The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Alex Burrows to Senators for Jonathan Dahlen

9 minutes ago, missioncanucksfan said:

Gosh with Burrs injury ailments, I'm not so sure his value would've been as high as it was now.

Hopefully your Miller to Ana pulls thru for a good return

Didn't end up in Anaheim, but considering what we'd get from them -- maybe a Kerdiles or pick at best? -- not gonna complain.  Yer off the hook, minister, now call Hansen's location ;)

6 minutes ago, apollo said:

Anyone saying Sens got fleeced has no clue what value Alex brings on and off the ice. 

Fair comment.

I think it's more a situation where the market just favoured us today (for a change). 

There was chatter a while back about a 3rd not being enough for Burrows and teams a possibly needing to offer a 2nd (IIRC it was that NYR beat writer guy whose name escapes me at the moment).

And it appears that a few teams were interested and it's very likely a competing team offered Jim a late 2nd. At which point, Ottawa would have needed to step up with a better offer, which they did in Dahlén.

Clearly, some of the GMs of playoff bound teams appreciate what Alex can provide (as they should if they know their business). And so the market dictated what it would cost for the team that wanted to do what was necessary to secure this asset today.

Not a "fleecing" per se but definitely full value on the return.

Just now, Hutton Wink said:

Didn't end up in Anaheim, but considering what we'd get from them -- maybe a Kerdiles or pick at best? -- not gonna complain.  Yer off the hook, minister, now call Hansen's location ;)

Yup, my guess was wrong. Never had OTT on the radar.

I've said I think Hansen is now either ANA with Miller or maybe to MTL with a d-men, maybe Edler retained.

16 minutes ago, appleboy said:

Benning said they have been watching him and that some of the areas of concern has improved. I take it from that that his skating has improved. They were interested in him at the draft so have scouted him.

If they truly did have their eye on him for a long time then I trust this trade has potential to be franchise defining and go down as one of the best in franchise history.

I dont believe saying  that potential is insanity @hearditall.

Canucks traded a 35 year  old 3rd liner for an A level prospect who isn't even 20 yet?

This trade has big potential for the Canucks.

2 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Fair comment.

I think it's more a situation where the market just favoured us today (for a change). 

There was chatter a while back about a 3rd not being enough for Burrows and teams a possibly needing to offer a 2nd (IIRC it was that NYR beat writer guy whose name escapes me at the moment).

And it appears that a few teams were interested and it's very likely a competing team offered Jim a late 2nd. At which point, Ottawa would have needed to step up with a better offer, which they did in Dahlén.

Clearly, some of the GMs of playoff bound teams appreciate what Alex can provide (as they should if they know their business). And so the market dictated what it would cost for the team that wanted to do what was necessary to secure this asset today.

Not a "fleecing" per se but definitely full value on the return.

Brooksie....Tort's man.

1 minute ago, Chip Kelly said:

If they truly did have their eye on him for a long time then I trust this trade has potential to be franchise defining and go down as one of the best in franchise history.

I dont believe saying  that potential is insanity @hearditall.

Canucks traded a 35 year  old 3rd liner for an A level prospect who isn't even 20 yet?

This trade has big potential for the Canucks.

All prospects are a crap shoot but this kid has a lot of potential. He also has proven nhl family DNA. Having a father who has played a 1000 nhl games can't hurt.

Just to compare:

Willie Nylander (May birthday)@ 17 years old in SWE 1 -   8 points in 18 games

David Pastrnak (May birthday) @ 17 years old in SWE 1 -  24 points in 36 games

Jonathan Dahlen (Dec birthday) @ 19 years old - 42 points in 44 games

Id say he's a step below the other two, but Dahelns current value is that of a mid - late 1st round pick imo, except he's further along in development.  Hopefully he comes to NA for training camp next season!

Excellent trade by Benning.  Slow clap and bravo!

Really interested to see what they are able to get for Hansen now!

Wish Burrows all the best, but dont see Ottawa as a contender.  The fact that they were willing to work an extension likely had a large impact in accepting a deal, and he gets to move close to his family out east...

Archived