The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Canucks interested in Darren Radysh

56 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

If we sign him think it means that we are serious about trading Tanev plus to get a player like a Nylander from the leafs or similar player

Hard to say how much of an NHL prospect he is at this point, probably in the same category as Neill and Olson, and below the likes of Brisebois.  The emergence of Tryamkin, Stecher, and McEneny as well as the improved play of Sbisa and drafting of Juolevi are more the keys to being able to move a dman for forward help.

1 hour ago, cripplereh said:

If we sign him think it means that we are serious about trading Tanev plus to get a player like a Nylander from the leafs or similar player

We'd have to add at this point considering he's top 4 in highly competetive year in rookie scoring. Something I'd still be open to. 

Canucks Army's Jeremy Davis offers a deeper dive into Vancouver's reported interest in Raddysh and why the Canucks should absolutely offer a contact to the OHL overager Dman: https://canucksarmy.com/2017/04/03/a-closer-look-at-chl-free-agent-darren-raddysh/

EDIT: aside from the usual CA stats discussion (pGPS, SEAL, etc), the article includes some good quotes from Brock Otten, who expands on some of scouting and analysis he's already posted on his blog (OHL Prospects).

Since some people don't seem to like the stats side of CA's articles, I figured I'd post the quotes from Otten (who watches a ton of hockey and is a great resource on OHL players):

Raddysh is an excellent two-way defender. He doesn’t possess elite athleticism or size, which is likely why he has never been drafted. His skating has improved a lot over the course of his OHL career, to the point of it being average now. His straight line speed and acceleration will never be elite, but he’s worked hard to improve his overall mobility to make himself one of the better defenders in the OHL. His gap control and defensive awareness is excellent and he plays with a lot of moxy, be it battling in the corners or putting his body on the line to block a shot. Offensively, he has one of the best stretch passes in the entire OHL and has fantastic vision. His ability to start the breakout is a major asset, as he’s always got his head up, looking to get the puck to Erie’s high powered, skilled forwards. Again, he’s not a dynamic skater and isn’t the type to be a major factor leading a rush deep into offensive territory. Instead, he uses his passing skills, vision, and intelligence to carve apart gaps in the defense. He excels as a powerplay QB for this reason as well.

I think he most definitely has a pro future. Is he a sure thing? Absolutely not. As mentioned, he doesn’t possess elite size or athleticism. But his mind is a major asset and his work ethic and willingness to improve has been evident throughout his OHL career. He’s definitely worthy of an NHL deal. If he continues to improve his skating and gets a bit stronger, I could easily see him developing into a #4-6 defender at the NHL level who can help run a secondary powerplay unit. Sort of like a Cody Franson type. Raddysh is very likely to be the winner of the Max Kaminsky trophy this year in the OHL (best defenseman). The last overage free agent to win the award was Jake Muzzin and he turned out alright for LA. So you never know.

Jeremy Davis, the same one moaning over the signings of Molino and McEwen, the latter upon whom the Canucks "threw away a contract".  At least he wasn't the one to call Horvat a third-line centre who might score in the 40s once or twice.

Hindsight is a funny thing. At the time, Rhys’ analysis appeared entirely reasonable. Based on what we now know about draft analytics, there were legitimate reasons for Horvat’s selection to raise eyebrows. His pGPS% of 27% was on the low side for what we’d expect from a 9th overall pick, and Horvat’s successful matches averaged roughly .36 points per game. Even after he exploded in his d+1 year, those numbers only increased to 39% and .41 respectively, still low for a top-10 selection. 

Pretty funny -- admit they're wrong, but instead of throwing out or at least re-examining their model, they make excuses for it and are all puzzled.  Their model didn't even fix itself after Horvat proved it wrong, yet their faith remains.  But such it is when you only watch stat sheets and not actual games or players.  The Model is LORD and the rest of the world must be mistaken.  And yet the league is hiring these guys? 

Considering Florida hired Jessop despite that Horvat piece, hopefully Benning can get in and rob them of some good young talent before they wake up and fire him.

On 28/03/2017 at 2:56 PM, cripplereh said:

Just throwing this out there... Would a Tanny for RHN deal make sense in the same breadth of the Hall/Larsson deal?

Would Canucks need to add a good pick or decent prospect to sweeten the deal?

2 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

Just throwing this out there... Would a Tanny for RHN deal make sense in the same breadth of the Hall/Larsson deal?

Would Canucks need to add a good pick or decent prospect to sweeten the deal?

Already sweeter than marzipan soaked in maple syrup.  NO to helping out Edmonton, let alone giving them more.  Last thing we need is another underproducing smallish forward, let alone one making $6mil.

1 minute ago, Hutton Wink said:

Already sweeter than marzipan soaked in maple syrup.  NO to helping out Edmonton, let alone giving them more.  Last thing we need is another underproducing smallish forward, let alone one making $6mil.

He might be a decent reclamation project as a second line playmaking center. The Canucks are eyeing up Mittelstadt so I guess they will try to draft him. Tanev though I think is the Canucks best trade bait until his NTC kicks in this summer.

1 minute ago, morrissex95 said:

Toronto won't trade Nylander. 

Vancouver won't trade Burrows

Pittsburgh wont trade Sutter

Nashville won't trade Weber 

Nashville wont trade Jones

Toronto won't trade Kessel/Phaneuf/Clarkson 

Just saying

Just now, Warhippy said:

Vancouver won't trade Burrows

Pittsburgh wont trade Sutter

Nashville won't trade Weber 

Nashville wont trade Jones

Toronto won't trade Kessel/Phaneuf/Clarkson 

Just saying

All of those are completely different situations. 

1. Burrows was on an expiring contract

2. Sutter was costing the Pens too much money

3. Weber was too old

4. Nashville already had Weber on the right side back then. Now they have Subban. Jones was a surplus player. They landed their first #1 center in franchise history with that move. 

5. Kessel and Phaneuf were moved as part of the dismantling of the sh*t core that Nonis and Burke built for the Leafs. So was Clarkson. The Leafs were lucky they got rid of all three of those guys. Kessel went on to win the Stanley Cup and Phaneuf is having a good year in Ottawa, but still. 

Nylander is on an ELC. Nylander is one of the Leafs top scorers. He's only 20 years old. No way the Leafs trade Nylander under any circumstances. He's their future along with Marner and Matthews. 

When I look at the Canucks most glaring holes Top 6 Playmaking center tips the list,followed by OFD man who can QB the pp, then comes adding some size and finally general depth.

The reason I think Nugent Hopkins could be a good back up plan if the Canucks miss out on Mittelstadt.

The Canucks have found success with Granlund and Baertschi who found their form with a change of scenery.

RNH is soft and has a big price tag. So does Louis Ericsson though.

Nugent Hopkins at the very least is a proven playmaking point producing 2nd line center.

From what I read, he is really good at threading the needle with the puck to get outside the defensive zone, same as on the PP.  When he went undrafted the 1st year he was efficient defensively but didn't have good wheels, still somewhat average, and this is what held him back.  Playing with some elite talent over the years, he has grown offensively, not just along for the ride.  If he signs with the Canucks, he can play in Utica and be a great callup who may make the jump, you never know.

1 hour ago, Chip Kelly said:

When I look at the Canucks most glaring holes Top 6 Playmaking center tips the list,followed by OFD man who can QB the pp, then comes adding some size and finally general depth.

The reason I think Nugent Hopkins could be a good back up plan if the Canucks miss out on Mittelstadt.

The Canucks have found success with Granlund and Baertschi who found their form with a change of scenery.

RNH is soft and has a big price tag. So does Louis Ericsson though.

Nugent Hopkins at the very least is a proven playmaking point producing 2nd line center.

If we miss out on one of Mittestadt, Vilardi, Hischier or Patrick we wait till next years draft for a new guy and draft Liljegren this year. That simple. RNH isn't what the doctor ordered for this team. 

2 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

He might be a decent reclamation project as a second line playmaking center. The Canucks are eyeing up Mittelstadt so I guess they will try to draft him. Tanev though I think is the Canucks best trade bait until his NTC kicks in this summer.

Trade arguably our best defenceman and valued trade asset for a 23-year-old $6mil reclamation project?

14 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Trade arguably our best defenceman and valued trade asset for a 23-year-old $6mil reclamation project?

And on the other hand, does Edmonton want another deal mirroring the Larsson deal?  Is another shutdown top 4 RHD what they're in the market for?  I think they're looking more along the PMD lines.

And in addition, there are more than a few good playmaking centers in this draft - even beyond the top 3/4 spots - beyond Mittelstadt and Vilardi there are still some playmakers that could go in the 5 to 8 spots.

9 minutes ago, oldnews said:

And on the other hand, does Edmonton want another deal mirroring the Larsson deal?  Is another shutdown top 4 RHD what they're in the market for?  I think they're looking more along the PMD lines.

And in addition, there are more than a few good playmaking centers in this draft - even beyond the top 3/4 spots - beyond Mittelstadt and Vilardi there are still some playmakers that could go in the 5 to 8 spots.

Glass, Necas, Pettersson...

Archived