The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks name Travis Green new head coach

-Vintage Canuck-

43 minutes ago, Adarsh Sant said:

He did. He took a terrible roster and made it even more terrible.  Horrible deployment choices, stupid explanations, stupid standards.  Kept certain players off the lineup because they needed to learn the 'systems', but injected Drew Shore right into the lineup after coming from Switzerland.  That is just one example.

Drew Shore knew how to play, he was competitive and physical most nights. If he was not suitable for the team why did Benning make the signing and make him available? 

Your comment lacks knowledge and insight.

40 minutes ago, komodo0921 said:

One question I'd like to throw out there; Is Benning's tenure as GM hinging on Green's success or failure? And, other than Stanley Cup; What could be considered a successful debut season for Green?

Sorry, that's two questions.

I beileve the expectations will be set likely at the press conference at 11am.  they announce their coach and then the media will bombard them and him about that sort of stuff. 

I'm suspecting the goal will be player development 1st and striving to be a competitive team night in and night out.  they will probably say we'd like to make the playoffs but we understand growing young players may make that a challenge.  our goal is always to be competitive but we understand where we are at.

they won't answer any questions about projected points even though it will be asked. they will purposely keep things very vague so the fans understand it's about development.

that's my guess.

20 minutes ago, Hypocritical Cranium said:

I think Benning saved his job by firing Willie when it became obvious he was not on the same page as management. JB likely bought himself a few years. 3 and maybe 4. A success next year will likely be building a competitive culture again via a hardworking young team that will be exciting to watch but likely miss the playoffs (by quite a bit). I would say 75 points would be a successful point total for this transitioning team. It could easily be a 62 point team however. 

IMO, success next year involves a detailed evaluation of our young players and how they benefit our team.

JB's brought in a lot of youth but a clear definition of what kind of team he wants has yet to become clear. Some of our players are all offence, some of our players are all defence and some carry two Way abilities. Some are finesse, some are smashers and bashers. The Sedins are puck possession players where Horvat, Boeser and Sutter seem to thrive more on transition. 

My point is, Linden, Benning and Green need to give our young players the big minutes and figure out who stays and who goes. He's brought in a lot of young players and it's time to sort them out. Keep those that fit and use those that don't to bring in better fits for a chosen scheme. We don't have to make the playoffs next year but I would like to see a clearer identity, moving forward.

18 minutes ago, Hypocritical Cranium said:

If you have employess, do you usually fire them for doing things the right way? I do not. If Willie did his job he would not have been terminated 75% of the the way through his contract. Opinions are fine, but yours do not line up with management or ownership of the Vancouver Canucks or with about 85% of the fan base. I think Willie was given more time than he deserved. There were obvious times he was absolutely contradicting what management wanted. That is how you get fired. 

Travis will likely have learned from Willie's mistakes (and Torts as well) and play and develop the kids in their proper roles (not Dmen at forward in place of young forwards forced to sit) and he will likely allow them to make their mistakes and coach the quantity of the mistakes away. If not, I think it will be the end of JB and/or TL. I don't mind losing for 2 more years. I am more comfortable with my season tickets today than this time last year. 

Sorry but this is just another post which ignores context, injuries, players available and just about everything else. 

Willie was terminated because our management caved in to the media and the fans who gobbled the sh-t they pedalled like not was a chinese takeaway. At the very least, even to preserve their own position for longer they should have allowed the coach to see out his contract. They didn't and I hope for their sake that Green is the guy they hope he is, because if he isn't, they will be booted out along with Green in 2 years time.

2 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Sorry but this is just another post which ignores context, injuries, players available and just about everything else. 

Willie was terminated because our management caved in to the media and the fans who gobbled the sh-t they pedalled like not was a chinese takeaway. At the very least, even to preserve their own position for longer they should have allowed the coach to see out his contract. They didn't and I hope for their sake that Green is the guy they hope he is, because if he isn't, they will be booted out along with Green in 2 years time.

So you believe the media and fans controlled the firing of Willie? Is that a tinfoil hat on the character costume in your signature? Sorry, grown men making millions of dollars do not get controlled by guys like Botchford, Willes, Gallagher etc. As much as they may like to believe that, it doesn't happen. Willie went against managements decisions with regards to the line up and playing the kids. He ran with veterans and put them out of position (Biega) over younger guys. No systems, no structure and no plan. Just ride vets with as many minutes as possible and hope you get wins. 

The last time the Canucks hired their AHL coach to become their NHL coach we got Alain Vigneault.

One of the good side effects of this was that a few AHLers, who may have been forgotten about, were given a chance at the NHL level -- seized it -- and became full time NHLers. Those players included: Alex Burrows, Kevin Bieksa, Rick Rypien, and Jannik Hansen. Were they envitiablities? Maybe but there familiarity with Vigneault gave them an invaluable in.

With Green as the coach, what I'm excited for is the possibility of a few of the Utica guys coming up and getting shots with the Canucks who may not have gotten a legit shot with Desjardins. 

My bold prediction in the next two years is that we are going to see the NHL emergence of at least three of the following Utica Comets: Joseph Labate, Michael Carcone, Curtis Valk, Evan McEney, and/or Jordan Subban. I know Subban has been in Green's doghouse but there may be some trust with him and Green if he shows improvement in the summer. I do think Evan McEney could snag a bottom six role out of training camp and Labate or Carcone could snag a 4th line role out of training camp. Labate especially since he hits like a freight train. Carcone because he always seems to be where the puck is and isn't afraid to be agreesive with it.

Either way, that should excite people... Even if it's more mild right now.

I will say that I believe Willie is better than some give him credit for, and I believe part of the reason he was let go was because of pressure on the organization. This period is going to be taken as the true move and acknowledgement of a rebuild, and keeping the coach, rightly or wrong, doesn't fit that narrative. If he had been such a poor coach he wouldn't have garnered any attention when he was let go, but he has.

That isn't to say Willie was perfect. I believe that he was too unwilling to let younger players play through their mistakes and used the bench as a coaching tool instead of ice time. I think his stubbornness is part of the problem, but I also believe that he was given the mandate to win and that he played and benched certain players because he felt that they might make another mistake and put them farther behind the 8 ball in the game.

Willie was better when the talent level of the team was better and healthy, and really felt bad when the talent level and health tanked the past 2 seasons. He did a great job developing the kids, and got the most out of very limited players like Megna. That being said, it would have been preferable to watch a guy like Baertschi on the ice to score the tying or winning goal against Kane than Megna. I think Willie did what he thought was best to win, and that meant avoiding the mistakes the younger players might make. That fit the narrative that we were sold, being a competitive playoff capable team.

But this team wasn't that, we were not a playoff team. And if we're going to go in the new direction, we need a new coach. Green is seen as a players coach who gets the most out of the guys on the ice, and has a coaching style that gives guys more leash to work through their mistakes on the ice instead of on the bench. He's been through it all, and shares countless experiences with the guys in our lineup. My hope is that he can improve on Willie's defeciences and is more adaptable while maintaining that ability to develop our younger players and maximize our older ones. I hope the lines are more stable, and deployed more logically, and even if our structure isn't perfect, that we place the people physically capable of running that structure in a position to both makes plays and make mistakes, and that our coaching staff uses each of those instances as a learning moment.

I honestly hope Willie finds another job, I would actually be thrilled to see him in Utica, and that he ends up with an organization that is in complete harmony with where they're at and where they're going. He's a fantastic person, even if he's not Mike Babcock in terms of coaching. I'm thankful he handled his time her with grace and dignity and that he gave us some things to build on. We now have an organization that seems to be more at harmony with where we are at and where we are going, a situation he didn't walk into. I wish him the best, and am eager to see what Travis Green can do.

12 minutes ago, Hypocritical Cranium said:

So you believe the media and fans controlled the firing of Willie? Is that a tinfoil hat on the character costume in your signature? Sorry, grown men making millions of dollars do not get controlled by guys like Botchford, Willes, Gallagher etc. As much as they may like to believe that, it doesn't happen. Willie went against managements decisions with regards to the line up and playing the kids. He ran with veterans and put them out of position (Biega) over younger guys. No systems, no structure and no plan. Just ride vets with as many minutes as possible and hope you get wins. 

Beiga over young guys? what young guys. 

Willie was making progress with La Bate (a guy who I frankly, wondered about) and Benning took him away. 

Biega, let's see, was that the guy nicknamed bulldog because he never gave up, hit everything with a pulse, could actually play the wing position and also add defence while he was doing it? Jeez what an example to our youngsters, I wonder what Willie was thinking about.

As I say just more sheeplike opinions  which ignores context, injuries, players available and just about everything else. 

8 minutes ago, Quantum said:

The last time the Canucks hired their AHL coach to become their NHL coach we got Alain Vigneault.

One of the good side effects of this was that a few AHLers, who may have been forgotten about, were given a chance at the NHL level -- seized it -- and became full time NHLers. Those players included: Alex Burrows, Kevin Bieksa, Rick Rypien, and Jannik Hansen. Were they envitiablities? Maybe but there familiarity with Vigneault gave them an invaluable in.

With Green as the coach, what I'm excited for is the possibility of a few of the Utica guys coming up and getting shots with the Canucks who may not have gotten a legit shot with Desjardins. 

My bold prediction in the next two years is that we are going to see the NHL emergence of at least three of the following Utica Comets: Joseph Labate, Michael Carcone, Curtis Valk, Evan McEney, and/or Jordan Subban. I know Subban has been in Green's doghouse but there may be some trust with him and Green if he shows improvement in the summer. I do think Evan McEney could snag a bottom six role out of training camp and Labate or Carcone could snag a 4th line role out of training camp. Labate especially since he hits like a freight train. Carcone because he always seems to be where the puck is and isn't afraid to be agreesive with it.

Either way, that should excite people... Even if it's more mild right now.

Very good post. I'm very excited about the guys that Green got to work with in Utica, and his familiarity with their development and where they may or may not fit with the big club. I think it will lead to more success from our guys out of Utica initially.

4 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Willie was making progress with La Bate (a guy who I frankly, wondered about) and Benning took him away. 

Biega, let's see, was that the guy nicknamed bulldog because he never gave up, hit everything with a pulse, could actually play the wing position and also add defence while he was doing it? Jeez what an example to our youngsters, I wonder what Willie was thinking about.

As I say just more sheeplike opinions  which ignores context, injuries, players available and just about everything else. 

....,to play more meaningful games in Utica and make room for more offensive prospects in Goldy and boeser.

Just now, alfstonker said:

I will agree with this for sure. Biega wasn't a guy I liked to see on the ice from a talent stand point. He had the mental ability, but not the physical ability to be more than a guy you plug in for injuries and call up when needed. That being said he always gave it his all, and there is a lot to be learned from him.

I would also like to say that I believe management set us up to fail at times so they could sell the need for a rebuild. If LaBate stays in Vancouver and continues his slow development cycle then he could have pushed us up a few more wins, and may be the people pushing back on the rebuild remain adamant against it.

I do come up with a few theories that violate Occum's Razor, but I believe that Benning made subtle moves at times to keep the team from playing beyond expectations when he knew the writing was on the wall. He couldn't sabotage the team and risk his job, but he could do make subtle moves to not help them. And this is more of a theory I've basically come to by listening to Benning and watching his body language, he is more comfortable when he's talking about certain players compared to when he was talking about pushing for the playoffs. 

1 hour ago, steviewonder20 said:

Quite honestly, I don't think even Mike Babcock could bring this group to respectability. We simply don't have the talent to be competitive.

Anyone who expects this team to be competitive for atleast the next two seasons is being unrealistic.  I laugh whenever I come onto these boards and see people furious when we lose and start calling for management's heads.

We are rebuilding, adding young players, adding depth, we are still on the decline.  But I'm hoping after 2 years we start seeing this team back on the upswing. Patience is going to be needed from this fan base.  And asking this fan base to be patient is like trying to draw blood on a strip of beef jerky.

Just now, Madwolf said:

I will agree with this for sure. Biega wasn't a guy I liked to see on the ice from a talent stand point. He had the mental ability, but not the physical ability to be more than a guy you plug in for injuries and call up when needed. That being said he always gave it his all, and there is a lot to be learned from him.

I would also like to say that I believe management set us up to fail at times so they could sell the need for a rebuild. If LaBate stays in Vancouver and continues his slow development cycle then he could have pushed us up a few more wins, and may be the people pushing back on the rebuild remain adamant against it.

I do come up with a few theories that violate Occum's Razor, but I believe that Benning made subtle moves at times to keep the team from playing beyond expectations when he knew the writing was on the wall. He couldn't sabotage the team and risk his job, but he could do make subtle moves to not help them. And this is more of a theory I've basically come to by listening to Benning and watching his body language, he is more comfortable when he's talking about certain players compared to when he was talking about pushing for the playoffs. 

Say what? Biega may not be the biggest or most skilled guy on the ice but one thing he's never lacked is physicality.

Archived