The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What is your unpopular opinion?

Kaner

I think the "speed game" is not entertaining and I would rather have 80s,90, or even the 2000 era of hockey back. Too many stretches in a game where there is nothing happening no plays, hits, goals, fights,entertainment. A lot of people seem to love to speed game but not me. Since we are on the topic, I also miss the passion and intensity of the game, the hate and rivalries, big hits and fights.

1. I think Benning needs a guy over him that knows hockey. I hate Linden as the president. Think Dale Tallon

2. I hated Willie D

3. I hate Mark Messier

4. Ryan Kesler is a dick, an adulterer, and a crappy team-mate

5. I hate the extra points....just give me a win, loss or tie

6. I never would have traded for Vey

7. I would play Jordan Subban up as a winger.......sink or swim

8. I think tanking is the only way to rebuild and the proof is in the second and third rounds if you pick early

9. I don't blame Tryamkin for leaving......I blame Willie D and Benning

10. Condense the league to 28 teams, and give one to Quebec City

11. I would trade the Sedin's and Edler

12. Stop equalization payments

13. The cap floor should be higher

14. Players can only retire if an independent doctor examines and recommends retire due to injury..a rash is not a career ending injury! Nor away for cap relief!

15. I would reduce beer prices at the games to $5.00 a pint and $3.00 pints on Tuesdays

The NHL really should've stepped in to prevent the Oilers from getting their 4th 1st overall pick, McDavid. They could've banned the Oilers from winning any more lotteries for the next decade or so. Instead they changed the whole lottery draft system to ruin it for future rebuilding teams just so they wouldn't hurt the Oilers' feelings. Now we've got a system where the Flyers, who finished 19th, end up with the 2nd overall pick.

F the Oilers, it's such a travesty that they were gifted McDavid. 

Disclaimer: Some of this may actually be popular opinion but I am including it anyway.

Canucks edition

1) The Canucks need to stop trading picks for other team's castoffs period. These teams have been watching these players in their development system for years. They have brought them into training camps, they have closely monitored their progress. They know their personalities, they know their commitment, they know their strengths and they know their weaknesses. Its beyond arrogant to think that you know these players better than those organizations. The only success the Canucks have ever had with this strategy is due to Weisbrod having inside knowledge from his time with the Flames. Even then Granlund and Baerstchi are good players but far from special. The rest of the trades have yet to bear any fruits. Vey, Pedan, Etem, Clendening, Gudbranson etc.

2A) With all the parity in the league the only way to move the needle is with elite talent. The only way to acquire elite talent is through the draft. Free agency is dead, trading for elite talent is extremely difficult. This only leaves the draft. Its crucial that you hit on your top 5-10 picks. Unfortunately Virtanen doesn't look like an elite talent. I have high hopes for Juolevi but as of now Tkachuk and Keller look like better picks. Hopefully Pettersson fares much better and its crucial that the team correctly identify the best player with future top picks.

2B) Its also crucial that you acquire as many picks as possible. The Flyers, Jets, Coyotes, Leafs, Jackets have all acquired tons of picks and drafted talent all over the draft. Many of these guys will bust but this shotgun approach to drafting is how you unearth gems. If you are lucky like Calgary was you can get an elite talent with a 5th round pick and that saves you a year of having to tank.

3) Trevor Linden should have been eased into a front office role. He should have either started out as a lesser role under someone more experienced or he should have taken up a job in the league office. Either way I don't think it makes sense to have someone whose only managerial experience was that of a gym owner before he got the job of running a multimillion dollar organization. 

4) The Aquilinis lack of ambition has set this franchise back years. Mike Gillis correctly identified that this organization was in dire need of a rebuild during the 2013-14 season. He tried to move Kesler for a package of futures at the deadline, Aquilini nixed that deal. He fired Gillis in the summer. Benning was hired to win while recycling pieces out, he promptly traded Kesler for a 1st, Bonino and Sbisa. Pieces that would help keep the team competitive enough to satisfy Aquaman. Bob Murray admitted that he was ready to move more at the deadline before Aquaman squashed that deal. All in all the Kesler trade has not been good enough. The Ducks had the 10th pick (Ritchie), Vatanen, Etem, Rakell, Kerdiles, Manson etc. Instead we went for a "lets stay competitive but mediocre" package.

Had the Aquilinis taken a hit for a few years, rebuilded right from when Gillis wanted to... They would have had a competitive team with hopefully some elite talent starting to emerge by now. They could have seen sell outs and started to make a ton of that money back. Instead they opted for attrition, for slightly more revenue in ticket sales in the short term. Now attendance continues to decline. 

League edition

1) Switch to 3-2-1-0 point system. Regulation win, 3 points. Overtime or shootout, 2 points. OTL/SOL, 1 point. All games have the same points awarded out. 

2) Getting rid of slashing on the hands is good. They need to remove the other crap that goes as well as especially the hooking and holding that goes on. Its an artificial way for unskilled teams to keep games close by essentially mugging the skill players. The NHL is its own worst enemy. People think hockey is boring because we do not let our skill players flourish. 

3) Growing the game is extremely important if we want to see the skill level of the league rise. More people playing = better talent coming into the league. That's why its crucial that we don't skip out on things like the Olympics which are a chance to showcase our talent. It may not have a perceivable impact in the short term but it does help long term generate more interest and following.

Will add more once I think of them.

Patrick Kane is not a top 10 player in this league. I would put him somewhere betweeen 12 and 15. Some people agree with me, some people say I'm dumb as hell. But no. Not top 10 for sure. He's still a top scorer, but still, there are so many guys I would take ahead of him it's not even close.

Jake Virtanen is not a bust. At least not yet. He really only had one really atrocious season, which is honestly very recoverable. His 19 year old rookie NHL season was not a bad one, his next season was just garbage. I think he's showing flashes of bouncing back. I just don't see a kid with an ego like that go quietly into the night and become one of the biggest laughing stocks in the history of his hometown.

Shootouts are garbage. Maybe this one isn't that unpopular but I see shootouts as absurd. It's like ending an exciting basketball game with a free throw competition, a football game with field goals, or a soccer game with penalty kicks. (I know, soccer actually does do that) I get why they have too but it just isn't the game. Shootouts mean nothing on who is better or who played better. I get it for regular season, but international tournaments like last years Canada USA world juniors... What an amazing game to such a boring ending. 

On 2017-09-25 at 10:44 AM, gerry35 said:

Pro athletes protesting national anthems are puppets fighting an imaginary enemy.  The ultimate conformists doing what they are told to do, they willingly believe lies. 

Fans protesting against player protests are the real misguided conformists. Particularly if they allow themselves to be brainwashed into believing that a sport event can't and shouldn't exist unless someone sings a national anthem before it starts. 

And, it isn't the actual anthem(s) that players are protesting against. But, unfortunately, the narrative has been so hijacked by an ignorant fan base and media that the original player (Colin Kaepernick) protest - as of last weekend - is now completely watered-down and whitewashed of its intent from a year ago.

My unpopular opinion is that Bertuzzi did nothing wrong. Was no intent to permanently injure Moore he was just trying to beat his ass. Big difference. Wrong outcome. Not sure what the consensus is on this message board but this sure is an unpopular opinion around the rest of the leagues fan bases.

1) Horvat is overrated

2) Torts wasn't given a fair shake in Vancouver

3) Willie D was fired too late

4) I think the Sedins are more interested in helping the youngins than to win the cup

5) Most Vancouver fans are whiners and complainers

6) The Canucks need an Asian player

7) Linden was overrated

8) The Vancouver media reminds me of the paparazzi

9) Seeing Edm with McDavid, Toronto with Matthews while Vancouver has Horvat...kills me

10) It's great to see the Penguins go the the White House, and the players not kneeling to the flag, sports should stay in the arena of sports. Want to protest, go to a rally but not a sporting event.

42 minutes ago, canuck204 said:

My unpopular opinion is that Bertuzzi did nothing wrong. Was no intent to permanently injure Moore he was just trying to beat his ass. Big difference. Wrong outcome. Not sure what the consensus is on this message board but this sure is an unpopular opinion around the rest of the leagues fan bases.

I second that

3 hours ago, Fakename70 said:

Fans protesting against player protests are the real misguided conformists. Particularly if they allow themselves to be brainwashed into believing that a sport event can't and shouldn't exist unless someone sings a national anthem before it starts. 

And, it isn't the actual anthem(s) that players are protesting against. But, unfortunately, the narrative has been so hijacked by an ignorant fan base and media that the original player (Colin Kaepernick) protest - as of last weekend - is now completely watered-down and whitewashed of its intent from a year ago.

How is that being brainwashed? A sporting event should be enjoyed by people on both sides of the political spectrum. If players want to protest then do it on thier own time. Fans should not have to spend so much money to go to a game to think about that stuff. I'd argue that a lot of people go to these events to escape from this stuff. Players are paid millions to play a sport, if they want to be polititions then change jobs and potest all you want.

5 hours ago, smokes said:

How is that being brainwashed? A sporting event should be enjoyed by people on both sides of the political spectrum. If players want to protest then do it on thier own time. Fans should not have to spend so much money to go to a game to think about that stuff. I'd argue that a lot of people go to these events to escape from this stuff. Players are paid millions to play a sport, if they want to be polititions then change jobs and potest all you want.

Hey, this is supposed to be a place to post without critisim; a safe space.

Its not a debate thread. Let it go. 

-I don't like inconsistent replay results. What is a goal one game gets disallowed the next, makes no sense. A big part of this is the "distinct kicking motion" Back in the 80's when goals were fast and furious, nothing off the feet counted, it was black and white. 

-Also, to echo what Henrik Sedin once said is to ask what professional league in the world changes the rules during the season. I think he was referring to the spring executives meetings where they have in the past made immediate changes to the rules or maybe he meant how the playoffs are called differently, either way I guess.

-One last one, bring back wooden sticks or fibreglass composite sticks,

Benefits include;

1. players will be forced to do learn different or lost skills..... and the puck will likely stay down lower resulting in less injuries.

2. No more of this broken stick costs a great scoring opportunity nonsense (Edler are you listening?)

3. Parents won't feel forced to spend $400 to get their kid the same stick that Crosby uses only to see it get broken or worse yet, stolen a week later.

On 9/19/2017 at 6:41 AM, Ghostsof1915 said:

- All new arenas have to have the ability to hold 20,0000 fans and international ice. 

- Dump 3 teams, hold an expansion draft, and a 20 year ban on expansion. Florida, choice of New Jersey or Islanders, and Arizona. 

- If Quebec City wants a team, buy Carolina. 

- If Seattle wants a team, buy Vegas when it hopefully fails. 

- I also predict Vegas will be popular until the NFL moves in. Once that's done, the team will struggle to fill seats. 

Oh how true this will be.

• Jonathan Toews is grossly overrated
  • Matthew Tkachuk is even more overrated
  • Matthews is better than McDavid
  • Luongo was under appreciated by Canucks fans (and getting to 2011 SCF doesn't happen without him)
  • Brandon Sutter is underrated 
  • Jake Virtanen will become a top 6 forward
  • No NHL player is "soft"

There, all of those seem to be contrary to what most seem to believe.

15 hours ago, smokes said:

You don't mind the macho nationalist propaganda? That's what the pregame anthems have become though. And, not just the NFL. The NHL isn't above the militarization of its pregame pageantry, either. 

Archived