The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Next Season's To-Do List? (3 Things)

Nuxfanabroad

6 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I think Green will be an excellent coach for the Canucks. I can see him doing things a hell of a lot different and far more constructively than Wilbrod did. So glad that he's gone. I don't see any players questioning their deployment or place on the team under Green.

I have a feeling that the Canucks won't suffer the same fate at the lottery this Saturday, and I think that Benning will do a great job at the draft.

Hopefully, he looks at the composition of the team thoroughly and sees the need for more durable, aggressive players to be acquired and inserted into the lineup.

It's time to move away from the Sedins/Edler style of leadership, where the cheek is turned. That doesn't work, and was proven again last year to be an aspect of the game that affected how the rookies played.

Once Gudbranson and Dorsett were out of the lineup, teams did what they felt necessary to get the Canucks off their game, and lo and behold, it worked...again. There needs to be veteran leadership on the forward corps that has the want and ability to stand up for the team. The mental fragility that has been part and parcel of the team since Game 7 needs to gutted.

The skilled players that will be worked into the lineup in the next few years need to feel that they don't have a bullseye on their back when they're on the ice.

Nice one, PB!

• 11 months later...
On ‎2017‎年‎4‎月‎10‎日 at 12:13 AM, IBatch said:

1. Split the twins. Or at least move them down a line and reduce their minutes.

2. Don't sign any UFAs.  Sign our guys first.

3. Pick Hirsclier over Patrick if given the chance and play the kids.

Sorry to pick on your post, IBatch(so random, eh?!)..but I love looking at old threads, to see what we were all thinkin', way back when?...

1- I kept sayin this for aeons man!

2- We signed LOTS! I guess could be argued it was relatively fruitful? Shoulda' been more GRIT signed!

3- Hirscher sure looks better than NP, at this point.

On ‎2017‎年‎4‎月‎9‎日 at 10:57 PM, canuck2288 said:

I would like to see:

- improvement in our special teams under the new coach. This is a must if our roster is weak 

- better in game management. We need to get back to line matchups instead a pure rolling 4 lines. Need greater focus on offence vs a pure trap defence first environment

- we need more accountability regardless of whether it's a vet , farm plug or a rookie 

Those first 2 I'd say you got a pretty nice taste of!

On ‎2017‎年‎4‎月‎10‎日 at 1:38 AM, DSVII said:

Same.

To OPs other point.  I don't think injuries will be any less of an issue. The training staff needs a review /overhaul. Leading the league this year in man game's lost and near the top last year as well in that stat isn't acceptable

Yes indeed..they struck again!

i'ld like the canucks to hire paul reinhart to teach the players, how to pass and receive a pass. tired of watching so many picked off passes; passes behind or into the skates of their players.

i'ld like the defence to learn to angle the forward into the boards, so the play ends. 

i'ld like to see better positional play. other teams play excellent positional hockey. why can't we. 

how often do the forwards clear the zone, leaving their defensemen with no one to pass the puck to.?

i'ld like to see us win more puck battles. especially in our own end. 

maybe a little more creativity with the puck in the ozone. 

i'ld like each line to have a scorer, playmaker and a gritty guy on them. 

don't rush the young guys to play before they are ready. my rule of thumb is, do what is best for the player and the team before what the fans want to happen. 

7 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Sorry to pick on your post, IBatch(so random, eh?!)..but I love looking at old threads, to see what we were all thinkin', way back when?...

1- I kept sayin this for aeons man!

2- We signed LOTS! I guess could be argued it was relatively fruitful? Shoulda' been more GRIT signed!

3- Hirscher sure looks better than NP, at this point.

Well I think this year it should be:

1a.  Resign Twins for one year for reasonable contracts, let them play together, no point at this time to split them, end career Canucks

Or

1b. Don't resign them.  Celebrations opening night etc.

2.  To clarify, don't sign any expensive UFAs with term (overpay for blue chip players)

3. Dahlin, Svecknikov, Zadina, BT, Bouchard/Boqvist in that order with what's available

4. Play the kids (Gaudette, Juolevi, Pettersson, maybe Dahlen)

5. Sink or paddle, maybe swim

6. End of season pitch for OEL, Karlsson if they are available

3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

1a.  Resign Twins for one year for reasonable contracts, let them play together, no point at this time to split them, end career Canucks

Or

2.  To clarify, don't sign any expensive UFAs with term (overpay for blue chip players)

3. Dahlin, Svecknikov, Zadina, BT, Bouchard/Boqvist in that order with what's available

Isn’t Doughty coming up as a UFA too?  I’d rather have him.  

4 hours ago, smithers joe said:

i'ld like the canucks to hire paul reinhart to teach the players, how to pass and receive a pass. tired of watching so many picked off passes; passes behind or into the skates of their players.

i'ld like the defence to learn to angle the forward into the boards, so the play ends. 

i'ld like to see better positional play. other teams play excellent positional hockey. why can't we. 

how often do the forwards clear the zone, leaving their defensemen with no one to pass the puck to.?

i'ld like to see us win more puck battles. especially in our own end. 

maybe a little more creativity with the puck in the ozone. 

i'ld like each line to have a scorer, playmaker and a gritty guy on them. 

don't rush the young guys to play before they are ready. my rule of thumb is, do what is best for the player and the team before what the fans want to happen. 

Bouchard is the best passer in the draft according to several scouts (which says a lot given the guys coming up this year) can run the PP etc, plays excellent positional hockey....sounds like he could help out too.  Agree rushing is a risky proposition (JV, though he's figuring things out).  But if they are better than who's on the roster they deserve their shot too. 

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Or

Too tired to analyze these things deeply(siesta time!)..the plus is that I think last off-season was more complex/uncertain. With JB signed & most everyone on board with TG, they've got the backing/certainty to set a firm plan & stick with it.

4 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Too tired to analyze these things deeply(siesta time!)..the plus is that I think last off-season was more complex/uncertain. With JB signed & most everyone on board with TG, they've got the backing/certainty to set a firm plan & stick with it.

There is a plan and they're sticking with it.  It's not that firm because you never know what opportunities come up (eg Pouliot).

1 hour ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Siesta time is important! Enjoy

On 09/04/2017 at 2:58 PM, You Mad Bro? said:

Get Edler to pass the puck to Brock on the PP. So annoying watching that fart muncher 

Yeah so all the opposition need to do is close his lane and we are f---d.

Thank goodness Edler has the sense you seem to lack. Stick to your day job.

Archived