LaBamba

[Article] How boring Canucks style could trick them into trade deadline mistakes

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, LaBamba said:

You ski, walk on the sea wall and hike at night? Do you mug people for a living? In Edmonton you can play hockey at an outdoor rink with beers and friends. You can go ice fishing for burbot at night, go for a night skidoo ride, got to the curling club, Go to the casino, strippers, you can go to an authentic Ukrainian restaurant. I would argue that there are more things to do in a winter climate in the winter than a rainy climate in the winter. 

Yes the trails are lit at Cypress. The sea wall has lights (cities have that now). And in the summer here you can hike after work, you know, the sun. Or in winter you can hike on snowshoes - again those new fangled lit trail thingies. 

 

Don't need strippers, my home cooking is great. I'll put those pirogies up against the ones they serve at the Ukranian Orthodox Cathedral on friday nights in Vancouver (honestly, its awesome and worth going (http://uocvancouver.com/about-us/friday-night-suppers/)

 

Thats great, it makes Edmonton a nice place for many people. It doesn't make it a better place than here in Vancouver or the people better fans. 

Edited by S'all Good Man

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, riffraff said:

Not trying to pick at you but imo the above are just excuses and poor ones at that.  I'll go so far as to say that if In fact those issues are solely responsible for his lacklustre success then it speaks to a gross miscalculation on JBs part as well as total mismanagement in wd's part.  In other words a complete cluster&^@#.

 

and I don't doubt for a second he was thrilled to sign a lucrative retirement contract in a great city no matter who his linemates were going to be.

Its OK, pick, I can take it. 

 

I might do a separate post detailing all of it, but there are real numbers to back up the reasons for Loui's Jekyll and Hyde season.  I was right about Sbisa when many were calling him crap too, so we'll see. Not sure it won't degrade into rudeness tho so i might take my time to put the numbers together. 

 

But I'll say this, he can be a great player with the right pairings, and if we move Burr at the TDL it would be very interesting to see Loui take that spot with Bo. If that happens I think we'll see more out of Loui. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, VanGnome said:

Win as a team, lose as a team, yes.

However when, actually you know what? I have better things to do.

 

Torts was the man, and had he stayed on and management listened to him, and ownership hadn't rejected what Benning and Linden probably first told them when they came on board we'd be in a far better situation than we are now.

C'est la vie.

Torts was the Man

 

Go Canucks Go

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think you'll have to worry about them hanging around a playoff spot any longer. There will be no mirage of how good they are and with their schedule over the next 2 months they should end up around 27th or 28th spot. If this organization is thinking their hiding anything or giving us fools gold they must really think we are dumber than a sack of hammers? As for them making trades they never really seem to come out on top anyway so there's nothing to really worry about?  lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

For sure, these are hard games to watch. Blow-ups are easier to understand and stomach in some ways, you don't have any expectations and are never let down. 

Agreed.  If I have r to watch my team struggle and lose, I would rather it be without trotting out the same old guard that are not part of the future.  More entertaining to watch a bunch of hungry, young, speedy guys giving it their all regardless of the short term results.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, S'all Good Man said:

Its OK, pick, I can take it. 

 

I might do a separate post detailing all of it, but there are real numbers to back up the reasons for Loui's Jekyll and Hyde season.  I was right about Sbisa when many were calling him crap too, so we'll see. Not sure it won't degrade into rudeness tho so i might take my time to put the numbers together. 

 

But I'll say this, he can be a great player with the right pairings, and if we move Burr at the TDL it would be very interesting to see Loui take that spot with Bo. If that happens I think we'll see more out of Loui. 

If you are right it will begin the question of why it took moving Buries for WD to give LE a shot with Bo.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

If you are right it will begin the question of why it took moving Buries for WD to give LE a shot with Bo.  

Well, it makes more sense than putting Loui on his off wing with Sutter and Granlund imo. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, S'all Good Man said:

Well, it makes more sense than putting Loui on his off wing with Sutter and Granlund imo. 

I think he's played his best hockey this season with Sutter and Granlund.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8.2.2017 at 0:58 AM, DIBdaQUIB said:

That's good but he isn't really wrong.  This is not a good team and the product is crap.  If it was improving, that would be one thing but after 2.5 years of WD and the "get younger and faster" regime, the team shows no sign of trending upward. 

 

 

It is improving vs. declining right now

 

- 2014/15 Was the last shot of the old core (and Sedins) backed up by rookie Bo Horvat and 4 solid lines with some depth.

This was actually a solid team and we should have made it to the 2nd round at least (we have passed the 2nd round just once during the Sedin era)

- 2015/16 Horvat, Baertschi, Hutton.. developing, some vets gone, Sedins slowing down  

- 2016/17 More youth developing well, Sedins slowing down even more

 

Future predictions and hopes

- 2017/18 New Coach, Edler taken by Vegas, youth keeps developing, bring in 1-2 rookies, Sedins are a huge liability at this point so probably no playoffs

- 2018/19 Bo takes C, bring in 1-2 rookies, sign a UFA forward (E.Kane?), 4 solid lines, D depth, Sedins retired

By this point the team will be as good as 2014/15 and will keep developing

 

So even though we cannot really see improvement now, it is there. The Sedins are on the ice for a goal against in every single game now and are not 

producing anything offensively while still taking the PP time away from the young guys and they (Bo, Sven, Granny, Sutter,...)still manage to win some

games on their own. Sedins are starting to become the problem of this team.. 

I have watched a game of the 2015 playoff series vs. Calgary recently and then watched a game from this season.. Then I watched a game from 2011.

If you take a look at the Sedins over these years you can see the decline so badly... Even compared to 2015 they are so slow now.. not only the skating

but also mental awareness...

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Nathancanuck said:

It is improving vs. declining right now

 

- 2014/15 Was the last shot of the old core (and Sedins) backed up by rookie Bo Horvat and 4 solid lines with some depth.

This was actually a solid team and we should have made it to the 2nd round at least (we have passed the 2nd round just once during the Sedin era)

- 2015/16 Horvat, Baertschi, Hutton.. developing, some vets gone, Sedins slowing down  

- 2016/17 More youth developing well, Sedins slowing down even more

 

Future predictions and hopes

- 2017/18 New Coach, Edler taken by Vegas, youth keeps developing, bring in 1-2 rookies, Sedins are a huge liability at this point so probably no playoffs

- 2018/19 Bo takes C, bring in 1-2 rookies, sign a UFA forward (E.Kane?), 4 solid lines, D depth, Sedins retired

By this point the team will be as good as 2014/15 and will keep developing

 

So even though we cannot really see improvement now, it is there. The Sedins are on the ice for a goal against in every single game now and are not 

producing anything offensively while still taking the PP time away from the young guys and they (Bo, Sven, Granny, Sutter,...)still manage to win some

games on their own. Sedins are starting to become the problem of this team.. 

I have watched a game of the 2015 playoff series vs. Calgary recently and then watched a game from this season.. Then I watched a game from 2011.

If you take a look at the Sedins over these years you can see the decline so badly... Even compared to 2015 they are so slow now.. not only the skating

but also mental awareness...

 

 

 

When you spend the majority of your NHL career absorbing hit after hit after hit because your skill and on ice vision makes you a constant target, and you do nothing to stand up for yourself, and have little to no pushback to help protect your ass, this type of physical decline will occur.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

When you spend the majority of your NHL career absorbing hit after hit after hit because your skill and on ice vision makes you a constant target, and you do nothing to stand up for yourself, and have little to no pushback to help protect your ass, this type of physical decline will occur.

True and I don't blame them for that, I got big respect for the Sedins!

 

Love that Louie pic btw

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, stawns said:

I think he's played his best hockey this season with Sutter and Granlund.

Not if you check the actual stats. 1/2 his points have come with the twins, and the rest on Wille's line blender. The GA/60 when Willie had him with Granny and Chaput were horrendous.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/7/2017 at 6:12 PM, Alflives said:

Of course that is what we should be doing, but will we actually go ahead and properly rebuild?  I really don't think our owner will allow it.

The owners are literal retards.

 

But I'm actually impressed with Jim Benning, somewhat. He's following his marching orders to 'win now', but quietly making sure we have some good prospects going forward. If Virtanen can get his $&!# together, and Brock Boeser joins the team soon, we should have a decent first line centred by Horvat and a good second line centred by Sutter. I can see us re-signing Alex Burrows as a depth forward, and getting good value for him. The Sedins may even re-sign for less money if they don't retire (which I think they might).

 

However, the Eriksson and Dorsett signings are really concering... that's 8.5M in salary cap space eaten up by two players that aren't really contributing a whole lot to wins, and we're stuck with them for a long time. Eriksson shows flashes of why we signed him, but it doesn't justify 6M in salary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Matt_T83 said:

The owners are literal retards.

 

But I'm actually impressed with Jim Benning, somewhat. He's following his marching orders to 'win now', but quietly making sure we have some good prospects going forward. If Virtanen can get his $&!# together, and Brock Boeser joins the team soon, we should have a decent first line centred by Horvat and a good second line centred by Sutter. I can see us re-signing Alex Burrows as a depth forward, and getting good value for him. The Sedins may even re-sign for less money if they don't retire (which I think they might).

 

However, the Eriksson and Dorsett signings are really concering... that's 8.5M in salary cap space eaten up by two players that aren't really contributing a whole lot to wins, and we're stuck with them for a long time. Eriksson shows flashes of why we signed him, but it doesn't justify 6M in salary.

Yup, agreed.  I am concerned though that JB's new roster will only be (at best) average:(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/02/2017 at 3:39 PM, S'all Good Man said:

WTF Alf? This is what 1/2 our lineup could very easily end up looking like next year (ages next season). That sure looks like a youth movement to me. And thats not couting a potential high draft pick, college free agent,  or another trade. You think Bo's "wasted" when the rebuild is more than 1/2 the team next year?

 

Baer (25) - 2nd/3rd line winger

Boeser (20) - unknown 

Boucher (23) - AHL/waiver fodder

Gaunce (23) - AHL/waiver fodder

Granlund (24) - 3rd liner

Virtanen (21) - bust

Gudbranson (25) - #5 dman

Hutton (23) - #4 - #5 d-man

Stecher (23) - top 4 upside

Tryamkin (23) - top 4 upside

Juolevi (20) - unknown

  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Patrick Kane said:

Baer (25) - 2nd/3rd line winger

Boeser (20) - unknown 

Boucher (23) - AHL/waiver fodder

Gaunce (23) - AHL/waiver fodder

Granlund (24) - 3rd liner

Virtanen (21) - bust

Gudbranson (25) - #5 dman

Hutton (23) - #4 - #5 d-man

Stecher (23) - top 4 upside

Tryamkin (23) - top 4 upside

Juolevi (20) - unknown

Thanks for proving my point about the losers who follow this team but really love Chicago. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Thanks for proving my point about the losers who follow this team but really love Chicago. 

Insult me, but don't bother trying to refute or debate the claims I made. Classic.

Edited by Patrick Kane

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Patrick Kane said:

Insult me, but don't bother trying to refute or debate the claims I made. Classic.

Go away Chicago troll. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Patrick Kane said:

Baer (25) - 2nd/3rd line winger

Boeser (20) - unknown 

Boucher (23) - AHL/waiver fodder

Gaunce (23) - AHL/waiver fodder

Granlund (24) - 3rd liner

Virtanen (21) - bust

Gudbranson (25) - #5 dman

Hutton (23) - #4 - #5 d-man

Stecher (23) - top 4 upside

Tryamkin (23) - top 4 upside

Juolevi (20) - unknown

 

I would say that Baer is clearly developing into a legit second line player. He's only 24 and still has room to grow. 

 

You are right about some of those guys, but wrong about:

 

Virtanen - not a bust, just taking a long time to develop. Bertuzzi wasn't a good player right away. He took 6 full pro years before he broke out with 50 points in 80 games during the 1999-2000 season. Virtanen is a power forward and won't hit his stride for another 2-3 years. We just need to accept that.

 

Hutton will be a 2nd pairing D-man, for sure.

 

Tryamkin will be a 1st pairing D-man, and our version of Zdeno Chara.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Matt_T83 said:

 

I would say that Baer is clearly developing into a legit second line player. He's only 24 and still has room to grow. 

 

You are right about some of those guys, but wrong about:

 

Virtanen - not a bust, just taking a long time to develop. Bertuzzi wasn't a good player right away. He took 6 full pro years before he broke out with 50 points in 80 games during the 1999-2000 season. Virtanen is a power forward and won't hit his stride for another 2-3 years. We just need to accept that.

 

Hutton will be a 2nd pairing D-man, for sure.

 

Tryamkin will be a 1st pairing D-man, and our version of Zdeno Chara.

RE: Virtanen - Stop using Bertuzzi comparisons. No one will ever be like Todd Bertuzzi ever again. There hasn't been a player like him since.

 

For every Todd Bertuzzi, there are 100's of Zack Kassians, Kyle Beaches and Jake Virtanens.

 

RE: Hutton - I said #4, which is a 2nd pairing D-man, I'd peg him as a #5 at the moment.

 

RE: Tryamkin - That's a lofty projection. 2nd pairing is a much safer/likely outcome.

Edited by Patrick Kane

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.