The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018 NHL Entry Draft

Zfetch

@IBatchI think we got great value with 7.  Sounds like Benning had him third or fourth on his list and was a consensus 4th OA.  His skating and smarts really separate him from the rest of the group of D.  He is 5'10" which is not really that small, yes he looks small but already outweighs Pettersson.  Great heritage too.

John Madden was not the biggest guy and similarly had sloped shoulders so didn't have the big frame but man he was a good defensive player and a cornerstone of the Devil's.  Tyler has more offensive upside than that by what I have scanned today.  Seems like a good third rounder but was all over the place in the rankings.

Woo looks good. 

What I like here and last year is that one of my criticisms of Benning in the first few years is that I didn't know what a Benning team was.  That may have had to do with honouring the Sedins and trying to compliment them.  Now I know what a Benning team looks like.  Fast, fast, fast with some grit on the wings and D.  That is exciting.  Moving away from puck possession to counter attacking speed team.

1 minute ago, DrJockitch said:

@IBatchI think we got great value with 7.  Sounds like Benning had him third or fourth on his list and was a consensus 4th OA.  His skating and smarts really separate him from the rest of the group of D.  He is 5'10" which is not really that small, yes he looks small but already outweighs Pettersson.  Great heritage too.

John Madden was not the biggest guy and similarly had sloped shoulders so didn't have the big frame but man he was a good defensive player and a cornerstone of the Devil's.  Tyler has more offensive upside than that by what I have scanned today.  Seems like a good third rounder but was all over the place in the rankings.

Woo looks good. 

What I like here and last year is that one of my criticisms of Benning in the first few years is that I didn't know what a Benning team was.  That may have had to do with honouring the Sedins and trying to compliment them.  Now I know what a Benning team looks like.  Fast, fast, fast with some grit on the wings and D.  That is exciting.  Moving away from puck possession to counter attacking speed team.

Agree this is what we had been waiting for. Love Danny and Hank but we needed to get away from their game to move forward.  Its obvious now Jim values skating ability over puck possession.

Hughes is a shoot for the moon pick, much like Pettersson was. He has the highest upside of them between Bouchard, Dobson and himself so I'm happy with it.

Woo is an all around guy. If he turns out like a Vlasic he is a great 2nd round pick.

Madden I don't know enough about but seems like a good overall pick if he fills out the 150lb frame.

4 minutes ago, Brocklovich said:

Too bad no 4th round pick was hoping to get Jack Drury with it.

Not sure about passing on Wise in the 3rd round but all good

I think Drury went early. Like 42 overall IIRC.

But agreed on missing that 4th. Lots of players available I’d love to have that likely are gone by the 5th. Fonstad and Douglas are two (and pretty much opposite extremes) that would’ve been great picks. 

11 minutes ago, IBatch said:

You bet, speed trumps everything now, it's difficult for old timers like me who see value in clearing the next and scoring goals from the point as well as crushing guys as important too.  Love the Woo pick though.  He's Beiga 2.0 with more upside.

I still think Skill, Speed, and Size is the best mix.  So I hear you. 

1 minute ago, N4ZZY said:

Not sure what the rationale was in passing jake wise. 

Me neither.... but the fact that he was sooo well-known yet fell so far suggests that a lot of scouts saw something problematic. This was not a matter of a guy that had a big year, flew under the radar, and should have gone earlier. He was in the spotlight and something negative was exposed. 

I have no issue with us taking Hughes . its definitely a swing for the fences pick. My only issue with it is the players he left behind on D Are going to play and play for a long time.

Dobson and Bouchard are going to be great shooters on the PP. The biggest thing that bothers me about Hughes is the lack of a shot.I trust in Bennings moves so far so this year we went D which I advocated and we have two high end prospects. Next year we can look for the center we need or if a grade A d man drops in our laps we take him too. I am comfortable with these picks knowing we were not going to win the cup this year no matter who we drafted. D first then forwards. Next year we will be able to look at adding a winger if he is the BPA

The naysayers on Hughes will be silenced after watching his magical skill set.  And he is only going to get better. 

Incredibly smart art player and will be opening up his own seams for Boeser and Pettersson.

Could very well be a 50 assist Dman, and not only that, but he will be extremely entertaining to watch!

We have never in our franchise history had a Dman with this level of skill.  

Buckle up kids...  He will be on the opening night roster.  

One of Boesers traits is getting open and finding soft spots.  Hughes opens up passing lanes and finds players in those soft spots...   this is going to be an amazing combo. 

Hughes was a great pick. Only dman I was ok with if they weren't going to take wahlstrom. His offensive ceiling is through the roof. Bouchard can't skate and dobson will just be a safe top 4 type dman, but doesn't have the offensive upside of Hughes. 

Just now, FireGillis said:

Hughes was a great pick. Only dman I was ok with if they weren't going to take wahlstrom. His offensive ceiling is through the roof. Bouchard can't skate and dobson will just be a safe type dman, but doesn't have the offensive upside of Hughes. 

100% agree.  I was high on Boqvist too, but he has bust potential.  Hughes is a guaranteed star.  It’s only a matter of how bright.

Just now, FireGillis said:

Hughes was a great pick. Only dman I was ok with if they weren't going to take wahlstrom. His offensive ceiling is through the roof. Bouchard can't skate and dobson will just be a safe type dman, but doesn't have the offensive upside of Hughes. 

Bouchard and Dobson are going to have solid NHL careers, you can always work on skating. Safe is an odd way of saying well rounded D-man. 

Just now, Ghostsof1915 said:

Bouchard and Dobson are going to have solid NHL careers, you can always work on skating. Safe is an odd way of saying well rounded D-man. 

There is a natural limit to one’s talents.  Dobson and Bouchard have slow feet.  That can’t be changed.  

2 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Hughes has the chance to have an elite nhl career and will qb our pp for years to come. 

Archived