The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018 NHL Entry Draft

Zfetch

3 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Shane Malloy from the Art of scouting was on the team 1040 yesterday, and he was being very critical of Boqvist. He threw out names like Oliver Klyington and DeAngelo when comparing him, which I thought was pretty harsh. He brought up that he dropped out of High School and was questioning his work ethic and ability to handle diversity.     

Not knowing the full context of Malloy's assessment, I'd totally disagree with Malloy's assessment.  I don't know Boqvist's Combine numbers by heart, but weren't they top notch compared to his peers which speaks for the kind of work ethic the kid has?

I also understand that Boqvist is dyslexic?  Does Malloy know how bad?  Cuz with the crazy hockey training and game participation involved in the sport, I can see school work as a major hurdle with a learning disability thrown in.  Trust me, it's not easy.

6 minutes ago, Sugar baby watermelon said:

I would love it if we got Tkachuk to be honest but Wahlstrom has such offensive upside, that would be like having 2 Boesers!!

For me just to watch him smash his big bro's face in a couple times a year then high five Juolevi would be worth it for me. 

18 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Shane Malloy from the Art of scouting was on the team 1040 yesterday, and he was being very critical of Boqvist. He threw out names like Oliver Klyington and DeAngelo when comparing him, which I thought was pretty harsh. He brought up that he dropped out of High School and was questioning his work ethic and ability to handle diversity.     

I'd love to be able to sit on the interviews.  A good place to gauge whether a players head is on straight...

The media reports, your quoting Shane aside, have been pretty positive about Boqvist. He also scored excessively high in some of the hardest physical tests at the combines. If he is among the 3 or 5 fittest, most explosive athletes of 104 tested? Or that he is so skilled, which some is natural, but a ton, including skating is time in drills, time on ice. Nothing there speaks to poor work ethic...

But who knows, maybe Shane knows something everyone else does not?

As per many years, a sudden rush on ''elite'' forward talent suddenly evident & projected into the top 10, top 5, just days before the draft! When even as games were finished they were not in the conversation... 

I think hordes of media & fans, even GM's get the jitters when D men are BPA?

1 hour ago, TJsoups said:

This would be my blog and I appreciate you sharing it and reading it with an open mind!  I don't expect to change minds or many people to agree with it, just simply where I'm coming from on those two players.  For the record, I've got my latest and final top 75 prospects list out this morning, and a final mock draft coming out tomorrow morning if any of you would like to check it out!  Always appreciate the feedback, even if negative, I just ask that its respectful.

Anti Russian, that's why I loved both Provorov and Sergachev in their drafts?  That's why Ovy is one of my favourite players, and I sung the praises of Kuznetsov all playoff long?  Its not my fault that Russian forwards are being poorly evaluated in the draft.  Since 2004 (Ovy/Malkin), 0 for 6 in the top 15, 3 for 13 in the first round.  That's alarming for kids being drafted that high.  Not once did I say anything about not drafting them, I just would be leery of drafting them too high...much the same as I'd be leery of drafting a goaltender too high.  Does that make me anti goaltender?

The term "pure playmaker" doesn't mean they can't shoot the puck or score goals.  When I say that, I mean these are pass first guys and they're all terrific at it.  Yes, they can score.  I never once said they can't score goals.

I would say, I agree with most of the players in your tier ranking. 

I would probably switch Farabee and Noel and have Farabee in the second tier group. I really like Farabee's competitiveness, plus being one of the best skaters in the draft. I'll say he has pretty bright future. His stature is a bit underwhelming, but he definitely doesn't seem like he plays at 160. I would probably put Hughes in the second group as well, and bump Dobson down a tier. Out of the two, Dobson would look like the safer bet, but I see Hughes' ceiling way higher than Dobson's and if I'm picking a defensemen that high in the draft, I would rather go for the homerun than a single or double.

2 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I'd love to be able to sit on the interviews.  A good place to gauge whether a players head is on straight...

The media reports, your quoting Shane aside, have been pretty positive about Boqvist. He also scored excessively high in some of the hardest physical tests at the combines. If he is among the 3 or 5 fittest, most explosive athletes of 104 tested? Or that he is so skilled, which some is natural, but a ton, including skating is time in drills, time on ice. Nothing there speaks to poor work ethic...

But who knows, maybe Shane knows something everyone else does not?

Ya also wish we were hearing more reports about them taking out potential picks to dinner to get to know them more, but i also understand you dont want to show your hand. 

2 minutes ago, Darius71 said:

(side note: anyone else hear Shane Malloy on local radio yesterday afternoon basically saying stay away from Boqvist at 7....basically reiteraring what Button was saying...his inate deficiencies pose too much of a risk)

I just mentioned that as well, if its a home run or bust type scenario i hope they go for someone a bit safer. There are some really good options at 7. 

5 hours ago, shiznak said:

Let's say this happens, although I doubt Toronto does this straight up. Maybe Granlund (to replace Bozak) and Tanev for the 25th and a prospect (Nielsen). 

Then, I wouldn't mind trading the newly acquired 25th and our 7th to the Islanders for their 11th and 12th selections. Draft Smith and one of Veleno, Farabee, Lunderstrom or Hayton.

I don't think the islanders would do that the gap from 7-11 is much smaller then from 12-25.  And most would prefer to have picks 11/12 you would think.

52 minutes ago, Legendary10 said:

Not knowing the full context of Malloy's assessment, I'd totally disagree with Malloy's assessment.  I don't know Boqvist's Combine numbers by heart, but weren't they top notch compared to his peers which speaks for the kind of work ethic the kid has?

I also understand that Boqvist is dyslexic?  Does Malloy know how bad?  Cuz with the crazy hockey training and game participation involved in the sport, I can see school work as a major hurdle with a learning disability thrown in.  Trust me, it's not easy.

Yea to build on this - Malloy probably didn't look into the school he dropped out of.

perhaps it wasn't understanding to his dyslexia, perhaps they didn't have a program in place that worked for those with dyslexia. And like you said on top of hockey it may have been too challenging. 

Need more information before drawing conclusions like that about a young young kid like him.

Archived