The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is there a future for the Sedins after their current contracts?

bohoforpresident

42 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Climate change has gotta reduce this snowflake-metaphor to a tear on yer cheek. I'm weary of people hauling out this tired expression.

Would also argue 'Snowflakes' wanna hang on to that which makes them feel comfy/familiar.

Offer them off-ice opportunities, outa' respect. That's fine & dandy.

It's high time to start fresh with youthful-enthusiasm. 

OK snowflake

If they prove they still have value in the league after this year then sign them for 1 year at 2.5m and give them 3rd line minutes. If they can't take the pay cut and reduced roll then they're really just hurting the team, barring an unprecedented return to form. If you think 2.5 isn't enough for slow secondary scoring players that aren't gonna throw big hits or play scrappy then sorry I don't agree. 

Sedin - Sedin - Virtanen could be an effective third line to start the 2018 season but the top six needs to be rebuilt without the Sedins after the upcoming year. Hell, if we had the talent pool the top six should be rebuilt without them this year but unfortunately that's not the case. You can't blame the Sedins though, management should have had prospects ready to take their top line minutes years ago. In a perfect world the twins would have been anchoring the second line for the last two seasons and starting this season on the third. Too bad multiple short-sighted management groups forced them to carry the first line offensive duties for much longer than they should have. I'm fairly certain even the twins have stated something like they'd "love to see someone step up and take the top line minutes".

This is also another reason the Erikson singing was so awful. It wrongfully convinced everyone that the Sedins could finish their careers as first liners with the help of another aging Swede, who they had past success with. Clearly that didn't work, very ill-advised stop gap contract that will handcuff the team way past the Sedins retirement. Would have been much smarter to just admit the Sedins aren't first line players anymore, rebuild the first line quicker, and play the Sedins on the second line with a speedy prospect.

Oh well, I guess a small chance of achieving short term mediocrity is so tempting to our management that they would disregard the future.

In theory,veterans like the Sedins should be able to assist your up and coming players and mentor them until they are ready to take over, BUT , what exactly are the Sedins going to teach them? How to be ambassadors to the game or how to act OFF the ice? I think players like Bo know already how to do that.

So, are they going to teach are young players to play hard every shift and not hook a player cause your too lazy to take a couple of more strides? Maybe lay a big hit to get the team going?How bout, turn your game up in the playoffs and go "beast mode"? Probably not.

So what the Sedins bring to the table is "pure offense" and that is slowly but surely declining. They can't even do the decent thing and help your team accumulate prospects and maybe even chase a Cup like every Canadian Kid only dreams of doing. How about splitting up and playing on different lines to help out the team?

Like others have said, its time to change the "culture" of this team and that will only start when a new Captain is crowned. Until then, we wait until the 14 million contract runs out.

On 4/11/2017 at 10:00 PM, MJDDawg said:

Maybe. But I wonder if the next core can truly take over the team if the twins are still around. Same reason Chiarelli traded Hall.

I don't think you can compare generational talents and guys that have been here 10 years longer than Hall was in Edmonton... not to mention the difference in character. 

If they can still produce, they would be a great fit on 2nd or 3rd lines.

I still believe they sign insanely cheap contracts for 2-3 years to try and bring a cup here before they retire.

Both at 2M per. I know people will call me crazy but the only thing these guys want is a cup in Vancouver and I feel they will try and make that happen with a big hometown discount

40 minutes ago, Bitter Melon said:

The Sedins will have a future here for as long as they want to be here.

11 minutes ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

I agree and could see the nucks offer them 5M a piece on one year deals for as long as they wish to play. 

Really? I like them as people and have cheered for them to succeed since they got here but giving up $10M in cap space to them would

be grossly wasteful. 

I would be happy if this is their last NHL season and they sign with Modo for a year or two. They are done - there will be a dead cat bounce perhaps, but no bounce back season.

Just now, Salacious Crumb said:

Really? I like them as people and have cheered for them to succeed since they got here but giving up $10M in cap space to them would

be grossly wasteful. 

I would be happy if this is their last NHL season and they sign with Modo for a year or two. They are done - there will be a dead cat bounce perhaps, but no bounce back season.

I never said they should be signed for 5m each. I'm just saying if they want to keep playing I'm sure they'll stay with a reasonable contract.

4 hours ago, apollo said:

I don't think you can compare generational talents and guys that have been here 10 years longer than Hall was in Edmonton... not to mention the difference in character. 

If they can still produce, they would be a great fit on 2nd or 3rd lines.

They still may be able to produce but probably not on the PP. That one has been played to death. How bout PKers? Nope can't do that either. Those plus minus numbers were atrocious for them last year. Do you really think they can improve those from last year?

Much like Shane Doan, they WERE generational talents and now they are one step away from helping the team on the OTHER SIDE of the bench.

4 minutes ago, Bitter Melon said:

I never said they should be signed for 5m each. I'm just saying if they want to keep playing I'm sure they'll stay with a reasonable contract.

The real question is how many fans really want to watch them faulter their way into retirement. I would rather remember them as a "Great Canuck" rather than an old washed up has-been who would not go away. It was very painful to watch them be a shell of their old selves last year and I can't see this year being any different. If they get signed a contract extension I would have to change the channel every time they are on the ice until their shift is over. :lol:

1 minute ago, EdgarM said:

The real question is how many fans really want to watch them faulter their way into retirement. I would rather remember them as a "Great Canuck" rather than an old washed up has-been who would not go away. It was very painful to watch them be a shell of their old selves last year and I can't see this year being any different. If they get signed a contract extension I would have to change the channel every time they are on the ice until their shift is over. :lol:

I'm pretty sure the Sedins will know when their time has come and gone. They don't strike me as the kind of guys to be out there on the 3rd line in their 40s desperately chasing a Cup.

10 minutes ago, Bitter Melon said:

I'm pretty sure the Sedins will know when their time has come and gone. They don't strike me as the kind of guys to be out there on the 3rd line in their 40s desperately chasing a Cup.

Last year the PP was ineffective and at times the 2nd PP was doing a better job. Did the Sedins say we need to change things up? Nope

Their puck possession used to be their bread and butter and last year as soon as they lost possession the puck was in our end and they could not get it back, usually. Could they not see this? Their " I can't believe he made that pass" ability is no longer there and has not been for the past couple of years. Can they not see that?

Bo has been making leaps and bounds in progress since he broke into the NHL and has obviously exhibited great potential in leadership. Why hasn't Hank ,as the captain, noticed this and vied to put an "A" on him? Maybe he is a bit intimidated by Bo in overtaking "his" team.

I think they know its time to make that transition.

11 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Last year the PP was ineffective and at times the 2nd PP was doing a better job. Did the Sedins say we need to change things up? Nope

Their puck possession used to be their bread and butter and last year as soon as they lost possession the puck was in our end and they could not get it back, usually. Could they not see this? Their " I can't believe he made that pass" ability is no longer there and has not been for the past couple of years. Can they not see that?

Bo has been making leaps and bounds in progress since he broke into the NHL and has obviously exhibited great potential in leadership. Why hasn't Hank ,as the captain, noticed this and vied to put an "A" on him? Maybe he is a bit intimidated by Bo in overtaking "his" team.

I think they know its time to make that transition.

Whoops, I forgot you were privy to all team functions and knew everything the Sedins said and did behind closed doors.

18 minutes ago, Bitter Melon said:

Whoops, I forgot you were privy to all team functions and knew everything the Sedins said and did behind closed doors.

Just like your last statement was an assumption no one else can do the same as you? All of my examples were "On ice" observations and if I see them I am sure they can as well.

Archived