The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) Sbisa or gudbranson

orcasgonewild

9 minutes ago, apollo said:

Well he's my favourite player... even if Sbeezus wasn't first on the team in +/- with an impeccable +7 and Gudy wasn't minus -14 and last on the team, I'd probably say the same thing.

But yea... Sbeezus is #1 on the team and Gudy is dead last with a horrible -14. 

Hope other GM's think Gud is great... right now I wouldn't sign him to anything more than a 1 year 2 million which he obviously rejects. Or maybe hope some team give him a 6 mill AAV offer sheet and take the picks and run! 

Yes the good ole +/-.....the true barometer of a players worth.

Don't consider that Gudbranson is injured and played with that injury for sometime before being examined.

Leave out the fact that he was traded this past summer to a different team in a different conference and division, but has to acclimate within one game (which, you know, always happens...)

Forget to remember that his defensive partner had a horrible start to the year, looking completely clueless, yet Gudbranson was somehow supposed to take on a mentorship role for a player 6 months his junior.

How was Sbisa in the series against the Flames?

37 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

How was Sbisa in the series against the Flames?

A) He wasn't that bad... Willie lost us that series after Willie did great to get us into the playoffs.

B) Why is it relevant? Yes Sbisa wasn't as good of a player in 2014-2015. It's 2016-2017 now and he's come miles

also further more... I said he's only played 30 games and I hope he proves me wrong. He wasn't good though when he played. 

1 minute ago, apollo said:

A) He wasn't that bad... Willie lost us that series after Willie did great to get us into the playoffs.

B) Why is it relevant? Yes Sbisa wasn't as good of a player in 2014-2015. It's 2016-2017 now and he's come miles

also further more... I said he's only played 30 games and I hope he proves me wrong. He wasn't good though when he played. 

What I'm trying to get at apollo, is that Sbisa was pretty awful a year or two ago. Just a bloody mess in his own end. His confidence in carrying the puck out was non-existent, and his tenacity in his own end was questionable.

Now at 26, he has turned a corner and looks great. He does everything well now, and has helped to anchor a blueline pummeled by injuries.

Can the same patience not be afforded for Gudbranson after he heals? His ferocity alone is severely lacking on the defensive corp, and teams have gladly exploited the ease in which this team's defense has bowed when pushed.

I'd like to think that Erik will be dying to prove himself once he's healed, and along with Sbisa, Tryamkin, Tanev, Stecher and the rest, will make the Canucks zone a hellish experience for the opposition.

I think that Sbisa has improved this year and is turning into what Benning wanted. He is mobile and plays with an edge. His brain farts have dropped right off and now he makes no more mistakes then anyone else. Guddy has not been as bad as people let on and when healthy brings the level of nasty that Benning wants. I would like to see some size and nasty on each pairing. I personally think that Tanev will be the odd man out. I love Tanev but he is becoming injury prone and seems to always be getting plastered to the boards.

Edler                 Stecher       

Tryamkin           Hutton

Sbisa                 Guddy

Juolevi , Subbban , Pedan            

29 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

What I'm trying to get at apollo, is that Sbisa was pretty awful a year or two ago. Just a bloody mess in his own end. His confidence in carrying the puck out was non-existent, and his tenacity in his own end was questionable.

Now at 26, he has turned a corner and looks great. He does everything well now, and has helped to anchor a blueline pummeled by injuries.

Can the same patience not be afforded for Gudbranson after he heals? His ferocity alone is severely lacking on the defensive corp, and teams have gladly exploited the ease in which this team's defense has bowed when pushed.

I'd like to think that Erik will be dying to prove himself once he's healed, I hope he does. and along with Sbisa, Tryamkin, Tanev, Stecher and the rest, will make the Canucks zone a hellish experience for the opposition.

Well for starters, I don't think he was a bloody mess whatsoever. He was being ragged on because Jimbo got out smarted by his agent. He wasn't as good as he's been this year, but he was always a valuable part of the team if you ask me. 

I agree we need his toughness for sure. But he's at 3.5 million and to qualify him, don't we need to at least give him a %10 raise? It's a matter of dollars and protecting players in expansion... We have too many dman that need to be protected. 

If we can pull off a trade like Hall / Larssen, to land a foward and move one of edler, tanev, gud, you have to pull the trigger. 

37 minutes ago, apollo said:

Well for starters, I don't think he was a bloody mess whatsoever. He was being ragged on because Jimbo got out smarted by his agent.

Nah....he was a turnover machine.

He wasn't as good as he's been this year, but he was always a valuable part of the team if you ask me. 

He's far more consistent now, and yes that makes him valuable, especially that he can be trusted to play with, and help, rookies.

I agree we need his toughness for sure. But he's at 3.5 million and to qualify him, don't we need to at least give him a %10 raise? It's a matter of dollars and protecting players in expansion... We have too many dman that need to be protected.

Stecher and Tryamkin don't require protection.

If we can pull off a trade like Hall / Larssen, to land a foward and move one of edler, tanev, gud, you have to pull the trigger. 

Only the Hall/Larssen trade will exhibit those dynamics. Other trades won't follow that protocol.

Edler - 30

Tanev - 27

Gudbranson - 24

If all are open to being traded, Edler is the obvious choice for the betterment of the team's future. He's past his prime and his value may already show signs of depreciation.

10 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Nah....he was a turnover machine.

He's far more consistent now, and yes that makes him valuable, especially that he can be trusted to play with, and help, rookies.

Stecher and Tryamkin don't require protection.

Only the Hall/Larssen trade will exhibit those dynamics. Other trades won't follow that protocol.

Edler - 30

Tanev - 27

Gudbranson - 24

If all are open to being traded, Edler is the obvious choice for the betterment of the team's future. He's past his prime and his value may already show signs of depreciation.

Edler won't waive his NTC, he's settled in Vancouver... but who knows maybe he'll have a change of heart?.

Tanev is locked up to an incredible value contract if you ask me... I'd move Tanev for a Landeskog or Duchene in a heartbeat. 

Gudbranson is an RFA looking for a raise + based on Jimbo's recent deals, I have a feeling it'll be 6x6 

I'm open to trading any 3... even Sbisa if we can get a good forward in return. Out of the 4, I feel like the avs would only want Gud or Tanev if they were to deal Duchene

1 minute ago, J.R. said:

That's pretty much my preference in order of who we trade.

I might even put Hutton ahead of Gudbranson :ph34r: (though I hope we retain both).

I would put Hutton ahead too. The way I see it, and I may be way off (probably) is that each player has to bring something unique that can be melded in with their pairing.

Edler's worth before was based on his size, physicality, shot, and offensive talent. Those traits that he possesses have been inconsistently demonstrated in the last few years, with this year being one of his most consistent since 2011. However he's 30, and as mentioned, his worth in a trade may have already started to decline. He's still quite reliable though, and has shown some mentorship to Stecher, which has value.

Tanev, is recognized as a near elite (the third most over used term in hockey, next to pedigree and asset management) defensive defenseman whose hockey IQ is criminally underrated. When McDavid and Gallagher are calling out Tanev as the unsung hero of the Worlds, it's hard to ignore. That being said he is not the most durable defenseman from a physical standpoint (and should be paired with Gudbranson to protect him) but also has the greatest value in a trade, by a country mile.

Gudbranson has had an underwhelming season, to say the least, but has had to contend with quite a few things, that seem to escape many posters minds. That being said, he brings something that the other two don't. Not just more size and physicality than both, but a fearlessness that this team needs. He'll take on all comers and has made those accustomed to running ragged in the Canucks end, think twice and change their game plan. As has another even larger defenseman on the team. It's a great thing to have.

This team has offensive talent starting to emerge in Stecher and even Tryamkin showing some wheels in skating the puck deep in to oppositions end, unabated. Factor in Juolevi, Subban and others, and the possibilities are enticing.

Personally, I'd like to see Edler traded, as having Tanev, Gudbranson, Tryamkin, Stecher, Juolevi, Sbisa, and Hutton on the same team, gaining experience and growing chemistry together is far too exciting.

5 minutes ago, apollo said:

Edler won't waive his NTC, he's settled in Vancouver... but who knows maybe he'll have a change of heart?.

Tanev is locked up to an incredible value contract if you ask me... I'd move Tanev for a Landeskog or Duchene in a heartbeat. 

Gudbranson is an RFA looking for a raise + based on Jimbo's recent deals, I have a feeling it'll be 6x6 

I'm open to trading any 3... even Sbisa if we can get a good forward in return. Out of the 4, I feel like the avs would only want Gud or Tanev if they were to deal Duchene

I'd rather avoid Duchene. While he possesses ridiculous speed and skill, he has also demonstrated some serious inconsistency in his game, making some questionable off-ice decisions that don't really scream a "team-first" mentality.

And Landeskog has a history of concussion issues.

Maybe Edler could be convinced to take a trade to a contender. I mean, if Hamhuis and Bieksa did, why wouldn't Edler?

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Personally, I'd like to see Edler traded, as having Tanev, Gudbranson, Tryamkin, Stecher, Juolevi, Sbisa, and Hutton on the same team, gaining experience and growing chemistry together is far too exciting.

Yeah if I could flick my magic wand, he'd likely be first to go, due largely to his age. But he'd be hard enough to move in a normal year what with the NTC and expansion only complicates that further.

Tanev's really the obvious next choice before his NTC kicks in. I prefer to pair him with Sbisa personally if we do retain him though (been saying for a good year they'd make a nice, complimentary pair).

Next year:

Sbisa, Tanev

Tryamkin, Stetcher

Hutton, Gudbranson

or 

Edler, Stetcher

Sbisa, Tryamkin

Hutton, Gudbranson

Either way, that's basically 3 REALLY solid 1B/2A pairings.

8 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I'd rather avoid Duchene. While he possesses ridiculous speed and skill, he has also demonstrated some serious inconsistency in his game, making some questionable off-ice decisions that don't really scream a "team-first" mentality.

And Landeskog has a history of concussion issues.

Maybe Edler could be convinced to take a trade to a contender. I mean, if Hamhuis and Bieksa did, why wouldn't Edler?

I think Sakic would be crazy to trade Landeskog in the first place... especially at 5.71AAV long term. If we wanted to stay away from concussions then Loui wasn't a wise choice. That being said, if god forbid, he gets a 3rd one and has to retire, we're off the hook for the 6 mill AAV. Again... I said god forbid... the last thing I'd wish on anyone not named Doughty, Methot or Keith is a concussion. 

Assuming we can't get Landy, I think Duchene is the perfect fit and his value is relatively low right now. I can see why he'd be inconsistent on a team run by Colorado Joe that's made poor decision after poor decision. 

If those two aren't on the table, who would your ideal return be for one of the 4 dman we've been talking about? 

Just now, apollo said:

If those two aren't on the table, who would your ideal return be for one of the 4 dman we've been talking about? 

Tanev and one of Baer/Granlund for Domi and a pick would be mine. 

They could easily protect both and get two good players one of which minimizes the loss of Domi and the other fills a much needed RHD hole.

We upgrade on LW, minimize expansion losses and gain a pick. 

On 1/18/2017 at 11:06 AM, soshified said:

Funny how people made Sbisa the whipping boy, but now he's being praised as one of the unsung heroes. Now the same thing is happening to EG. 

It takes time and patience people.

Agreed..Canucks have a pretty soft lineup..IMO...This usually rears its ugly head against the Flames,Jets,and Kings (even the Leafs)..There has to be a player that is a deterrent..or has the ability to even the score,,EG is that guy.

We now know that he was playing through an injury,and was paired with a jittery Hutton..I don't think we've seen the best of EG yet.

• 5 months later...
On 1/1/2017 at 9:43 PM, Provost said:

Wow... so up to 13 D could be selected.

Taking a top 4 D from almost half the teams in the league... How about that for cornering the market on a commodity.

That would be a VERY interesting strategy to take.  #4 D are worth quite a bit on the trade market... that value would be increased if you robbed 13 teams of one of their top 4 guys in one fell swoop.  I think I read that you can't trade a player back to the team you selected him from... but can otherwise trade players as per normal.

Keep 6 of them and pick up a ton of assets for the other 7 in trades.  You could probably get some top 6 forwards in return (which you will have basically none of), some blue chip prospects to stock your farm team, and some 2nd round picks.  You still end up with really solid D and solid goaltending right off the bat.

Well this turned out to be the way things went.

We will see what kind of return Vegas gets for an extra 6-8 D that they need to move.  Some solid draft picks for sure.

Archived