The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Calgary Flames

Darius

27 minutes ago, rekker said:

I think they are close to being a playoff contender. Ferland is a big loss for them though. Kind of a soft team really.

Will be interesting to see what happens in the playoffs, which they SHOULD make.  They've only made it once since we met them in 2015 and were swept by the Ducks.  Would be a fun first-round matchup, as we have the horses to ramp up the physical playoff intensity.  But that goaltending -- it could cost them not just a round, but making the playoffs period should it be a repeat of last year.

12 hours ago, Bitter Melon said:

He didn't make any mention of Tkachuk's skill, he's obviously a very talented player. He's talking about Tkachuk quickly turning into one of the scummiest players in the league, and that its not going to do them any favours with the refs.

9 hours ago, ruilin96 said:

Again great skill, but still, as time goes on, he won't get the benefit of the doubt from the referees. And as for his dad, I have heard numerous rumours about how he isn't necessary a teamplayer in the locker room. Tkachuk does have unique skill. Good hands, very good vision and passing, with his frame. But to me he will be a distraction when things don't go well for the team.

This pic was as of October 23. The better he gets as a player, I don’t expect it to change much.

BCC46B73-CD81-4E7D-9AB0-83784E5FDD98.jpeg

12 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

They should go for him, but can't see any way they can with their current roster.  Capfriendly showing them with $12mil available but needing to re-up Tkachuk (min $6mil), 3 other forwards, 1 defenceman, and 2 goalies.  Even if the cap goes up again they're still not going to have much to pay for a real goalie, as if Rittich plays well he'll get a raise too.  Bennett won't get them much if they try to move him, maybe a similar prospect/pick(s).  

Again, I think they'll have to try to dump Frolik and Stone, and replace them with ELC guys like Foo.  Like Edmonton, this really shows the need to always have quality young players coming, to compensate for the high-tagged veterans.  Looks as though next year they're going to have to go the Oiler route to fill holes with bargain-bin UFAs like Rieder, Chaisson, and Garrison as like the Coil they've become top-heavy and shallow.

They lost tonight, which means we are officially ranked first in the Pacific, even considering games played B)

image.png.5b324e2ccb259d9012914e4a77ea9827.png

I think you are correct, one of Stone or Frolik will need to be moved for sure. 

21 minutes ago, aqua59 said:

Calgary seems to be stuck but not quite as bad a Edmonton because of their depth. 

I've not watched much of them this season but I'm curious about their goaltending this season. 

Has it improved from last year? Has it been consistent?

Goaltending has been a huge issue for them. Smith has been pretty inconsistent, Rittich's given them more of a chance to win games despite being the 'backup'.

They call us the "goalie graveyard". Then there's Calgary..

From Kari Ramo, drafting MacDonald over Demko, to Jonas Hiller, Joni Ortio, Brian Elliott, Eddie Lack, Chad Johnson who played amazing for them but packaged him for an aging Mike Smith who's been inconsistent for them. Gillies is a huge question mark. Tyler Parsons hasn't had a great start to his pro career. Year after year Calgary's problems have been goaltending among other things. 

To answer your question, it's still been the same old same old from last year, actually for majority of the decade. Mediocre.

4 hours ago, Odd. said:

Goaltending has been a huge issue for them. Smith has been pretty inconsistent, Rittich's given them more of a chance to win games despite being the 'backup'.

They call us the "goalie graveyard". Then there's Calgary..

From Kari Ramo, drafting MacDonald over Demko, to Jonas Hiller, Joni Ortio, Brian Elliott, Eddie Lack, Chad Johnson who played amazing for them but packaged him for an aging Mike Smith who's been inconsistent for them. Gillies is a huge question mark. Tyler Parsons hasn't had a great start to his pro career. Year after year Calgary's problems have been goaltending among other things. 

To answer your question, it's still been the same old same old from last year, actually for majority of the decade. Mediocre.

Thanks. Like Edmonton they don't seem to develop players. 

I find it amusing that in 2015 after their fluke year and eliminated us from the playoffs, Flames fan claim their team is the next “Chicago Blackhawks” in the making and how the Canucks will suck for a long time.

This year, we are rebuilding and currently  a very injured team. Yet, we are still kind of neck and neck with them in the standings and divisional playoff race.

7 hours ago, Shift-4 said:

I wonder if they at least wore down the Habs for us last night?

45 SOG, I will say atleast their goalie is a bit wore down or use up some of his luck. I am going to the game tomorrow, so I hope the Canucks atleast show up to play.

45 SOG, they dominated the Habs but guess what caused their downfall? They lost again because of their goaltending. As long as they insist on starting Smith on most nights they will lose a lot more games. Two very soft goals he let in last night

14 minutes ago, Odd. said:

45 SOG, they dominated the Habs but guess what caused their downfall? They lost again because of their goaltending. As long as they insist on starting Smith on most nights they will lose a lot more games. Two very soft goals he let in last night

As long as the Friggin’ Loser Flames lose again, who care?  God I hate that city.  I liked Ferland, and Giordano is okay, but the rest of that team can just go on being losers.  I like Peter’s though. 

2 hours ago, aqua59 said:

Very nice comeback last night. As the round table mentioned it was 80's hockey and exciting. Loved the Edmonton loss. Still hate calgary.

It’s good too to hear about Rittich (maybe?) becoming the starter over Smith.  The Flames and the Oilers have goalies like ours - they are crap.

Archived