....blindside HITS are ok?   Like that somehow addresses things and will eliminate further risk.   (They still haven't .... which is why Kadri is building momentum).

Let me break it down for you. 

In a game where rookie brainiac Steve Moore is trying to establish himself, there is a loose puck in front of him.  The goal in the game is to:  GET THE PUCK AND SCORE.  He had a chance to go for a puck....what he should be trying to do.  But he isn't focused on the puck....he is going to blindside someone....lines him up.   That's only, really. supposed to be part of getting the puck or protecting the puck.  He wasn't one bit interested in it from what we can see in these pictures.  

He bindsides Nazzy and rendered a concussion and a hospital stay.    But that kind of blindsiding is ok...it was then and it continues to be.  But should it?   If we truly are attempting to ensure player safety?   Or is that just a banner that we wave?

So this one is ok....because blindside HITS that take a guy's head off are acceptable.  No monster here.  No big bad Steve Moore.  Even though he didn't really try to get a puck and score...the name of the game....he had other ideas.  And blindsided a guy and hurt him. 

FTR:  before that blindside hit, Nazzy'd averaged 43 goals in the previous 3 seasons.  After that hit:  27.

A year before that he was a +24 player...the year following this blindside hit?  -19  (literally).

So let's put all the big bad players who dole out blindside hits/punches in the same category.  Not just one guy, because his "victim" didn't fare "as well" as others.

As much as some focused on BIG BAD BERT, he was an angry guy in an angry game (Kurt Sauer ring a bell?) who blindside punched someone who had blindside smashed someone else.....someone he cared about.  His friend and teammate.  No excuses...but he's but one of the BIG BADS in this story. 

The innocent Avs put goons out there...could have ended ugly on many fronts.  And....did.  And the league STILL is giving a green light to blindside head hunts.  The settlement sought and awarded to Moore isn't the end of the story, it's only part of it.   There's a before and....unfortunately, an after.

It started here....with a puck up for grabs that Steve Moore seemingly had NO interest in.  The game is all about getting the puck, isn't it? 
photo moore 1_zpshnudcw3w.jpg

This one, in particular.  Come on Steve, reach out and snag that puck.  No?  (Hint:  Steve doesn't really want the puck...he wants a piece of our Captain)

photo moore 2_zps1bkxwzqy.jpg

A "hockey play" would be to grab that puck and go.  But....no.

photo moore 3_zpsymk8iwyz.jpg

IT'S RIGHT THERE, STEVIE....GET THAT PUCK AND SCORE LIKE THE SUPERSTAR YOU'D BE PAID OUT AS.

No?

Hey Steve....why are you letting the puck float past and launching yourself away from it?  GET THAT PUCK

Nazem...you taking notes? 

photo moore 6_zpscwirdxtu.jpg

Oh.

That's why.   You weren't ever going for the puck.

But that's ok...it's part of the game.   A "hockey play", even though hockey is all about the puck.  And Steve didn't seem interested (at all) in the puck.  I don't think it was a hockey play at all...I think it was dirty and should have been addressed as such.

photo moore 7_zps3dzpqhae.jpg

photo moore 8_zpsetbbqtxo.jpg

And we all were supposed to live happily ever after.

There's a whole lot of "making it up" in there.

First, at that time there was no rule against blindside hits, or head contract.

Second, in frame 3 Naslund is clearly looking directly at Moore meaning you have to be blind to call it a blindside hit.

Third, Naslund wasn't slowly coasting in, he was coming with speed. This was a case of two players racing for the loose puck.

Fourth, Moore won the race and swept the puck away from Naslund with his stick.

Fifth, At this point Moore braced for the inevitable contact. The sensible thing for any player to do knowing there's going to be a collision.

Finally, Naslund put himself in an awkward vulnerable position stretching out for a puck he should have realized he had lost the race for. Rather foolish considering they were on a collision course. Those frames combined don't even add up to half a second. The league minimum for reaction time. Meaning there wasn't really a lot of time to change what was happening once the puck was played.

As much of a fan of Naslund as I am, and as much as I hated seeing him get injured, it's a play that wouldn't have been suspended even today. When two players go hard for a loose puck from different directions a collision will occur. That's just part of the game.

On 11/12/2016 at 2:53 AM, SilentSam said:

Green knows his players and their strengths.. I think the look of the Nucks will change a wee bit when he gets here.

Labate, Chaput, Pedan..  add to that the timely availability of Rodin,. and my big city wish of getting E Kane for Tanev.. a hole that Stetcher has replaced already, and Pedan will bolster.

On Dec. 3rd.. I hope The likes of our guys totally ignore Martin, and completely and physically destroy the Leafs golden boys hit after hit, so that Martin is the last one standing.  #BoomTimeBaby

It would maybe help stop DOPS intervening in the future... and let goons fight it out instead.

Imagine poster boy Matthews or Nylander creamed...

4 minutes ago, spook007 said:

It would maybe help stop DOPS intervening in the future... and let goons fight it out instead.

Imagine poster boy Matthews or Nylander creamed...

WN doesn't go to the dirty areas, so it will have to be Matthews or Marner.

On 11/10/2016 at 3:52 PM, Team Bagues said:

My thoughts as well.

Send the big Russian to f*** Martin up; and let Guddy speed bag that little Kadri turd.

Then send out Dorsett to ram his fists through Matthews forehead....

I would also like to see Burr and Reilly fight again - refs got involved too early last time.

Careful there

Trym does not have the experience necessary to hang with someone like Martin, he would get slaughtered

fighting is a skill (Rick Ryp) size is an advantage but skill and experience will beat it  9/10 times (I just set someone up for a pun there..BATTER UP!)

8 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Guess you won't find him at the Strip then :)

:lol:  Actually WN reminds me of a previous player the Leafs had years ago.  Cherry said the guy could play the entire game with eggs in his pants, and not break any - Inge Hammarström

2 hours ago, terrible.dee said:

Careful there

Trym does not have the experience necessary to hang with someone like Martin, he would get slaughtered

fighting is a skill (Rick Ryp) size is an advantage but skill and experience will beat it  9/10 times (I just set someone up for a pun there..BATTER UP!)

Matt Martin? Tryamkin could manage that idiot. He might get stung a couple of times, but to suggest that he'd get slaughtered is bordering on ridiculous.

If Byfuglien or Lucic were Tryamkin's dance partner, maybe, but Martin while a large and burly player, does tend to pick his spots, and has a penchant for picking on far smaller players as proven quite recently.

On 11/11/2016 at 10:23 AM, debluvscanucks said:

You weren't ever going for the puck.

So much :wub: for you Deb.

I have been preaching exactly this forever.

8 hours ago, Baggins said:

There's a whole lot of "making it up" in there.

First, at that time there was no rule against blindside hits, or head contract.

Second, in frame 3 Naslund is clearly looking directly at Moore meaning you have to be blind to call it a blindside hit.

Third, Naslund wasn't slowly coasting in, he was coming with speed. This was a case of two players racing for the loose puck.

Fourth, Moore won the race and swept the puck away from Naslund with his stick.

Fifth, At this point Moore braced for the inevitable contact. The sensible thing for any player to do knowing there's going to be a collision.

Finally, Naslund put himself in an awkward vulnerable position stretching out for a puck he should have realized he had lost the race for. Rather foolish considering they were on a collision course. Those frames combined don't even add up to half a second. The league minimum for reaction time. Meaning there wasn't really a lot of time to change what was happening once the puck was played.

As much of a fan of Naslund as I am, and as much as I hated seeing him get injured, it's a play that wouldn't have been suspended even today. When two players go hard for a loose puck from different directions a collision will occur. That's just part of the game.

Wow talk about "making it up". I remember that play as if it was yesterday and I seen an elbow to the head of one the stars of the game. This was at a time when the stars were never touched and especially not from some "no name" rookie. You can try to call the play whatever you like but an elbow to the head WAS A PENALTY back then regardless.  A major penalty at that. BUT.......there was no penalty called never mind any kind of suspension. So I think you are in the minority in how you seen this play and how the rest of us seen it. AND Moore "swept the puck with his stick"? Moore wasn't even looking at the puck.

15 hours ago, Baggins said:

When two players go hard for a loose puck from different directions a collision will occur. That's just part of the game.

A whole lot of making it up up there. 

But this part, especially.  Only one guy was going for the puck...the other didn't give a flying puck about it.

And the game's about getting the puck, first and foremost.

9 hours ago, StraightFlush said:

To this day I firmly believe it wasn't bertuzzi that broke moores neck, it was the two (three?) avalanche that dogpiled bertuzzi after. 

Actually looks like two canucks first, then two avalanche later. Either way that couldn't have been good

I believe the same thing.

Archived