The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Buffalo Sabres

-Vintage Canuck-

28 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

I have a feeling that Jake doesn't feel sorry for himself over having to play with two former Art Ross winners who are still very good playmakers. In fact, I suspect that if asked, he would jump at the chance to play the rest of the season with the twins.

Absolutely.

Granny, Goldy and now Jake have all looked good and put up more points with the Twins than on other lines.  Some fresh legs seems to compliment them well but it's a two way street.

21 minutes ago, Pete M said:

He has been watching Miller too much last year while sitting on the bench...Miller usually let a softie in per game.

Speed, power, hitting and shooting are good attributes to have in order to compliment the Sedins.

Miller 'usually let a softie in per game'?  Seriously?  His goaltending was one of the bright lights of last season.  People used to go on about Luongo's 'softies' too.  ALL NHL goalies let in softies now and then.  The thing is, it only seems that our goalies let in more softies than others just because we see them play more, obviously.

Goalies like Miller and Luongo didn't achieve at an elite level if they 'let a softie in per game'.

'Speed, power, hitting and shooting' pretty well covers the good attributes for ALL players, n'est-ce pas'?  And it's 'complement'.  The Sedins' linemate will have to do more than compliment them.

• Missed Gudbranson
  • Not missing Eriksson
  • Not missing Edler
  • Jake is beginning to realize what he can do. (Who said he has no hockey IQ, that was a sick dish to Henrik which led to the winning goal)
  • Need to get rid of Gagner when Eriksson returns, easiest guy to move
  • Del Zotto is looking really good, glad we signed him
  • No points for Boeser, what a bust (joking)

I missed the first period, but watched the 2nd and 3rd. Is it just me or was Kane practically invisible the whole game? I'm really not sure I want Benning to sign him, seems like another Eriksson type player who is very inconsistent with their intensity. We already have our low intensity quota filled with Edler and Eriksson.

Looking forward to playing Detroit tomorrow.

10 minutes ago, VanGnome said:
  • Missed Gudbranson
  • Not missing Eriksson
  • Not missing Edler
  • Jake is beginning to realize what he can do. (Who said he has no hockey IQ, that was a sick dish to Henrik which led to the winning goal)
  • Need to get rid of Gagner when Eriksson returns, easiest guy to move
  • Del Zotto is looking really good, glad we signed him
  • No points for Boeser, what a bust (joking)

I missed the first period, but watched the 2nd and 3rd. Is it just me or was Kane practically invisible the whole game? I'm really not sure I want Benning to sign him, seems like another Eriksson type player who is very inconsistent with their intensity. We already have our low intensity quota filled with Edler and Eriksson.

Looking forward to playing Detroit tomorrow.

Brock had 2 good shot attempts but unfortunately didn't hit the net. If he's the kind of player I know he is, he will remember that and hopefully correct that for next game. He'll score twice next game is what I'm saying. 

Just now, Camel Toe Drag said:

Brock had 2 good shot attempts but unfortunately didn't hit the net. If he's the kind of player I know he is, he will remember that and hopefully correct that for next game. He'll score twice next game is what I'm saying. 

I was impressed with Brock's game. Even when he's not scoring, he's dangerous and a threat and playing well away from the puck. Steal of the draft for sure.

2 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

I have a feeling that Jake doesn't feel sorry for himself over having to play with two former Art Ross winners who are still very good playmakers. In fact, I suspect that if asked, he would jump at the chance to play the rest of the season with the twins.

Well that is an opinion you are entitled to - however let's see what half a season retrieving lost pucks and knocking his pan out while taking up good positions only to be passed over for some impossible pass from one brother to the other does for his confidence and consistency.

1 hour ago, VanGnome said:

I was impressed with Brock's game. Even when he's not scoring, he's dangerous and a threat and playing well away from the puck. Steal of the draft for sure.

He needs to play with more belligerence imo but hopefully that will come. If it doesn't then we all know he will be bullied out of the games that matter.

6 hours ago, Mattrek said:

With how many bs calls don't go our way are you seriously complaining about getting a controversial call in our favor? Like I mean wow man. It's about frigging time we get one back. Though that was a good call as Jake had control. The puck can be brought in after a player if the player is in control.

I would rather to see consistency than one-side calls across the board.  The NHL has a history of favoritism and I don't want to see that happen even it favors us for one night.   Through the years, I feel like it's a ratio of 100 bad call against us vs just one for us.  Even though that it will continue to have favoritism and biased call against us.  Even if it helps us for one night, I want to stick to the principle by calling out NHL to stay consistency with their ruling because too many disallow calls goal against us when there's nothing to warrant a disallow goal, example, Sedin goal that was disallowed but there were no evidence of distinct kick of the puck in the goal in the 2012 playoffs series against LA.  I believe that it was Murphy that made the call and keeps on insisting that it was a distinct kick in an interview with Ron MacLean while majority of hockey expert disagreed with him..  Like I said, favoritism exists in the league and I'm asking them to be fair even it helped us for one night in hope for more consistency calls that favors neither teams and shows who is the best team for that night, rather than a help from ref.  Also perfect example, a missed instigator call against Boston after Gudbransen boarding major.   

Even if the Virtanen offside calls be correct after learning that you can skate the puck backward as long as you have control and Jake seemed to show a control of puck after knocking the puck down and still maintain the control without any flinch of the movement even if the second touch didn't happen until the puck was completely past the blue line.  This is rarely enforced that allowed for goal to stand with the puck knocked down and the bounces and still maintain control.  Reason I say that because most of time in other situations from different games where offside is not called after 4th touch or 5th touch with control but this is just 2nd touch after a multi bounces.   I believe that this is first one with just 1st touch and puck was still bouncing up in the air and 2nd touch was not until the puck went past the blue line.  Had Jake flinched or hesitated, then he did not have any control and offside should be called.

5 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

How was Virtanen not offside? 

he made a play on the puck well outside the blue line, this gave him possession.  Virtanen knocked the puck out of mid air to himself, the very definition of control.  He then crosses the blue line onside puck last and makes another touch on the puck maintaining control/possession the entire time before passing off to the sedin show for the goal.

1 hour ago, alfstonker said:

He needs to play with more belligerence imo but hopefully that will come. If it doesn't then we all know he will be bullied out of the games that matter.

I don't think we should expect that from him any time soon.

he came from a collegiate setting which is much different than the A or junior as far as abrasive play goes.

this is a pure skill sniper that we have and I'll be fine if he sticks to his skill set while simply not shying away from tough areas.

besides, I'm sure the word is out that blocking his shot will cost you some weeks.

16 minutes ago, riffraff said:

I don't think we should expect that from him any time soon.

he came from a collegiate setting which is much different than the A or junior as far as abrasive play goes.

this is a pure skill sniper that we have and I'll be fine if he sticks to his skill set while simply not shying away from tough areas.

besides, I'm sure the word is out that blocking his shot will cost you some weeks.

I know what you are saying riff but I don't think he can be a pure skill sniper if he DOESN'T get meaner. He will be picked on and bullied and if these guys don't see anything coming back they will eventually close him down as a sniper imo.

Did you watch the Sabres game? there was one instance that stood out behind the Sabres goal that was far too reminiscent of a Sedin for comfort.

11 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

I know what you are saying riff but I don't think he can be a pure skill sniper if he DOESN'T get meaner. He will be picked on and bullied and if these guys don't see anything coming back they will eventually close him down as a sniper imo.

Did you watch the Sabres game? there was one instance that stood out behind the Sabres goal that was far too reminiscent of a Sedin for comfort.

Actually missed that game.  Listened while driving.

it will remain to be seen with him. I think the belligerent play you, and I for that matter,  hope for, will come through others leading the charge and Brock joining that pack.  I just don't see that in his demeanour or body language.

postively, he's big enough to be effective in heavier games.

imo it's on mgmt to find other hybrid players to alleviate the need for pure skilled guys like brock to go out of their way to be a player they aren't.  Brock should be on a pp as a result of other teams bully tactics, not sucked into them.

i mean I get what you're saying and I would live to have this belligerent top six - nine but the reality is that a team really only needs 2-3 guys through the forward group that can deter.

so far we don't really have any imo.  Dd, credit to him, is always game, but he is a responder not an instigator.  No team fears dorsett.  Sure he keeps other guys relatively honest but he is alone in the forward group.  

It seems that jb is concentrating on skill development first, which I agree with.  But certainly, watching the team get pushed around most nights is tough.

2 hours ago, Kungfudru said:

Buffalo is such a horrible team. They'll prob end up with Dahlin and still suck. 

They remind me of Edmonton pre McDavid draft, never getting it right!

The McOiler draft is a stain on the NHL until Connor hangs em up!

Drove over from Utica to Buffalo to see the game as the Sabres are my second team. 3rd game in four nights on the road but the Canucks looked so much faster. Particularly on D. 

My mind was changed on Vanek. He is a real net presence and is a slick passer. He has some size and takes a beating out there.  We need him in that role. 

Sedin line played very well and Jake continues to impress. When he gets the puck he is one of those players that immediately puts the opponent on his heels. Sedins have much more jump this year with limited minutes and Virtanen is an upgrade for them from Vanek. Not a slag on Vanek just a better fit. 

First two periods Horvat line was dominant. Possession and pressure throughout. Baertschi has to get his shooting together. He had three grade A chances the goalie just caught. No rebound.  Boeser better passer than he gets credit for. Dangerous line. 

Gagner Burmistrov Vanek line was ok basically as placeholders in protected minutes. Not sure Green loves that line but the other three lines are set and they are what's left. 

Eichel is fantastic. He won loads of puck battles, stole passes and is so slick on d. Best player on the ice by a wide margin. Only guy close to him skill wise is Baertschi who also steals pucks all the time and sets up his teammates. Nobody else on Sabres was making plays though. He was out there by himself although Kane is a physical presence. Just seemed to be no chemistry between those two. 

Biega is is such a good guy to have around. Hits, skates. And is always ready. Probably not an every day player but he was solid last night. Pouliot is similar to him and maybe even a better skater which is saying something. Biega, pouliot Stecher Hutton jumped into the play and put the pressure on the Sabres all night. That is four very fast d men right there. Sabres in contrast do not have that element in their game. Bailey, Kane, Pouliot, Okposo, Nolan, Ristolainen are all way bigger than the biggest Canucks last night but they couldn't pound the Canucks like they should have. 

Sabres looked very disorganized and were completely undone by Canucks speed. They should be way better than what I saw last night. OReilly was a defensive liability and was beaten to puck several times. Rhienhardt was nowhere to be found. Matt Moulsin makes 5 million. Those three are usually offensive threats but last night nothing and Sabres had last change against a team playing on road for third night out of four. Team is too slow. And the bottom two lines for Sabres provided nothing. Sedins and gagner line ran all over them. Ristolainen is Guddy size but he didn't assert himself more and Sabres D couldn't get clean break outs. 

Marky needs to to tighten up. Lucky his sloppy plays haven't hurt more. 

Raise your hand if you miss Edler.  

7 hours ago, EdgarM said:

I agree the Twins don't seem as slow playing with Virtanen, They also actually seem to be getting better offensive chances with him on their line.

Jake needs to seize the day with Hansen gone. Stamina and awareness need to continue to be developed. Jake has never had a shot this good in his pro career. 

IMO if Jake can play 13-15 minutes of high intensity hockey a night he could really find a grove with he twins. 

21 minutes ago, hobart16 said:

Drove over from Utica to Buffalo to see the game as the Sabres are my second team. 3rd game in four nights on the road but the Canucks looked so much faster. Particularly on D. 

My mind was changed on Vanek. He is a real net presence and is a slick passer. He has some size and takes a beating out there.  We need him in that role. 

Sedin line played very well and Jake continues to impress. When he gets the puck he is one of those players that immediately puts the opponent on his heels. Sedins have much more jump this year with limited minutes and Virtanen is an upgrade for them from Vanek. Not a slag on Vanek just a better fit. 

First two periods Horvat line was dominant. Possession and pressure throughout. Baertschi has to get his shooting together. He had three grade A chances the goalie just caught. No rebound.  Boeser better passer than he gets credit for. Dangerous line. 

Gagner Burmistrov Vanek line was ok basically as placeholders in protected minutes. Not sure Green loves that line but the other three lines are set and they are what's left. 

Eichel is fantastic. He won loads of puck battles, stole passes and is so slick on d. Best player on the ice by a wide margin. Only guy close to him skill wise is Baertschi who also steals pucks all the time and sets up his teammates. Nobody else on Sabres was making plays though. He was out there by himself although Kane is a physical presence. Just seemed to be no chemistry between those two. 

Biega is is such a good guy to have around. Hits, skates. And is always ready. Probably not an every day player but he was solid last night. Pouliot is similar to him and maybe even a better skater which is saying something. Biega, pouliot Stecher Hutton jumped into the play and put the pressure on the Sabres all night. That is four very fast d men right there. Sabres in contrast do not have that element in their game. Bailey, Kane, Pouliot, Okposo, Nolan, Ristolainen are all way bigger than the biggest Canucks last night but they couldn't pound the Canucks like they should have. 

Sabres looked very disorganized and were completely undone by Canucks speed. They should be way better than what I saw last night. OReilly was a defensive liability and was beaten to puck several times. Rhienhardt was nowhere to be found. Matt Moulsin makes 5 million. Those three are usually offensive threats but last night nothing and Sabres had last change against a team playing on road for third night out of four. Team is too slow. And the bottom two lines for Sabres provided nothing. Sedins and gagner line ran all over them. Ristolainen is Guddy size but he didn't assert himself more and Sabres D couldn't get clean break outs. 

Marky needs to to tighten up. Lucky his sloppy plays haven't hurt more. 

Raise your hand if you miss Edler.  

it was nice to see some comets jerseys in the crowd!

17 hours ago, Curt said:

I am fine with 7 points in 7 games. Just 1 point behind 3rd place in the division. A win in Detroit would be huge and the Canucks can do it. 

Plus new coach new system new lines, this team has better hockey ahead.

6 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

Poor Flames that have to play with Yagr. Yeh CDC really feel the Sedins shouldn't be NHL players. Yet they will be 50 plus points until they retire. Good post Lumme!!!!!!

the problem with the soft goals, is that this team doesn't score enough to recover from it.  Knock on wood this season hasn't been so bad, but last year Vancouver was shut out in roughly 12% of their total games played.  If that's all your getting for offense, the soft goals will cost you games. 

Archived