The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Canucks interested in Darren Radysh

Meh when do these overagers ever work out?

College free agents have a better shot at success. They played with younger and older guys.

Overagers are the oldest guys on their teams and play good usually only because they are older.

Benning did say he wanted to find an offensive d man to qb the pp. 

I'm surprised they have all these links to d men. If they want more Offence from their d they should just bring Jordan Subban on the team next year.

4 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Golden Knights interested too? They have a lot more openings for him. :unsure: We have no chance. 

:bigblush: 

C'mon, who do u think he'll choose, an organization that will stink like sh!t for god knows how many years, or a chance to play in the playoffs in 2-3 years?

7 hours ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

As well, wouldn't signing Raddysh limit our ability to sign drafted guys like Neil/Olson? 

I think Chatfield has probably taken the Neil/Olson spot. Though Olson can play overage next year so we don't necessarily have to walk away from him completely just yet.

14 hours ago, Zoolander said:

Those are insane numbers this year from a defenceman. Fox was just dp'ing Connor when he played in Erie..

Come on... D raddysh is playing on an even more stacked eerie team 

14 hours ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

I'm kinda iffy about it. I mean we just signed a pair of overagers in Chatfield/McEwen, the former of which is a defenseman. We're losing the Aces next year, so I can't imagine that Utica can hold all of these overagers. As well, wouldn't signing Raddysh limit our ability to sign drafted guys like Neil/Olson? Keep in mind Brisebois can turn pro next season as well.

I guess a free prospect is a free prospect, but it's time to start weighing the opportunity cost in terms of contract numbers. 

Yes but suddenly these are "good problems" to have.

Start weaving them into trade packages to upgrade weaker positions

Just because Aces are moving doesn't mean there won't be access to an ECHL team.

McEneny spent time there and it did him fine.

Perhaps Olson can start there as well or the guy way out of favor with current management (Subban) can be traded, thus making room for Raddysh

McEneny-Raddysh

Brisbois-Neill

Chatfield-Utica signing

Wish Cederholm could be involved here

15 hours ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

I'm kinda iffy about it. I mean we just signed a pair of overagers in Chatfield/McEwen, the former of which is a defenseman. We're losing the Aces next year, so I can't imagine that Utica can hold all of these overagers. As well, wouldn't signing Raddysh limit our ability to sign drafted guys like Neil/Olson? Keep in mind Brisebois can turn pro next season as well.

I guess a free prospect is a free prospect, but it's time to start weighing the opportunity cost in terms of contract numbers. 

I don't see a scenario where the Canucks don't have an ECHL team next season. Management saw this coming with all of the picks they made that would be coming up at the same time and made the call to get the Aces. It's unfortunate that they had to fold, but I expect there to be another pro team that they will go after.

Having said that, I think you're right that there are 1 or 2 guys that they will choose not to sign. There is no way that they can keep all of the players that they are signing plus all of the players that are eligible to go pro next season. It also means they could ask players like Zhukenov to play their overage season, because there isn't room to sign them.

If they want more Offence from their d they should just bring Jordan Subban on the team next year.

Watch how badly Stecher gets pushed around out there.  And, we intentionally keep him away from the other team's bigger forwards.  Yet, whenever he comes up against one, they can literally just push him away.  With impunity.  Thank God Stecher has heart (and doesn't get injured easily).  Now, imagine what's going to happen in the playoffs, when he's going to be forced to defend against giant beasts parked in front of the net all game.  Giant beasts who can rough him up without ever taking a penalty.  It's not going to be pretty.

Now, imagine Subban in that spot.  He's smaller and weighs less.  Oh yeah, and Subban doesn't even try to play defense...

23 hours ago, JayCanuck10 said:

C'mon, who do u think he'll choose, an organization that will stink like sh!t for god knows how many years, or a chance to play in the playoffs in 2-3 years?

I pick Vancouver. Neither of those sound like Vancouver. They are playoff bound next year. Homer mode activated. B)

We should be interested. He's probably the best OHL overage free agent remaining out there this year.

I've posted his OHL Prospects (Brock Otten) profile a few times in various threads over the past several weeks, but once more shouldn't hurt. ;) 

2. Darren Raddysh - Defenseman - Erie Otters
Raddysh has been the model of consistency the last few years for Erie, playing a top 4 role for them and excelling at both ends of the ice. Over the course of the last four seasons, Raddysh is a combined +110. Defensively, he's been a rock since he entered the league, but his offensive game has hit a new level this year, as he's gained more confidence in his ability to lead the breakout and run the point on the powerplay. There's really nothing that he can't do. I think the main reason that team's have shied away from him thus far, despite good production, is the combination of average size (6'1, 200lbs) with average skating ability. He's certainly not a dynamic skater, which could prevent the offense from translating. But I think his defensive game is rock solid and should make him an valuable asset at the next level. He deserves an NHL deal.

http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2017/01/sunday-top-10-overagers-worth-signing.html?m=1

Should note that #1 on the above list (Ryan Mantha) already signed with Edmonton. Which would made Raddysh the new top OHL free agent.

And recent signee Chatfield also made Otten's original top-10 list.

Because the Canucks have yet to sign either Tate Olson or Carl Neill, my gut says we likely aren't going to sign Raddysh. Raddysh seems to be benefiting greatly from a red hot Eerie Otters team.

My feeling says that the Canucks will sign Olson and offer Neil a Utica deal with another team signing Raddysh. With Raddysh probably signing in Vegas.

On 25/03/2017 at 10:49 PM, coastal.view said:

maybe we could trade dane fox to the oilers for . um

eberle ? haha

i'm sure the Center would want to be reunited with his winger

:P

We already traded Fox. I believe the return was "future considerations".

On 3/26/2017 at 2:58 AM, Ossi Vaananen said:

IMO I think JB wants to fill Utica with guys who may not have reached their ceiling. There are too many players in Utica who will never make the grade now. He wants the Utica team to get younger with more potential for responding to coaching and therefor be able to come up when needed.

On 3/25/2017 at 6:58 PM, Ossi Vaananen said:

Aces folding doesn't mean we won't have an ECHL affiliation next year. I would imagine that the Canucks are already looking at doing something, either with a new team or an existing one.

Archived