The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Next Season's To-Do List? (3 Things)

Nuxfanabroad

Just now, Baggins said:

Not in my experience. Sounds rather childish to me to be honest.

have you read my posts? 

so you prefer to have 1/3 of Rogers full of noobs with Hawks jerseys? Man thats so fun. 

Just now, S'all Good Man said:

have you read my posts? 

so you prefer to have 1/3 of Rogers full of noobs with Hawks jerseys? Man thats so fun. 

Well if our fans actually supported the team perhaps those tickets wouldn't available to so many Hawks fans. If Chi-fans are willing to pay for the tickets more power to them.

1 hour ago, Crabcakes said:
  1. Hire a coach
  2. Draft a replacement for Hank
  3. Sign Bo, Tryamkin, Gudbranson
  4. Make a decision on Miller

Just leafs jerseys.  Better yet.  Taze them at the door.  They'll figure it out soon enough.  /JK

I think United Air Lines has a good system. Email them for details! :ph34r:

1 minute ago, Baggins said:

Well if our fans actually supported the team perhaps those tickets wouldn't available to so many Hawks fans. If Chi-fans are willing to pay for the tickets more power to them.

ownership has to start doing things to change the fan culture here. What you're suggesting is just more lameness. 

I'd love to see things like moving the Comets to east van to play at the Coluseum, so people in this town could grow up watching the prospects e.g., or many more things at Rogers to make the atmosphere a  lot more fun for Canucks fans and a little less comfortable for non-canucks fans (in a funny way, not dangerous). 

On 4/9/2017 at 11:34 AM, S'all Good Man said:

Injuries. Stubborn coaching. Bad coaching. A 4th line made up of PTOs and borderline AHLrs. I think that about covers it. 

So all we need are good players, no injuries, a good GM and a good coach and we'll unsink the Titanic. 

Just now, TimberWolf said:

So all we need are good players, no injuries, a good GM and a good coach and we'll unsink the Titanic. 

we have some good players, and a good GM. We'll be getting a better coach. With some injury "luck" yah we might be a bubble 2nd wildcard team if all goes well. 

1) JB HAS to get serious about finding a legitimate top-6 Centre to compliment Horvat, who should finally move into a full-time top-6 role as the team transitions away from the Sedins. That should be Job 1. And, if FA's aren't going to be the way to acquire that, then, it's time to start thinking about which of CDC's favourite sons will/should be used as trade bait to find it. Looking for that in the draft is one thing, but, is the next McDavid really out there this summer? I'm talking about an immediate high impact YOUNG player at that position. Other than Horvat, I don't believe there is one in the organisation who'd be able to step up and into that role next season. 

2) Gotta figure what the future holds for Subban. What the Canucks were expecting from Larsen this season - and WHY - I never understood. Seems to have been a wasted opportunity there. 

3) DO NOT re-sign Miller. If this team is going to stink for the next few seasons while they try to find their way, what use is an overpriced veteran goalie? What could he possibly add that Markstrom and an experienced inexpensive 1A/veteran backup combo can't? 

On 4/11/2017 at 0:10 PM, kingofsurrey said:

1) Make  HORVAT the Captain

2) Make  HORVAT the Captain

3) Make  HORVAT the Captain

Just no.

He will get it in time, no need to rush him. He is just starting to establish himself as a future first line player, a letter on his Jersey does nothing but puts a target on his back for the media and casual fans to go after him when things don't go well, which will probably be the standard for another year or two, things going wrong before they start going right again.

Let the Sedins take the heat when the team doesn't show up, that's what their paid to do, be the face of the Canucks until such time as a new core is ready to completely take over.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2017‎年‎4‎月‎9‎日 at 10:50 PM, Nuxfanabroad said:

Another thread got me thinking, what should be our main objectives/priorities next season? For the sake of(somewhat focused) discussion, let's agree on a few things:

- Willie will be shown the door

- We'll be healthier(perhaps around 200 man-games lost)

- We won't be PO-ready, yet in 2017~18(presumably finish bottom 25% of teams)

- Not signing any significant FA's to big bucks this summer(not over 3 mill, or so)

Here's a few steps I'd like to see...

1) More toughness inserted into lineup

2) Aim for more offensive contributions from the back end..(partly by trading for an offensive D, off-season)

3 ) More balance spread throughout lines. Try to roll all 4, more evenly

Obviously at 29th OA, there's a sh*tload of areas to improve upon..what would be your hopes for 3 areas they might first address?

Bump this cos' I'm lazy to type the same questions.

Would appreciate any keen fan-insight..Is Green the kind of coach to implement any of these 3 goals, specifically?

On ‎2017‎年‎4‎月‎10‎日 at 0:53 AM, Toyotasfan said:

CBC brought up that Travis Green's contract for Utica has not been renewed for next year, where as the Canucks recently renewed many of their trainers and scouts contracts. They speculate he's the replacement for W.D.

Good call. Was also on board with going Green..glad they're giving TG a shot.

1 Split the Sedin's on the PP units.

2 Find a shooter to take over for Edler on the first PP unit.

Try Boucher, JO, Subban, Goldy. ( And Please No More Tanev on the PP).

3.Design plays to get our defense in on the rush. (In particular Stech)

On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 9:41 AM, Ghostsof1915 said:

Sign Darren Archibald to a two way deal.

23 goals, 24 assists, in 75 games in the AHL. 

Would not be surprised to see that happen. Green said the movement between Utica and Vancouver would be regular. Sign Archi and when injury comes let him play a couple of games. Not sure about his skating. Not sure how many contracts will be available either.

I think Green will be an excellent coach for the Canucks. I can see him doing things a hell of a lot different and far more constructively than Wilbrod did. So glad that he's gone. I don't see any players questioning their deployment or place on the team under Green.

I have a feeling that the Canucks won't suffer the same fate at the lottery this Saturday, and I think that Benning will do a great job at the draft.

Hopefully, he looks at the composition of the team thoroughly and sees the need for more durable, aggressive players to be acquired and inserted into the lineup.

It's time to move away from the Sedins/Edler style of leadership, where the cheek is turned. That doesn't work, and was proven again last year to be an aspect of the game that affected how the rookies played.

Once Gudbranson and Dorsett were out of the lineup, teams did what they felt necessary to get the Canucks off their game, and lo and behold, it worked...again. There needs to be veteran leadership on the forward corps that has the want and ability to stand up for the team. The mental fragility that has been part and parcel of the team since Game 7 needs to gutted.

The skilled players that will be worked into the lineup in the next few years need to feel that they don't have a bullseye on their back when they're on the ice.

On 4/9/2017 at 7:50 AM, Nuxfanabroad said:

Another thread got me thinking, what should be our main objectives/priorities next season? For the sake of(somewhat focused) discussion, let's agree on a few things:

- Willie will be shown the door

- We'll be healthier(perhaps around 200 man-games lost)

- We won't be PO-ready, yet in 2017~18(presumably finish bottom 25% of teams)

- Not signing any significant FA's to big bucks this summer(not over 3 mill, or so)

Here's a few steps I'd like to see...

1) More toughness inserted into lineup

2) Aim for more offensive contributions from the back end..(partly by trading for an offensive D, off-season)

3 ) More balance spread throughout lines. Try to roll all 4, more evenly

Obviously at 29th OA, there's a sh*tload of areas to improve upon..what would be your hopes for 3 areas they might first address?

I don't like people using injuries as an excuse because with the Canucks injuries to key guys were fairly predictable.

Edler has missed at least 10% of the games in four of the past seven years. Tanev has NEVER played more than 85% percent of the teams games in a season. You know going in they are very likely to miss at the very least, 10-15 games. 

The other guys, ie Gudbranson, Baertschi, Granlund and Dorsett are all guys that the team should be okay without. they're all supporting type guys with Dorsett and Gudbranson being a fourthliner and a No. 5 defenceman. 

Hutton was about the only injury to a key guy that you couldn't see coming, that had an impact on the Canucks - And I'd even call that minimal. 

The reason the Canucks were a 29th place team wasn't injuries, but lack of production from nearly ever player on the roster. 

Archived