The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How we did on the Drafts

Canucks53

17 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

i actually can see that happening. Benning hasnt done a terrible job considering this was his first GM job. and he's been growing on the job too. sounds more confident and sure of himself in interviews he's conducting compared when he was first on the job. 

Plus he now appears to be balancing his gut instincts with analytics...given his draft picks. I am impressed with his willingness to work on his weaknesses, move on from his mistakes and not let his ego run the ship i.e. Burke (everyone is raving about Calgary but I see that team crashing and burning in the next couple of years).

2 minutes ago, 5nothincanucksohno said:

Plus he now appears to be balancing his gut instincts with analytics...given his draft picks. I am impressed with his willingness to work on his weaknesses, move on from his mistakes and not let his ego run the ship i.e. Burke (everyone is raving about Calgary but I see that team crashing and burning in the next couple of years).

yeah. i think that Benning definitely has been improving in his work as GM. every GM will have their detractors. and Benning is no exception. 

i also see Calgary crashing in a couple of years. they got rid of their 2018 draft pick in what is supposed to be a deep draft. 

I'm all for scrutinizing controversial picks, but I think JB has done well with Pettersson. There's not much of a difference between Glass and Pettersson, and Vilardi slipped a considerable way for some unknown reason. Mittelstatd was in the mix too.

The big concern is our scouting group. We messed up the Virtanen vs Ehlers vs Nylander vs Ritchie pick. Even if we wanted size and grit, we picked the wrong gritty big man, Ritchie is doing far better right now. 

We hit a home-run with Boeser, and Demko was always a given star, but McCann over Pastrnak is a worry considering how closely drafted the two were.

Juolevi over Tkachuk is completely different and hard to compare. It's almost impossible to compare defencemen and gritty forwards, and we probably would have gone for Tkachuk if we hadn't used our previous pick on a gritty powerforward.

Lots of combinations and permutations, and to all of those who say "hindsight is 20-20" is a fool. This isn't the same as pulling a Duncan Keith out of the later rounds. This is making a controversial pick that none of the teams around that area made. When a player gets picked directly after our draft pick and ends up becoming far superior, that's the worry. It's happened with Nylander over Virtanen. It's happened with Pastrnak over McCann. It's (sort of) happened with Tkachuk over Juolevi (although to be fair I still think this one is too hard to compare). Lets just hope it hasn't happened again with Mittelstatd/Glass over Pettersson. 3 bad drafts and you're out. They're not terrible drafts, they're just not the best players we could have picked.

Looking back, we could have had this as our prospect pool if we had picked correctly - that is, taking the right player at the right time. Nothing crazy or off-the-board at all, just players within the vicinity of the guys we took:

Pastrnak - Nylander - Tkachuk

Baertschi - Horvat - Boeser

All that being said, I agree with Juolevi over Tkachuk (due to the Virtanen pick, but also because we needed defencemen in our prospect pool). I am impartial about the Pettersson pick but I think time will tell. Not taking Hague or more defencemen lately despite losing so many recently does hurt our team though.

26 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I'm all for scrutinizing controversial picks, but I think JB has done well with Pettersson. There's not much of a difference between Glass and Pettersson, and Vilardi slipped a considerable way for some unknown reason. Mittelstatd was in the mix too.

The big concern is our scouting group. We messed up the Virtanen vs Ehlers vs Nylander vs Ritchie pick. Even if we wanted size and grit, we picked the wrong gritty big man, Ritchie is doing far better right now. 

We hit a home-run with Boeser, and Demko was always a given star, but McCann over Pastrnak is a worry considering how closely drafted the two were.

Juolevi over Tkachuk is completely different and hard to compare. It's almost impossible to compare defencemen and gritty forwards, and we probably would have gone for Tkachuk if we hadn't used our previous pick on a gritty powerforward.

Lots of combinations and permutations, and to all of those who say "hindsight is 20-20" is a fool. This isn't the same as pulling a Duncan Keith out of the later rounds. This is making a controversial pick that none of the teams around that area made. When a player gets picked directly after our draft pick and ends up becoming far superior, that's the worry. It's happened with Nylander over Virtanen. It's happened with Pastrnak over McCann. It's (sort of) happened with Tkachuk over Juolevi (although to be fair I still think this one is too hard to compare). Lets just hope it hasn't happened again with Mittelstatd/Glass over Pettersson. 3 bad drafts and you're out. They're not terrible drafts, they're just not the best players we could have picked.

Looking back, we could have had this as our prospect pool if we had picked correctly - that is, taking the right player at the right time. Nothing crazy or off-the-board at all, just players within the vicinity of the guys we took:

Pastrnak - Nylander - Tkachuk

Baertschi - Horvat - Boeser

All that being said, I agree with Juolevi over Tkachuk (due to the Virtanen pick, but also because we needed defencemen in our prospect pool). I am impartial about the Pettersson pick but I think time will tell. Not taking Hague or more defencemen lately despite losing so many recently does hurt our team though.

i don't think that Benning has done a terribke job. several other teams had the chance to take Pastrnak as well and they passed on him. McCann's going to be a decent player in the league i think. and he did get us another defensive dman in Gudbranson. 

Nylander is an excellent player. but we will never know if ownership pushed for Virtanen to be drafted or wether that was Benning's sole decision. we still don't know what we have in Jake yet. he's 20. still very young and not every single player develops the same way. Nylander had been playing with men in sweden much like Pettersson is doing as well. i still think Virtanen is going to contribute offensively to the NHL and to the Canucks. he just won't be contributing at the same level as Nylander. but he will bring other elements to his game that Nylander won't. 

with Juolevi. i'm not going there because we needed a dman in our system. i suspect that next years drsft Benning is going to focus on defenseman. supposed to be a deeper drsft where elite skill for dman can be found. looking forward to that. 

3 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Tanev for the Hamonic type return?

This Is JB's job, not his. 

u know the difference between tanev and hansen right? Tanev is more comparable to Hjalmarson. And 2 seconds for Tanev??? Id rather have the stability on the backend.

7 hours ago, skategal said:

Yeh, midway through last season there was a lot of hand wringing over our lack of any sort of elite center in our prospect pool...who was going to replace Henrik.  I haven't looked at all the stats on every center in the draft, but Pettersson looks pretty good, seems to have potential to be that elite center we need.  Isn't that better than going with "safe"?  As an earlier poster said, people will complain because water is wet.  I laughed for quite awhile, great observation!  

We all know next season won't be pretty, but after that we should start seeing more of our youngsters start to make an impact, and in 3 - 5 years I think we're going to have a strong team again.  Cup Final?  who know's, but we will be competitive!  

For the couple of posters on here who are spewing nothing but negative...and have been for the past couple of years now, I'd suggest finding another team, or another sport.  You are so disenchanted with what is happening with the Canucks that it can't be good for your health, and reading your posts is painful.  

7 hours ago, westcoast said:

Not so much disappointed in the players drafted as I am with  the fact that WHEN ARE WE GOING TO START THE REBUILD?All the teams at the draft board received at the very least a similar haul today and if the Canucks are going to get back on top they have to fast track this thing with MULTIPLE high picks or they will never close the gap on anybody.

One post later case in point.

6 hours ago, Qwags said:

What makes you think Pettersson would last that long?

Benning Derangement Syndrome. There's no known cure yet and it seems to be contagious so be careful.

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

i don't think that Benning has done a terribke job. several other teams had the chance to take Pastrnak as well and they passed on him. McCann's going to be a decent player in the league i think. and he did get us another defensive dman in Gudbranson. 

Nylander is an excellent player. but we will never know if ownership pushed for Virtanen to be drafted or wether that was Benning's sole decision. we still don't know what we have in Jake yet. he's 20. still very young and not every single player develops the same way. Nylander had been playing with men in sweden much like Pettersson is doing as well. i still think Virtanen is going to contribute offensively to the NHL and to the Canucks. he just won't be contributing at the same level as Nylander. but he will bring other elements to his game that Nylander won't. 

with Juolevi. i'm not going there because we needed a dman in our system. i suspect that next years drsft Benning is going to focus on defenseman. supposed to be a deeper drsft where elite skill for dman can be found. looking forward to that. 

I agree he hasn't done a terrible job, he's been above average for sure in the last few drafts and with some of his trades, but we're still bottom feeding teams and our prospects aren't exactly blowing anyone out of the water the way other teams' are. 

At the end of the day, we need results, we need them from our draft picks and our prospects and our players. 

8 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Tanev for the Hamonic type return?

This Is JB's job, not his. 

So while we're finally rebuilding, you want to give a first and 2 seconds away???  My point was if you're going to bash JB then suggest something.  I doubt Benning is sitting on his hands staring at the ceiling.  It takes two teams to form the structure of a trade and there needs to be a benefit to both.   

I think our prospect pool just got greatly improved but I think all of the picks this year are at least 3 - 5 years away from making any sort of impact on the team.

I think if we use 5 years from now as the starting point for us competing again and relax till then we will be fine. If management gets impatient and tries to speed it up this could all be for nothing. We need to stay the course and be patient.

After Sat, the Canucks have Kole drop to them at 33, and then the surprise for me is DiPietro, looking from my perspective, there is a chance that 4 player's from this draft have some what of a realistic chance to play in the NHL. And in the end i'll take those odd's any day. Prospects camp just around the corner, should be interesting to see the advancements of some of the young Canucks.

3 hours ago, sonoman said:

So while we're finally rebuilding, you want to give a first and 2 seconds away???  My point was if you're going to bash JB then suggest something.  I doubt Benning is sitting on his hands staring at the ceiling.  It takes two teams to form the structure of a trade and there needs to be a benefit to both.   

Exactly.  Calgary is at a different stage in their rebuild.  They have the depth at this point to trade away multiple assets for key missing pieces in their puzzle.  The Canucks just don't have the depth.  Sometimes the best move is no move at all.

Imagine if Benning went into next years draft, which looks pretty good at the top without a 1st or 2nd pick?

On 2017-06-24 at 1:47 AM, Canucks53 said:

May Be JB is a GM with great long term vision, or he is just simply doing a bad job. Its time for the owner to start consider changing the GM.

I understand that last year we picked Olli over Matt Tkachuk was because the market is paying a premium for good defenseman (but I still don't agree, I think Matt is a better player). But this year we picked Pettersson over Cody Glass, Gabe Vilardi, and Casey Mittelstadt??? then I just don't get it. Every year, as a fan, I am somewhat disappointed as some of the drafts we make.

Here are the drafts that we make since JB joined, and also a list of players that were available for him to pick since 2014. Only 1 guy so far (Brock Boeser) is last seen playing for the Canucks, and only because we were out of the playoffs so he can get some minutes. Looking back, I think we failed big time in the 2014 draft when we had two 1st rounder. Look at all the options that we had instead of Jake or Jared (Guys sorry, no offense), but imagine we have  any of these guys in our lineup now: William Nylander, Nikolaj Ehlers, Dylan Larkin,  Nick Ritchie or David Pastrnak.

I really just wished this year we had taken any of these three Cody Glass, Gabe Vilardi, and Casey Mittelstadt, and wait for a chance to pick Pettersson in the 2nd round. If you heard the interview with Petterson, he also said basically just Vancouver have shown much interest. Or we could have traded down for other teams to pick the three and we get something back. I just hope that Vilardi won't become a big contributor to the Kings next year, otherwise not only that I will be sad seeing the Canucks lose now, I would also be unhappy to see the Flames AND the Kings win next season.

The other frustrations that I have is why would we keep making moves that we regret. We drafted McCann and traded him, We traded for Bonino with Kesler and then traded him away for Sutter, we signed for Vrbata and then just to let him out cold after a hot season, We could have drafted Goldobin instead of McCann, but we didn't and we traded away Hansen for him.

I guess partly Willie D have to take some responsibility, but as a fan, I really have no idea what JB is trying to achieve here with the club. Honestly, I don't see we have much assets at all as a Hockey Club.

Canucks Draft              
Year Round Team Players GP G A P Status (Last Seen)
2016 Round 1 VAN Olli Juolevi Nil Nil Nil Nil Minors
2015 Round 1 VAN
Brock Boeser 
9 4 1 5 NHL
2014 Round 1 VAN
Jake Virtanen 
65 7 7 14 Minors
2014 Round 1 VAN
Jared McCann
98 10 15 25 Traded
2014 Round 2 VAN
Thatcher Demko 
Nil Nil Nil Nil Minors

Players we could have drafted            
Year Round Team Players GP G A P  
2016 1 CGY
Matthew Tkachuk
76 13 35 48  
2015 2 CAR
Sebastian Aho
82 24 25 49  
2015 2 BOS
Brandon Carlo 
82 6 10 16  
2014 1 TOR
William Nylander 
103 28 46 74  
2014 1 WPG Nikolaj Ehlers 154 40 62 102  
2014 1 NSH Kevin Fiala 60 12 5 17  
2014 1 DET Dylan Larkin 160 40 37 77  
2014 1 ANA Nick Ritchie 110 16 16 32  
2014 1 BOS David Pastrnak 172 59 64 123  

Great research Captin Hindsight!  

With a list of kids who haven't even started their careers yet, you make this thread.     Great work.   

I really enjoyed not reading the majority of it.   

9 hours ago, 87Crosby said:

u know the difference between tanev and hansen right? Tanev is more comparable to Hjalmarson. And 2 seconds for Tanev??? Id rather have the stability on the backend.

You've lost me. You've possibly misquoted me. 

I said JB should go for a trade return for Tanev -a Hamonic-type return - and you responded with me not knowing the difference between Tanev and "Hansen"? Where does he fit into that statement???

You were even plused for it? What a site. 

4 hours ago, sonoman said:

Holy F you guys need to lay off the dope!

Another plused post for directly, bizarrely misquoting me!??  Unreal.

I posted that JB should acquire picks for Tanev, not give them away.

Good god you guys. Sort your posting out. 

11 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

i also see Calgary crashing in a couple of years. they got rid of their 2018 draft pick in what is supposed to be a deep draft. 

They paid the price to get perhaps the best D in the league. If the goaltending works out, they can Firkland their way in the playoffs, unlike the Canucks, who have a soft back end and only more soft in the system, with no guarantee in goal either. The Flames have a decent start on a forward core, but unfortunately for them, won't be finishing low enough to rebuild it any longer. 

This team won't crash anything except opposing forwards into the boards. I'm the last thing from being a Flames fan, but come on man, give them at least some credit. They've a great GM, for one. 

I think the sharks come out with the best draft considering their positions.

Norris is a pavelski 2.0 in the making.

Ferraro is offensive elite skating offensive D who's going to give Makar a run for his money as the best freshman D on Umass next year

And then theyy take the two steals of the drafts with their final picks, first with Chmelevski an elite skilled player that is very close to being on par with Pettersson in terms of offensive skill  and then following that up with Chekhovich who's is an extremely offensive gifted winger that is also relentless forechecker, very Datzyuk esq. He dominated the U18 playing on russia's top line.

The walked out with 3 players that I was really hoping the canucks would end up getting.  It will be fun to watch who's draft turns out in the next 5-10 years.

16 hours ago, IBatch said:

Why didn't he rip things up at the world juniors then with "equal" competition?  Where do you find the formula for going tier II Swedish league vs the CHL anyways? Set at 1.7? Just curious.

When we look at Pettersson’s production through the SEAL (Situational Era Age League), he’s at the top of his entire draft class with 1.73 points per game after the adjustments. Canuck Army.

Archived