The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018 NHL Entry Draft

Zfetch

19 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

He likes 9 guys?

Isn't that like every player possible in our range?

Zadina, Tkachuk, Hughes, Dobson, Bouchard, Boqvist, Wahlstrom, Kotkaniemi

Who's the 9th guy? Smith? Hayton?

You are excluding Dahlin Svech :)

My top 9 are Dahlin + Svech plus the rest you have excluding Bouchard

9 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Work ethic issues don't perform/test that well at the combine.

And the kid has dyslexia, they tend to struggle in school. Shane usually seems more balanced than that...

Moment of lazy sports journalism I believe 

12 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Work ethic issues don't perform/test that well at the combine.

And the kid has dyslexia, they tend to struggle in school. Shane usually seems more balanced than that...

He was not a fan for some reason, I hadnt heard anyone rip into Boqvist like he did. When i first heard it I kinda thought he was talking about Merkley.

14 minutes ago, R3aL said:

You are excluding Dahlin Svech :)

My top 9 are Dahlin + Svech plus the rest you have excluding Bouchard

I highly doubt he was including those two when he says they like 9 guys.

There's a 0% chance they fall out of the top 3.

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Not sure why that would matter? They can easily be included in the players he likes.

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I listened to the interview live and my understanding was, they asked about him picking at 7 and he laughed saying he likes 9 players so they are good regardless.

So I would say he was including both Dahlin and Svech in that 9.

5 minutes ago, TU90 said:

Not sure why that would matter? They can easily be included in the players he likes.

It would matter because he's talking about picking at 7.

Why would Dahlin or Svechnikov having anything to with the players he likes at the 7th pick?

5 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Wahlstrom fits the goal scoring point, but not the Cs and Ds.

I've noticed that Wahlstrom is identified as a C and RW on some sites. He played wing mainly, but because he can play both, maybe Benning likes this? Pettersson can also play all forward positions. But if they strictly want a C (Kot, Hayton), then does Svechnikov, Zadina and Tkachuk not make his list either? I would find that hard to believe.

i'm hoping that montreal takes kotkaniemi, ottawa takes boqvist and detroit takes hughes. that just leaves arizona to take one zadina, tkachuk, wahlstrom, dobson or bouchard. that would be my best case draft picks. if arizona takes zadina, we have it made with whoever jim picks.

i'm hoping that montreal takes kotkaniemi, ottawa takes boqvist and detroit takes hughes. that just leaves arizona to take one zadina, tkachuk, wahlstrom, dobson or bouchard. that would be my best case draft picks. if arizona takes zadina, we have it made with whoever jim picks.

11 hours ago, NaveJoseph said:

What would your reaction be if we took Bouchard?

I would be very disappointed. 

1 hour ago, captainhorvat said:

Just read a tweet from Sekeras that Zadina said he would rather be drafted by Mtl thn Van.

Dont want this guy if he falls to us...

It doesn't really matter. Zadina is clearly worth a top 3 pick, so I understand if he doesn't want to fall in the draft. He's a really competitive guy. But he has also has great character and I'm sure his personal opinion about Vancouver won't be a problem.

If Zadina falls to #7 and we pass him on, I'll have an aneurysm

3 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I've noticed that Wahlstrom is identified as a C and RW on some sites. He played wing mainly, but because he can play both, maybe Benning likes this? Pettersson can also play all forward positions. But if they strictly want a C (Kot, Hayton), then does Svechnikov, Zadina and Tkachuk not make his list either? I would find that hard to believe.

I imagine Svech and Zadina do not make it to their pick is what they're predicting. Likely not Tkachuk either, but it's more likely. Wahlstrom hasn't played C in quite sometime even when opportunities were there for him to do so. Pettersson had been playing C until this past year when he got put into the men's league. Perhaps he can still transition, but it will remain to be seen. If he does not end up being a NHL center, then that's another winger position filled and one more reason why they need legit centers as much as they need defense as well.

1 hour ago, captainhorvat said:

Just read a tweet from Sekeras that Zadina said he would rather be drafted by Mtl thn Van.

Dont want this guy if he falls to us...

With the media these days, I'm sure the question was posed as would you be okay if you fell to 7th to the Canucks or do you think you'll be drafted at 3 where you've been highest ranked. And he probably responded that he'd prefer to be drafted as high as possible and would love to play for Montreal and it is spun as Zadina hates Vancouver.

1 hour ago, Pears said:

Hinting at Wahlstrom??

Why would he state C/LW specifically? He’s not wrong about us technically having depth at LW. Lepsiec, sven, granlund, goldy, and granny all play left wing. Eriksson also has a left shot. 

To me that’s him hinting at zadina and brady if they fall. It’s also seems like him setting us up for taking a forward. 

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

For D, I want Hughes, but he's a lefty. I wonder if Benning cares much about that, considering he's focused on BPA and not position. He also doesn't care if the player is ready to step in next year, so Bouchard doesn't have an edge really. I hope Benning can work some magic, maybe even a trade or two for extra picks, or another "Kole Lind" situation where he gets his player who was passed on.

I have a feeling Wahlstrom is high on their list. He's a smart kid, going to Harvard next year, confident, has a wicked shot like Boeser and scores a lot of goals. He can play C or wing, good skater and has good size. Yes, he is a RW and they don't really need a RW, but he will be the BPA when all is said and done. That's my prediction.

Top 3 BPA after 5 Years?:

1. Dahlin

2. Wahlstrom

3. Svechnikov

I know it's bold, but I have a feeling he'll be a sniper and a top player for years.

RWs - Boeser, Wahlstrom, Virtanen, Lind

LWs - Baertschi, Dahlen, Goldobin, Gadjovich

Cs - Horvat, Pettersson, Gaudette

Canucks have that luxury of a longer window than some as they don't have an aging core...however, will the fanbase have that much patience?   CDC as a mirror of that fanbase would seem to make that questionable.

I remember last year so clearly. I was sitting on the edge of my seat on the couch in front of the TV. Benning came to the mic. I was thinking (praying) "Please say Glass, please say Glass" lol And then he announces Pettersson. What!???

Got to say, I was dumbfounded, was not expecting that, and I even got upset by it. Looked at Pettersson's physical stats. Skinny, skilled kid who would probably get crushed in the NHL. But then last season he destroyed records in the SHL. Benning obviously knows what he's doing. He sees things in players most of us don't. He also gets to see them play often, gets to know them, their character, etc. He's got a team of scouts that spend months preparing for this day.

I'm not sure what to expect this year. The unexpected I suppose.

Archived