The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018 NHL Entry Draft

Zfetch

I think that the main lesson to be learnt from this draft is that GMs are putting a lot more value on speed and skating ability and less on size.  The old adage that you cannot teach size may have fallen by the wayside.  I believe that the NHL is moving towards a more speed & skilled league and less of a rock 'em sock 'em style league.  The players that fell at the draft tended to be players with questionable skating.  Hughes was regarded by many as being the best skater in the whole draft.  I think GMJB drafted players according to what the league will look like in the future which might be very different from how it looks now.  

4 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

I feel the same IBatch

Love NYI picks

I just did a review of the past 7 drafts...……(all rounds)

Pretty much after the first half of the first round, successful picks that make it are pretty randomly scattered through out each round

Benning say's he want 4 NHLer's out of this draft......pretty lofty goal...…..but I guess he has to believe,,,,,it's his job

I am hoping they are all on growth hormones

2 inches and 20 lbs on all of them would just be fine with me

I am not down on our picks.....more, not over the top excited like Jim

I think it is all the talent that passed us, after we picked 7 OA

So many....Wahlstrom, Bouchard, Dobson, Boqvist...…..we had our pick of all 4 we were drooling over

I sure hope we got it right!...……..but Hughes played the Men's World's and played top 4 minutes...….at 17 that is not bad at all

But I think Jim got the 2nd pick right...…….love Woo

He had a tough year

In the end, we will just have to wait and see...…..

While I was firmly in the Dobson camp, JB had the fortune to be able to choose between the runner ups to Dahlin. He took Quinn. 

That says a lot. 

He was like a kid at Christmas that got his wish. After taking Pettersson and Boeser he was calm a cool, this time he was having a hard time not mike dropping at the podium. 

3 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

While I was firmly in the Dobson camp, JB had the fortune to be able to choose between the runner ups to Dahlin. He took Quinn. 

That says a lot. 

He was like a kid at Christmas that got his wish. After taking Pettersson and Boeser he was calm a cool, this time he was having a hard time not mike dropping at the podium. 

It seems to me that Benning is balancing his prospects. Hughes and Stecher for speed and finess and Joulevi and Woo for size. Virtanen and Boeser have size and many smaller fellas to compliment that. It is as much about drafting as it is development. Van is developing depth, love that.  

5 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

It seems to me that Benning is balancing his prospects. Hughes and Stecher for speed and finess and Joulevi and Woo for size. Virtanen and Boeser have size and many smaller fellas to compliment that. It is as much about drafting as it is development. Van is developing depth, love that.  

I would agree. Benning is taking players while considering players and prospects he already has. The blend is reminiscent of the Detroit teams of the 90’s. 

Long way from coming together but we have the right type of prospects in the system. Not too many of one kind of player. 

4 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

That says a lot. 

Could you imagine how hard he was trying to keep that frown from turning around...just the image of him mike dropping makes me laugh 

9 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

I would agree. Benning is taking players while considering players and prospects he already has. The blend is reminiscent of the Detroit teams of the 90’s. 

Long way from coming together but we have the right type of prospects in the system. Not too many of one kind of player. 

Minus the size factor, those 97-98 cup winning teams were big and beligerrant, they'd purposely pick one star each round and either injure them intentionally or knock them off their game.   Yes they had HHOF talent in Shanny, Federov, Murphy and Lidstrom and of course Stevie Y, but they also had mean defenseman that could cripple guys and a fourth line with enforcers that could play.  Col-Det best rivalry in sports all-time, or at the very least since anytime in the nineties, a way tougher team than we've currently got, and skill at another level entirely.

edit sorry posted before ready... that said I hope your right, we need some size now the small skilled side is more than adequate.

16 hours ago, mikeyman109 said:

The most important takeaways from my perspective:

1. had hoped for Bouchard or Dobson, unfortunately Passed on them. More than O.K. with Hughes, because he will be huge for the Canucks on the 1st PP Unit with his skating ability however his shot is lacking as it appears to be his weakness.shots were better from Bouchard and Dobson. He is excellent carrying the puck up ice with his speed and a real "break out machine",although his first pass could be better. I think he will be able to skate back and retrieve the puck faster than any other D man we have.His size presents a challenge and we will see if his offensive capabilities make up for his lack of defensive ability against larger forwards.

3.Extremely happy with Jett Woo because he brings the grit and physical element the Canucks desperately need and can be a better version of Guddy as he skates better.

I trust JB on this one because Bode Wilde was still on the board and could have been our pick as well.

Pleased with Tyler Madden because of his upside to become a middle six centre when he fully realizes his potential: He s a younger version of Sutter and when time come to re sign Sutter.... perhaps Sutter becomes a draft pick.. 

Great Job from Jim and his team!

Had hoped that Jim would have traded Tanev at this years TDL to acquire another 1st round pick. in reply to this I believe we overvalue what Tanev is to us and thus him not being traded. Other teams obviously do not feel Tanev is worth their first round pick. We have seen the market. Its time to get off this train. Teams have their own agenda and Tanev for a first rounder is obviously not part of it. Perhaps there is a younger prospect for him to be had yet but i will wait and see.

Have you ever thought about that Hughes can improve his shot?

Have you ever thought about that a teenager can still gain size and strength?

Have you ever thought about the fact that it's a five man unit on the ice and there might be other players that win puck battles and pass the puck to Hughes?

Have you ever thought about the fact that even undersized D-Man win puck battles because of their excellent stickwork? 

Why was Bode Wilde selected only at #41? Why did he fall?

Can Sutter really compared to Madden? Think about just the frame!

How likely is it that Sutter becomes a draft pick?

How likely is it that Judd Brackett and his scouts are right about the player Madden? 

Have you ever seen an offer for Tanev from another NHL Team?

Lot's of questions out there. Really excited to see if you are able to answer just a few of those correctly.

1 minute ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Have you ever thought about the fact that it's a five man unit on the ice and there might be other players that win puck battles and pass the puck to Hughes?

Have you ever thought about the fact that even undersized D-Man win puck battles because of their excellent stickwork? 

How likely is it that Judd Brackett and his scouts are right about the player Madden? 

Lot's of questions out there. Really excited to see if you are able to answer just a few of those correctly.

If you watched the draft you saw the Burke board that showed skating was the easiest thing to develop...yes his shot will get better but it is a concern.  He won't likely grow, and won't be as fast if he adds twenty pounds either. Likely he will play at around 185.

1 minute ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Have you ever thought about that Hughes can improve his shot? Yes he might but other D could also improve their skating, Have you thought about that?

Have you ever thought about that a teenager can still gain size and strength? Sure but so can other players. Your point is?

Have you ever thought about the fact that it's a five man unit on the ice and there might be other players that win puck battles and pass the puck to Hughes? OMG what does this have to do with anything? Hughes strength and what he will be asked to do is puck retrieval and skating. I never said anything about him not getting passed to by others.

Have you ever thought about the fact that even undersized D-Man win puck battles because of their excellent stickwork? have you ever thought that undersized D men get beat up by bigger forwards and get concussions like Boqvist?

Why was Bode Wilde selected only at #41? Why did he fall? He fell because he didnt interview well at the combine.He still will be a good D man but i trust JB on maing his picks.

Can Sutter really compared to Madden? Think about just the frame! Think about the style of game both play.

How likely is it that Sutter becomes a draft pick? If Madden develops into the thrid line center he makes Sutter expendable

How likely is it that Judd Brackett and his scouts are right about the player Madden? How likely is it that you are better at determining where he will fit than a scout?

Have you ever seen an offer for Tanev from another NHL Team? Have you? I am reading what everyone here thinks we can get for Tanev and nothing of that type has made a deal happen.

I rarely make a personal attack on anyone here

Lot's of questions out there. Really excited to see if you are able to answer just a few of those correctly.Who makes you the judge on whether I am correct or anyone else here?

5 minutes ago, IBatch said:

If you watched the draft you saw the Burke board that showed skating was the easiest thing to develop...yes his shot will get better but it is a concern.  He won't likely grow, and won't be as fast if he adds twenty pounds either. Likely he will play at around 185.

By the way like i said I am more than Ok with Hughes he just wasnt my first pick of the D man just like others wanted Dobson , some wanted Boqvist others wanted Bouchard like me.

10 hours ago, KKnight said:

Was Anderson Macdonald taken? He was a projected top 10 pick at the start of the year. 

** update for all my hockey nerds out there  - he wasnt selected ** 

Like the canucks to take flyer on him. He does have power toward potential.

23 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

By the way like i said I am more than Ok with Hughes he just wasnt my first pick of the D man just like others wanted Dobson , some wanted Boqvist others wanted Bouchard like me.

Join the dark side Mikey. Hughes will grow on you.

1 minute ago, Isam said:

Join the dark side Mikey. Hughes will grow on you.

Like i said more than Ok with the pick. I just dont think hes the shooter for the power play. He will fit in nicely. We still need a shooter from the point. Petterson and Boeser will be great up front. All good hes a Canuck now. We cheers for him and Boo Bouchard hes an Oiler

1 minute ago, mikeyman109 said:

Like i said more than Ok with the pick. I just dont think hes the shooter for the power play. He will fit in nicely. We still need a shooter from the point. Petterson and Boeser will be great up front. All good hes a Canuck now. We cheers for him and Boo Bouchard hes an Oiler

He's got an accurate shot but is not as explosive as Bouchards. No one in the draft has Bouchards cannon with maybe the exception of boqvist. But Hughes can improve his shot power/velocity as he gains more weight. Bouchard might have the best short term gain for the team picking him, but long term I think we hit it out of the park.

9 minutes ago, Isam said:

He's got an accurate shot but is not as explosive as Bouchards. No one in the draft has Bouchards cannon with maybe the exception of boqvist. But Hughes can improve his shot power/velocity as he gains more weight. Bouchard might have the best short term gain for the team picking him, but long term I think we hit it out of the park.

I am hoping you are right. Even Daniel and Henrik learned a slapshot.. but seriously the kid isnt here for his shot. Its not what we should ask him to do. We do get another Draft next year.Maybe our second rounder is a D with a shot.Im good with Hughes.

36 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

Yah me too, than Dobson, then Hughes but they are all so good we definitely got a great player and I still trust Benning enough to begrudgingly accept it.   Guddys stock just way up too, thank god we have him as we will need the size.  I'm not sold in this current trend that speed trumps all and worry that physically our team could suffer through injuries (Bouchard looks like an ox and so far is one, doubt EDM will have man games lost with their pick and McDavid will get one or two more breakaways per game with him passing the puck).  Guess time will tell.

2 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

I am hoping you are right. Even Daniel and Henrik learned a slapshot.. but seriously the kid isnt here for his shot. Its not what we should ask him to do. We do get another Draft next year.Maybe our second rounder is a D with a shot.Im good with Hughes.

You will like woo. His shot is good. You will like the physical side though. Woo plays like his 6 foot five and 260 with his hits.

6 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Yah me too, than Dobson, then Hughes but they are all so good we definitely got a great player and I still trust Benning enough to begrudgingly accept it.   Guddys stock just way up too, thank god we have him as we will need the size.  I'm not sold in this current trend that speed trumps all and worry that physically our team could suffer through injuries (Bouchard looks like an ox and so far is one, doubt EDM will have man games lost with their pick and McDavid will get one or two more breakaways per game with him passing the puck).  Guess time will tell.

I think where Hughes will help the most is quicker puck retrieval in the D zone where he can beat forwards in on a dump and chase. Skating on the Power play he can rush the puck up ice and get the D to back off a bit. I am excited we got Woo at 37 because he is a guy that can skate and can learn the defensive game. He hits like a train and will add grit to the back end. he is bottom 5-6 though.

Archived