The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is there a future for the Sedins after their current contracts?

bohoforpresident

Naslunds last season in Vancouver before he was not resigned  he had   25 goals....

Hank  and Danny each   had 15 goals this year...

No disrespect to the great things H and D have achieved with our team.

BUT

Time to move on and let Bo take over the leadership of this club....

9 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Jumbo and Marleau are big, physical guys who can handle traffic and have some decent speed, especially Marleau. Their games are very different than the Sedins beyond all being good passers. Their play away from the puck and their intangibles separate them even further. The Sedins are too one dimensional to be a fair comparison, imo. 

Not disagreeing with you. I get it. I'm just seeing us getting really younger and looking at the Oilers as a young team without the older guys. Maybe it's time to commit to our youth in a similar way. But given where we are, a couple years out, keeping the Sedins as great 3rd liners makes sense. I do see them being effective from a buffer standpoint while utilizing them in the most effective way possible to their strengths even though they're aging.

In our own development timeline, we're kinda caught between commiting to youth and the Sedins being able to contribute in a lesser but highly effective one dimensional role. 

4 hours ago, canuckistani said:

These 37 year olds can still be quite effective in diminished role. Hockey doesn't always have to be the standard '1-2-3-4' line format. Sometimes, teams have won with effectively 2 second lines instead of 1 first line and 1 2nd line (in terms of points/pk, etc). 

Sedins are obviously not top line material anymore, but that doesn't mean they still can't school 2nd/3rd pairing defensemen and not drawing the top 2 checking lines either. 

Ofcourse they are going to need an anchor moving forward who is a defensively responsible player and that player most likely is Granlund. 

I'd be quite happy with a youngish top 2 lines, with some ELCs and bridge contracts on them (which is the most likely option too. For e.g., Bo is most likely getting in the 4.5-6m range, not more) and the Sedins-Granlund as our 3rd line. This also makes Sutter a 4C, which brings incredible depth to the lineup. Being truly able to roll 4 lines has a meta-value in itself that can't be ignored. Its also rare that we get such a chance very often, because it requires several good young players on the cusp, a few bargain priced players and a few vets taking pay-cuts as they diminish. 

For me, it's kinda like my last reply above. I'm not disagreeing. I get it. I think they can be really effective 3rd liners while our younger guys emerge. But when you look at the Oilers, they're all in on their youth without aging vets. We're seeing that all come together for them. But yet we're still a couple years away from more of our young guys truly emerging.

So, despite the age factor, we're still kinda in a hard place timing wise from a development standpoint. If we're not committing to youth 100% and extending the Sedins for a year or two, we at least should commit to utilizing them as 3rd liners where they'll be most effective. 

3 hours ago, Harvey Spector said:

Thornton is about twice the size of Hank and can handle the physical game. That's why a guy like Jagr has lasted so long. The Sedins are not physical at all. They cannot play on a third line with a combined cap hit of $9 million. It simply will not work. They don't even kill penalties so you will have players in the top 6 being tired out by having to kill penalties all game, a role that third liners usually play. 

Also Sutter is our third line centre. He plays that role as he should, killing penalties and playing hard checking other teams top lines. A role Hank cannot do. You'd basically screw up the whole system of the team by trying to fit two 38 year old players into roles they've never played before. 

In two years time I hope Virtanen is ready and Goldobin takes the next step. And we end up with a top line centre from this year's draft. And we could also trade a defenceman like Tanev for a top 6 forward. What I don't want to see two years from now is two 38 year old players trying to hang on and play on a third line making $9 million combined and not contributing at all to any typical third line duties. That would set us back years really. 

I'm talking more about age with the Sedins in relation to Thorton and Marleau. Obviously the former and latter are being utilized for their strengths but age is creeping on each of them. With us, though, we're still relying on the Sedins as top line players when it's obvious they need to be rested and can succeed more as role players. 

Given their inherent talent, I see them being truly effective as third liners where they'd excel because of their inherent talent. They started their careers moving from third liners, moving to second liners, and ultimately top line elite players. It took a long time for them to emerge into their elite potential to carry the team but they started as third liners.

Imo, we have to cut the cord on them being Top 6 and that system. Essentially, they'd bookend their careers where they started, which seems organic at this point. 

Also, early this past season, they even said they'd welcome the lesser roles. They wanted other young guys to step up and take over. 

The money and age issue, on the same page completely. 

I can only imagine how much slower the Sedins will be in 2018 compared to right now. Look at this year's playoff hockey and tell me the Sedins would even survive out there right now nevermind two years from now. It's just not gonna work. I'd rather develop the kids like Edmonton and Toronto and give BO the C.  

Every dog has their day. I don't recall any elite centres being moved to the third line when they were pushing 40. Maybe a Trottier or an Yzerman could do it, even a Fedorov. But you are talking players who had a good defensive two way game. Even a guy like Crosby wouldn't survive as a third liner at 38.  

I could see if their was only one of them, maybe an off chance you could hang to to one player at an advanced age, but being that there are two of them makes it that much more complicated. Having Sutter as your 4C doesn't make much sense either. Paying a guy $4.5 milllion to centre your 4th line doesn't make a lot of economical sense to me.  

Do Edmonton or Toronto even have a 38 year old player on their roster?  Don't think so.  I don't even think either team has a player over the age of 32 actually. 

OP could have probly been cut in half, but...

unless they completely dissapear next season they would be great 3rd line option. Imagine a cup run with Sedins playing a secondary role, against bottom pairing defence.... I think they could

light it up better than boninos line for pittsburghs cup win.

14 minutes ago, Harvey Spector said:

I can only imagine how much slower the Sedins will be in 2018 compared to right now. Look at this year's playoff hockey and tell me the Sedins would even survive out there right now nevermind two years from now. It's just not gonna work. I'd rather develop the kids like Edmonton and Toronto and give BO the C.  

Every dog has their day. I don't recall any elite centres being moved to the third line when they were pushing 40. Maybe a Trottier or an Yzerman could do it, even a Fedorov. But you are talking players who had a good defensive two way game. Even a guy like Crosby wouldn't survive as a third liner at 38.  

I could see if their was only one of them, maybe an off chance you could hang to to one player at an advanced age, but being that there are two of them makes it that much more complicated. Having Sutter as your 4C doesn't make much sense either. Paying a guy $4.5 milllion to centre your 4th line doesn't make a lot of economical sense to me.  

Do Edmonton or Toronto even have a 38 year old player on their roster?  Don't think so.  I don't even think either team has a player over the age of 32 actually. 

Why is Edmonton and Toronto suddenly the measuring stick? They made the playoffs, not won a cup.

26 minutes ago, Davathor said:

Why is Edmonton and Toronto suddenly the measuring stick? They made the playoffs, not won a cup.

Because they are the new breed moving forward. But to your point does Pittsburgh or Chicago have 38 year old players making $6 million a year on their 3rd lines who are primarily offensive players with no two way game?

9 hours ago, Harvey Spector said:

Because they are the new breed moving forward. But to your point does Pittsburgh or Chicago have 38 year old players making $6 million a year on their 3rd lines who are primarily offensive players with no two way game?

No but SJS and the Ducks do

10 hours ago, Harvey Spector said:

This.

watching the ducks flames sharks oilers series I can't imagine the sedins even out on the ice.  Too fast, too chippy, too physical.

sadly only bo horvat looks like a Canuck that could actually contribute in the post season right now.  The games are just so intense compared to the regular season.

29 minutes ago, Davathor said:

No but SJS and the Ducks do

Which player on the Ducks is 38 years old and plays on the third line?  Also you asked me about cup winners and you bring up SJS?  But again I'll play along.  Which player on the Sharks is 38 years old and plays on the third line?

I have nothing but admiration for the classy Sedins and the great careers they have had.  But when their contracts are done next year, I want to see them retire.  

IMO they will not be effective as 3rd liners and I'd rather see young prospects get the first and second line ice time.  The Canucks are in for a LONG rebuild and many years out of the playoffs.  Time to emphasize developing the young guys.    

Its sad to say but there are too many obstacles to overcome for the Sedins to succeed anymore in the NHL. The negatives outweigh the positives and its really time we give them an ultimate thank you and retire them with some dignity. Like a lot of professionals you have to basically tell them their done before they actually retire. This seems to be the case for the Twins. They actually think they have more to give when its obvious that window has pretty much closed. We are looking at mentoring and maybe some secondary offense which carries a price tag of 14 million. A steep price to pay for what you get in return.

If they really cared for this team they would try to get a return for themselves by seeking a trade and then retiring while they still have some dignity.

9 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Its sad to say but there are too many obstacles to overcome for the Sedins to succeed anymore in the NHL. The negatives outweigh the positives and its really time we give them an ultimate thank you and retire them with some dignity. Like a lot of professionals you have to basically tell them their done before they actually retire. This seems to be the case for the Twins. They actually think they have more to give when its obvious that window has pretty much closed. We are looking at mentoring and maybe some secondary offense which carries a price tag of 14 million. A steep price to pay for what you get in return.

If they really cared for this team they would try to get a return for themselves by seeking a trade and then retiring while they still have some dignity.

I think their final season next year will tell the tale. If they have the same type of year then I doubt they are resigned. This assumes that Horvat solidifies his claim to the #1 Line. If he does then he inherits prime TOI on the PP which the Twins have had. I simply do not see the Twins as 3rd Line players. I am assuming Benning drafts a 1C which could see that player in the NHL in 2018-19. If I have to pick a transition 2C or even 3C who do I go with Sutter or Hank? Sorry but I take Sutter.

Again, next year tells the tale. The Twins have shown resilience in the past. If they get a winger who can score consistently the team looks very different. Not sure if that would be the right move resigning them. Resigned on a 1 year deal with no NTC might be a option. Resigning with an ability to trade them at the TDL might be attractive.    

5 hours ago, Harvey Spector said:

Which player on the Ducks is 38 years old and plays on the third line?  Also you asked me about cup winners and you bring up SJS?  But again I'll play along.  Which player on the Sharks is 38 years old and plays on the third line?

Actually I didn't bring up cup winners, I just asked since when is Toronto and Edmonton (who haven't won a single playoff round) a measuring stick for us? Still not satisfied with your answer either. Chicago and Pitt are still the measuring sticks, you've just been watching too much TSN and bought into the hype. Here's another one, why would I need to ask you about cup winners? You may want to sit down to read this, but I don't know you and your opinion really doesn't matter to me 

2 minutes ago, Davathor said:

I hope more than anything they come back and pot 70+ points, prove everyone wrong one last time.

I hope that Horvat, Boeser, Hischier, Tryamkin, Hutton, Gudbranson, Stecher, Markstrom, Granlund, and more young players continue to grow as players and gel as a team.

Can't say that I'm too invested in Sedin point totals anymore.

Archived