The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Evaluating Willie Desjardins

buddyguy

1 hour ago, buddyguy said:

Willie has been our coach since 2014 and I thought it's time that we do an overall evaluation of this guy. Sure, he took us to the playoffs in 2015, but so what?

We took a major step back last season and now this season again, we've played our selves out of the playoff picture and have finally triggered a much needed rebuild.

My question is how do you guys rate Willie D's performance from a scale of 1 to 10 and why tf did you guys want him hired in the first place? I would've taken Lindy Ruff over this dude. He doesn't seem to trust the young guys, however, when your going through a transition/rebuild like the Canucks are, you have to let the young guys play.

When AV first came in, he was somewhat criticized for not playing our young players enough (Kesler hansen etc. at that time) however, AV was a smart dude and he knew how to play a guy to his strengths. Willie D doesn't seem to have a clue with what he's doing and I think it's time we get rid of him either now, or once the season is done. What are your thoughts?

Sometimes I wonder if this is less about WD and more about how Gen Y was raised; being given everything and the whole "participation trophies" thing.  Why should young guys be gifted playing time, power play time, offensive zone starts?  Why do you expect they should just be handed these?  Maybe they have to earn it?  Most of the people I've known who have been given everything turn out to be brats.  So many people expect our young guys to be given something without having to first earn it.  What about Bo Horvat?  He wasn't given anything and look how he's developing.  How about Yakupov and the majority of the Oilers lineup.  No vets around so they were given 1st line minutes, PP time.  How did that work out?

1 hour ago, Green Building said:

I'd like everybody who rips on WD for failing our youth movement to name all of our prospects/rookies/sophomores that he has coached, and explain how they're progressing thus far. I don't expect many answers.

what a broad statement you just made. 

You think willie is the one responsible for Horvats, Baer, Granlunds progression but actually it's the player that has made the difference through preseverence AND playing through the coaches biased view and usage of veterans over younger players EVEN when the numbers show that the vets are making just as many mistakes but they are not held accountable to the same degree.

The fact that there is such a big gap in accountability between the veterans who repeatedly make the same mistakes and the young players who need play, and  make mistakes to learn and develop is enough for us to see him detrimental to our youth and as  a  major cause of stagnation in their long term development.

this fact alone is enough to get his ass fired but somehow he's still employed and causing huge damage to our prospects by shattering their confidence  at a very delicate but enormously critical junction of their development.

10 minutes ago, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

You think willie is the one responsible for Horvats, Baer, Granlunds progression but actually it's the player that has made the difference through preseverence AND playing through the coaches biased view and usage of veterans over younger players EVEN when the numbers show that the vets are making just as many mistakes but they are not held accountable to the same degree.

The fact that there is such a big gap in accountability between the veterans who repeatedly make the same mistakes and the young players who need play, and  make mistakes to learn and develop is enough for us to see him detrimental to our youth and as  a  major cause of stagnation in their long term development.

this fact alone is enough to get his ass fired but somehow he's still employed and causing huge damage to our prospects by shattering their confidence  at a very delicate but enormously critical junction of their development.

Is there a reason why the three young topscorers never play together? Bear - Bo - Granlund should be the logical first line. Willie should try it for at least one single game.

1 hour ago, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

Yeah yeah yeah -  a typical kids argument made by someone who is forced to defend their bias.

The fact you think WD would be able to drop the Twins shows how naive you are. The fact you think ANY coach would judge vets on the same basis as a rookie shows how devoid of a clue you are.

4 hours ago, darkpoet said:

evaluation?

don't know about you, but generally, this is what happens when you disobey your boss

gIqusaeYxgSiY.gif

How has he disobeyed him and WHICH boss are you talking about.

Please quote the basis (accurately) for this piece of lynchmob buffoonery so we can all judge whether he has or hasn't. We won't hold our collective breaths.

It hasn't all been bad. Horvat has developed well under  Desjardins (or possibly in spite of him), as have Bear Cheese, Granlund, Stetcher, Tryamkin, and Hutton.

That being said, there have also been (relative) failures under his watch as well. Virtanen, Gaunce, McCann and Kenins have all flopped under Desjardin's watch.

So his track record with our young players, while decent, is far from perfect.

The less said about his player deployment the better. Benching an offensive prospect after scoring a goal in a 4-0 game (Shortening the bench in the first half of a back-to-back, I might add) is just ridiculous. Hopefully Benning gave him a call about that one.

Young guys excelling and playing the right way.

Team busting their asses for him - lots of comebacks, rare vacant performances.

Systems relatively tight, good luck pressure and support over 200.

M.A.S.H. and mumps unit and yet respectably competitive and flirting with .500 throughout the season.

But, but I think I know more about player deployment than dumb Willie.

Grade: 7.5

Willie stays. The most important things are progressing of the young players, consistent effort and a team game, all of which have been real good.

By that logic, criticizing anybody on the team, or in the NHL at all is completely unwarranted, as I'm pretty sure none of us have jobs in the NHL.

Ref makes a bad call? "I'd like to se you do better!"

Player gets called out on a mistake? "Well you try playing on an NHL team!"

GM gets criticized for a poor move? "Let's see your GM credentials!"

:rolleyes:

Willie is a decent coach but he obviously isn't perfect. I am concerned about some of his tendencies. 

1) He doesn't react and sticks to systems. If a PP or a line is stale and not working together, Willie won't change it up and try something new, look for a spark. Listening to yesterday's game you could see how that quality can bring some luck by looking at LA. The 4th line got a chance on the PP. You definitely need a balance but Willie is too stubborn.

2) Again. He sticks to his systems too much. If a new player doesn't know his system then he won't play. Again theres no catalyst, no spark. You can't develop a player like Boucher or Goldy unless they are there from the beginning. Systems can be countered or at least it feels that way.

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

By that logic, criticizing anybody on the team, or in the NHL at all is completely unwarranted, as I'm pretty sure none of us have jobs in the NHL.

Ref makes a bad call? "I'd like to se you do better!"

Player gets called out on a mistake? "Well you try playing on an NHL team!"

GM gets criticized for a poor move? "Let's see your GM credentials!"

:rolleyes:

This also goes for any team besides the Canucks. 

Would posters that think that having the job makes them beyond criticism walk away defeated if they used that argument to defend the likes of Lowe and Eakins?

What about Torts? He's still a coach in this NHL so I guess he's also infallible.

Or is it just working for the Canucks that gives you that distinction? 

4 hours ago, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

POST OF THE MONTH !

6 hours ago, Green Building said:

I'd like everybody who rips on WD for failing our youth movement to name all of our prospects/rookies/sophomores that he has coached, and explain how they're progressing thus far. I don't expect many answers.

Is Jake progressing? Is Boucher progressing?

the idiot would not even play Tram until JB forced him to 

the only people playing (and not progressing) are Chaput, Skille and Megna 

willie is far from a developmental coach 

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

Young guys excelling and playing the right way.

Team busting their asses for him - lots of comebacks, rare vacant performances.

Systems relatively tight, good luck pressure and support over 200.

M.A.S.H. and mumps unit and yet respectably competitive and flirting with .500 throughout the season.

But, but I think I know more about player deployment than dumb Willie.

Grade: 7.5

Willie stays. The most important things are progressing of the young players, consistent effort and a team game, all of which have been real good.

Thank goodness you are not the GM 

Enterianment value 0

upbeat 0

scoring 0

hitting 0

push back 0

Getting the most out of what he's got 2 

system 0

interviews 0

player deployment 2

effective in game adjustment 0

mustache 8

twiching 10

In game deer in headlights 10

dump 10

chase 10

Heavily Rely on goaltender 10

over play Larsen and megna 10

looking for a new job in the summer 10

5 hours ago, dura_mater said:

Sometimes I wonder if this is less about WD and more about how Gen Y was raised; being given everything and the whole "participation trophies" thing.  Why should young guys be gifted playing time, power play time, offensive zone starts?  Why do you expect they should just be handed these?  Maybe they have to earn it?  Most of the people I've known who have been given everything turn out to be brats.  So many people expect our young guys to be given something without having to first earn it.  What about Bo Horvat?  He wasn't given anything and look how he's developing.  How about Yakupov and the majority of the Oilers lineup.  No vets around so they were given 1st line minutes, PP time.  How did that work out?

In case you missed it, both Jim Benning and Trevor Linden said they want the young guys to get some ice time and see what they're capable of. See where they are in their development the last 20 games should be evaluating what you have for next season the Canucks are in no way a threat to make the playoffs and to keep rolling Megna and Chaput while Boucher sits in the stands the game after being first star and Goldobin is benched for cheating out of the zone early (a play which he scored the game winner on) is absolutely ridiculous. We don't need to evaluate Willy we already have learned he's unable to adjust to anything the other team does and he is not a part of the future of this team. I will be shocked and disheartened if he is back next year...

Willie certainly had his good points, which was evident 2 years ago back when we made the playoffs. His team has a very good structure, everyone is giving 100 percent and he was committed to rolling 4 lines. However, that playoff series against Calgary exposed some of his bad traits, and really it has been downhill since then. He is incredibly stubborn (as shown by that playoff series) even when something is obviously not working. He seems to gift offensive ice time to rather useless players offensively; last year it was Vey, this year it is Megna and to some extent Brandon Sutter.

He also has a huge reluctance against playing the young guys even if they're obviously some of the best on the team. When Horvat broke into the league he admitted he did not want to start the year with him, but after 9 games realized that Horvat was good enough for the NHL...so if he was GM, Horvat was back in the OHL that year. He played Virtanen with mostly plugs, which seriously limited his offensive abilities last year, as he is 100% a complimentary player rather than the one who drives the play (so you put him with 4th liners, he is going to play like a 4th liner). He also seems determined to coach the offensive flair out of anyone's game, for example, trying to start Horvat on the 4th line this year, scratching Baertschi multiple times during the year, benching Goldobin after cheating offensively to score a goal. 

Really I would say, for a developing team, Willie is doing more bad than good. You may point to the players that have come into their own under him as proof that he is a good development coach. But really, Baertschi mostly developed in Utica with Green, Stecher was good before he got here and same with Tryamkin. Hutton was also quite good before he ever got here. I would say that Horvat definitely developed well under Willie, however, it's been almost 3 seasons and Willie still hasn't realized that he is our best offensive player rather than some shutdown god.

2 hours ago, alfstonker said:

How has he disobeyed him and WHICH boss are you talking about.

Please quote the basis (accurately) for this piece of lynchmob buffoonery so we can all judge whether he has or hasn't. We won't hold our collective breaths.

Go back and watch JB's post trade deadline press conference. 

I know he uses really big words like "evaluate" and "develop" which you may need to lookup in a dictionary but hopefully you will get the general idea 

if not I can try and draw a picture of Goldy getting ice time for you 

Archived