The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What truly makes you happy?

JV77

In general idealistic terms

1. Someone to love and be loved in return by 

2. A purpose that is fulfilling to the person in question. This could be a job, creating art, giving back, whatever makes you feel fulfilled. 

In simple terms I think that's all you need to be happy BUT the world isn't a utopia and most everyone has to deal with the stresses of meeting needs, paying bills etc. To meet these needs we often have to forgo number 2 because what fulfills us usually doesn't make any money. Thus we end up taking jobs that take up large portions of our time in order to get a paycheque. Yes, in rare cases people can love their job and make enough to meet all needs but for the vast majority of us, we are doing things that we make the best of but is far from our dreams.

As for number 1. Finding someone like that remains a bit of a crapshoot. So many other factors go into now, its not like it was 2 generations ago where most people married and found love with the person down the street. Now there are so many options and dynamics in play (do I text back now or wait, can I do better than who I have now? etc etc.) that "the one" as the movies put it is seemingly more and more illusive. That being said I apologize for the long post and I don't mean to be a downer. My advice, just keep searching for the above two things and if one is lucky, they will be able to find it

24 minutes ago, naslundfan921 said:

In general idealistic terms

1. Someone to love and be loved in return by 

2. A purpose that is fulfilling to the person in question. This could be a job, creating art, giving back, whatever makes you feel fulfilled. 

In simple terms I think that's all you need to be happy BUT the world isn't a utopia and most everyone has to deal with the stresses of meeting needs, paying bills etc. To meet these needs we often have to forgo number 2 because what fulfills us usually doesn't make any money. Thus we end up taking jobs that take up large portions of our time in order to get a paycheque. Yes, in rare cases people can love their job and make enough to meet all needs but for the vast majority of us, we are doing things that we make the best of but is far from our dreams.

As for number 1. Finding someone like that remains a bit of a crapshoot. So many other factors go into now, its not like it was 2 generations ago where most people married and found love with the person down the street. Now there are so many options and dynamics in play (do I text back now or wait, can I do better than who I have now? etc etc.) that "the one" as the movies put it is seemingly more and more illusive. That being said I apologize for the long post and I don't mean to be a downer. My advice, just keep searching for the above two things and if one is lucky, they will be able to find it

Thanks for the effort Nas921, but it's such a subjective question, ain't it? Not the easiest thing to define, & so many emotions run relative to what's going on around us.

Then there's TMI..Can any of us be truly happy if there was(let's say) war & destruction going on in a country/region next door? Even if one had every bluddy thing they had ever wanted?

One can philosophize about this stuff 'til the cows come home.

Effective, ubiquitous & persuasive advertising, which blurs the mostly indiscernable line seperating the items I either want or need, enabling(necessitating?) a persistent, subconcious quest, mindlessly partaking in rampant consumerism.

What would this planet be like with say, 5% of the advertising(in all it's forms) that currently exists? Ask such a question of the avg consumer, & within 3 or 4 individuals, you'll likely encounter animosity, as if you'd suggested torturing their house pet.

But then try asking a succession of random people what this world would be like, if we were all deprived of love, & you'd probably receive thoughtful responses.

Consumerism(& resultant competitiveness) has f*cked our heads(collectively), likely beyond repair.

So I posit we cannot truly fathom that which pleases us, without first fully contemplating that which makes us ill(& rules over our thoughts).

Archived