The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) Sbisa or gudbranson

orcasgonewild

13 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Yeah, me either.

Sakic is no idiot.

He knows that moving key cornerstone pieces isn't necessarily the answer.

And doing so when there's blood in the water and a tight sellers market doesn't make sense either.

He's only going to make a move if it's a hockey trade of value for value - and dealing forwards for defensemen has been a negative sum market recently.

Their roster is better than their record - it's somewhat puzzling how they could be so bad - but that's the ebb and flow of the NHL - most teams go through it.

I think he likely just waits it out - maybe listens - maybe dumps a few underperforming supporting cast - but I doubt he's particularly motivated to start selling the types of pieces people are speculating about.

I agree, the pieces are there and if their season contnues the way it has so far, they will be adding another very nice piece to it in the draft.  

3 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Nearly 600 5v5 minutes played this season and Sbisa is in the top-30 NHL defensemen in GF%RelTM, top-60 in points/60, and just slightly outside the top-60 in GF%.

And going back since last season, Sbisa has played 1200+ 5v5 minutes and ranks top-60 among NHL defensemen in GF% and top-10 in GF%RelTM (minimum 1000 minutes sample).

The samples are large enough at this point to say that the version of Sbisa we've seen since 2015-16 is one who demonstrably aids his team when he's playing.

Simply put, the Canucks are winning the game, by a significant margin, when Sbisa is on the ice. 

His on-ice goals effect has actually been at a "first pairing" rate for more than 1000 minutes played over two consecutive NHL seasons.

Eye test wise, I think he's really cleaned up his mistakes and now plays quite a steady game most nights. But how good he's been isn't necessarily obvious until you start looking at the numbers (which are nothing short of "great" IMO).

But what about all those Hero charts showing Sbisa to be a 6th d???  Looks like JB knows how to pick up good players when no else is looking. 

I don't see how it would be a slam dunk decision to hypothetically trade either of tanev, Edler, sbisa, GUD for the young Avs forwards.

in defence (no pun) of GUD, he is a young, character, rugged dman. He has obviously been playing through a significant injury; one requiring surgery.  Fair to say we haven't seen his best and at the same time, fair to say playing through something like that shows the character he is known for.

i suppose the negative agains GUD would be that JB needs to sign him although I don't see how GUD has any leverage at this point and no doubt wouldn't find much more of an offer elsewhere.

at the end of it all I would be shocked if JB traded or exposed GUD after one injury year considering the hype at the start of the year.

edler is Edler but he eats up minutes and has an ntc.

sbisa is showing signs of why JB signed him to that contract.  Sbeesus is arguably our most improved player.  Not a time to expose or trade unless a value in return.

we all know what tanev brings.  His knock would be how prone to injury he is and whether or not his regular season form would translate to playoff form for this reason.

i see it as pretty much even on reasons against trading these guys but certainly cases could be made to trade either.

On 01/01/2017 at 4:35 AM, Derp... said:

We need to keep both and for that to happen we need to find a way to trade Tanev or, preferably, Edler. On the flip side of this, we're probably going to lose Granlund or Hansen... 

Edit: I have no idea why this ended up quoting something random, I blame mobile forums.  

27 minutes ago, riffraff said:

I don't see how it would be a slam dunk decision to hypothetically trade either of tanev, Edler, sbisa, GUD for the young Avs forwards.

in defence (no pun) of GUD, he is a young, character, rugged dman. He has obviously been playing through a significant injury; one requiring surgery.  Fair to say we haven't seen his best and at the same time, fair to say playing through something like that shows the character he is known for.

i suppose the negative agains GUD would be that JB needs to sign him although I don't see how GUD has any leverage at this point and no doubt wouldn't find much more of an offer elsewhere.

at the end of it all I would be shocked if JB traded or exposed GUD after one injury year considering the hype at the start of the year.

edler is Edler but he eats up minutes and has an ntc.

sbisa is showing signs of why JB signed him to that contract.  Sbeesus is arguably our most improved player.  Not a time to expose or trade unless a value in return.

we all know what tanev brings.  His knock would be how prone to injury he is and whether or not his regular season form would translate to playoff form for this reason.

i see it as pretty much even on reasons against trading these guys but certainly cases could be made to trade either.

My name is Phillip Blunt, and I approve of this message.

5 hours ago, apollo said:

Gudbranson + something for Landeskog or Duchene? 

At this point, you gotta keep edler, tanev, sbisa. 

If it's gudbranson your looking at a package such as guddy juoelvi first for one of those players.not sure if that would even get it done considering teams around the league can offer much more attractive packages 

2 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

If it's gudbranson your looking at a package such as guddy juoelvi first for one of those players.not sure if that would even get it done considering teams around the league can offer much more attractive packages 

Seriously?  You would give up Gudbranson + Juiolevi + our 2017 FIRST for Landeskog?  That seems like a HUGE overpayment, considering Larsen returned Hall.

On 1/1/2017 at 5:29 AM, Derp... said:

What if we can only get a 3rd rounder for him? is it worth it as we'll end up losing a different player? For example:

Trade Sbisa for a high 3rd rounder

Lose Granlund in the expansion

-2 NHL players for a 3rd round pick

Granlund > 3rd rounder for me.

I would say if we can get a high second for Sbisa or a late first then we could pull the trigger.

Next year we have if we lose Sbisa:

Baertschi Horvat Hansen

Sedin Sedin Rodin

Granlund Sutter Eriksson

Virtanen Gaunce Boeser

Dorsett Burr?

Edler Stecher

Hutton Tanev

Tryamkin Gudbranson

Pedan Subban

I'm not sure why folks think we'll lose Sbisa, other than trading him which makes no sense at all since he's a decent D already with room for growth plus why folks Subban is a shoe in to crack the line up when he has a lot of work to do to make the nhl and be consistant as well

Just now, iceman64 said:

I'm not sure why folks think we'll lose Sbisa, other than trading him which makes no sense at all since he's a decent D already with room for growth plus why folks Subban is a shoe in to crack the line up when he has a lot of work to do to make the nhl and be consistant as well

Because we will have to expose him, and he's pretty good, so Vegas will take him.  

Just now, Alflives said:

Because we will have to expose him, and he's pretty good, so Vegas will take him.  

well mr furball, your right as far as he's good but i doubt he'd be picked over a lot of other D in the league that are in a good development stage with a lower cap hit.

1 minute ago, iceman64 said:

well mr furball, your right as far as he's good but i doubt he'd be picked over a lot of other D in the league that are in a good development stage with a lower cap hit.

Vegas will need to get to the Cap floor, so a guy like Sbisa, who can play and gets paid a fair amount, might do them better than a cheaper option, like Granlund or Baer.  

Just now, Alflives said:

Seriously?  You would give up Gudbranson + Juiolevi + our 2017 FIRST for Landeskog?  That seems like a HUGE overpayment, considering Larsen returned Hall.

over payment??? Whoa...  if Benning did that we'd have every GM in the league ready to fleece us! 

Just now, Alflives said:

Vegas will need to get to the Cap floor, so a guy like Sbisa, who can play and gets paid a fair amount, might do them better than a cheaper option, like Granlund or Baer.  

Well usually i'd agree there but i bet that Vegas will spend right to the max cap primarily to try to have a form of entertainment that will bring in crowds sooner than later simply because it's Vegas where revenue would mean more than a cup.

2 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

Well usually i'd agree there but i bet that Vegas will spend right to the max cap primarily to try to have a form of entertainment that will bring in crowds sooner than later simply because it's Vegas where revenue would mean more than a cup.

Then wouldn't they choose our most expensive exposed player, and that would be Sbisa?  

Archived