The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Buffalo Sabres

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, PistolPete13 said:

Some posters were about to start a Derek Dorset do we need him?  post but his recent excellence put that on hold.

I’m so happy for double D.

I liked him when he was on Columbus and I was pretty happy when we picked him up.

He’s probably not going to score more than a dozen goals, but those are gravy.

He’s valuable for everything else he brings to the table.

I cannot understand all the whinging about his contract. He’s not the problem here.

I must admit I'm pulling my foot out of my mouth. He is playing some of his best hockey right now.

45 minutes ago, singing chef said:

Very quietly and almost unnoticed is how effective Sutter is on this team.  He is extremely dependable in all areas of the ice and does his job efficiently.  Never under estimate the value of a right-shooting centre.

Please don't praise players over 24, it goes against the trend here. Trade everyone. Everyone sucks. They are limiting the kids chances.

4 hours ago, SergioMomesso said:

Alrighty people. Let’s raise a glass to our boys for a well played game from top to bottom. 

Cheers everyone 

4 hours ago, YummyCakeFace said:

Eichel walks Hutton and another softy by Marky for Buffalo's 2nd goal. What's happened to Hutton?  He doesn't even look AHL calibre. Talk about regression. 

4 hours ago, ThaShady1 said:

The more I see of Green, the more I like. Concise responses, gives praise where it’s due and, as in the comment about Markstrom wanting that second 1 back, isn’t afraid to say so. I respect that and I bet the players do too. 

Saw the game late on PVR and would like build on some of the other comments.

1. Obviously a well-played game by the Canucks. I was glad to see the empty-net goal as that made the score closer to a reflection of the play. Not sure if the Canucks are that good or Buffalo is that bad (and let's not sign Kane as a UFA) but the Canuck skaters really dominated. If not for below average goaltending by Marky and above average goaltending at the other end the score would have been more one-sided.

2. Congrats to the first line for an excellent game. By the first line I mean the Sutter line. I guess that is an exaggeration, but in terms of minutes played, the Sutter line had the most ice time tonight. Sutter led the forwards at 19:16, Dorsett was third at 18:20 and Granny was 5th at 16:41. That is more combined time than the Horvat line and a lot more than the other two lines. For the season overall, it is very close between the Horvat line and the Sutter line (both as constituted tonight) for the most minutes. And great to see Granny finally get on the scoreboard tonight.

3. Speaking of time on ice, I was surprised to see how much Hutton played. His play on the second Buffalo goal was obviously bad but Green must have thought he was generally playing well. I notice that Green does like to give guys a chance to come back from mistakes. He left Dorsett on the ice after his poor play on the first Sabre goal and he did not miss a shift, which turned out to be a big plus. Same story with Hutton. As @ThaShady1 says, there are a lot things to like about Green. His post-game press briefings are so much better than Willie's.

4. Looking forward, the goaltending situation is definitely up for grabs. Both guys have had some problems and the overall team save percentage is not great. While I assume Demko will spend the season in Utica, it would not surprise me to see him make the team next year and maybe challenge for the #1 spot.

5. Nice to see Jake on the board as well and to see the Sedins score. The Sedins still look slow out there but I agree Jake might the right fit for them. I still think consistency is an issue for Jake. It seems like he has to really focus to consistently make the right play. It does not come instinctively for him like it seems to for Boeser or Horvat. (Although no doubt that "instinct" is due partly to thousands of hours of practice and playing experience in their careers so far.) Jake's speed and physical play seem like a natural complement to the Sedins and, with all three playing best with limited minutes at this stage of their respective careers, it should work -- at least on paper.

This team has zero star power but I don't know if any other team in the league right now is rolling 4 lines the way the Canucks are. This will pay off in a big way for us down the line. Top injuries won't be such a big deal and either will fatigue.

Great game by Dorsett and Sutter obviously, I think Tanev played out of his skin, weak game by Hutton who got embarassed by Eichel and Markstrom (another 1 bad goal per game).

Interested to see what Wiercioch can do for us.

Great win by the boys, especially after an early set back.

That said, once more a team, not even a big team decides to knock us about - and of course we take it and walk away. Man I am really getting tired of this. 

It's not even just the Sedins now. Come on if an opposition player cross checks you or pushes you after the whistle, do it back, if he does it again, do it back, it's not that hard. 

By the way, did anyone else see the masterclass by Alex Biega of "taking the man" - were you watching Ben? After DD and Jake he's the only man on the team who doesn't put up with after the whistle nonsense/intimidation.

On that subject did anyone else see it was open season on Stecher when we played Boston. It's almost like the Boston old pros told the young bloods to go out and cut their teeth on Stecher as part of their bully boy learning process.

Someday.............

7 hours ago, YummyCakeFace said:

They need another Hansen. Jake could be that guy.  Looking like Ferraro was right after all. 

Except I would feel sorry for Jake having to carry that role every night. I would rather see him maybe alternate with DD/Granny in that role, at least then he gets to have some fun.

It's like you are on the ice to bust your chops retrieving the Twins mistakes - they don't want to acknowledge you until they want you back checking for them. They are not what they were in the days of Burr where you could feed off them.

9 hours ago, apollo said:

YESSSS! CUP OR BUST! 

where are the idiots saying DD should be on waivers? Show yourselves! 

(I even said he's not worth 2.65... So I'm one of the idiots too) 

I'll join you on that idiot squad. Dorsett is making me eat my words and I couldn't be happier. Though I think part of what's happening is we have depth down the line-up, so while most teams have 3 decent forward lines, we have 4. That means we have 3 lines keeping close or even with the top stars that makes for pretty boring hockey, but once we get down to the checking line they have no one they need to check since Green seems to match top lines against each other and so our guys can overwhelm the limited opposition leading to more scoring opportunities. That's just a theory, but I think it makes sense.

9 hours ago, coolboarder said:

I'm really pleased on the way the team played, overcoming deficits with and eventually GWG from the error on offside call.  It should have been overturned.  I would like to see fair call throughout the league, including us without any bias.   If that game winning goal happened the same way against us, I'd be fuming.   I hate to see other fans fuming over a wrong call like this one.  I am seeking consistency from you, NHL.  

Now, I missed the third period due to getting picking up dinner but I'm really happy on the way they played tonight.  

With how many bs calls don't go our way are you seriously complaining about getting a controversial call in our favor? Like I mean wow man. It's about frigging time we get one back. Though that was a good call as Jake had control. The puck can be brought in after a player if the player is in control.

10 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

When Daniel asked about ice time:

"For this team to get to another level everyone needs to buy in and it starts with us."

Great quote.

For all the stick they've received regarding leadership... this is leader ship right here.

9 hours ago, 1-d said:

Virtanen was excellent with Sedins and had an assist on the winning goal. And his minutes also hit double digits for the first time this season.

The way it should be: a young guy earning more playing time as he develops the trust needed to increase the ice time. Same scenario with Bo and I think pretty much everyone agrees the small ice time starts didn't blunt his development. Green's handling a lot of this right so far.

7 hours ago, HerrDrFunk said:

He's playing like a man who almost lost it all and is in a contract year. I sincerely hope he keeps it up and another team vastly over-pays him in free agency....that's not even me being shady towards him. I like Dorsett and hope he cashes in big.

If he walks as a UFA you get nada. Trade him at the deadline if he`s not going to return. We want picks for Jimbo to work with.

Also I love the win, am happy for the guys, but we have got to start figuring out a way to score more then 3 goals (not counting empty netters) if we want to be more consistently in the win column.

Other thoughts:

Gagner needs to step up his game, so far the worst signing, but it's a long season, still willing to give the benefit of the doubt. Many games left to be played, but so far not liking what I'm seeing.

If Markstrom let's in 1 softie, but then manages to shut the door and battle back after then that isn't too bad for us. He never gives up, which is why I really like him. Still the opportunity for Nilsson is there to take the reins. It's a wide open race and I think soon Green will do with the win and you're in philosophy.

Vanek continues his strong play (though few here will credit him) getting in the goalies face and forcing the puck to the net. That's why we signed him in the off season. He's a greasy goal guy that we need and is the best or the 2nd best signing in the off season.

The person in competition for that spot is Del Zotto. He's quietly climbed to 3rd in points the last 7 games and Tanev isn't that far behind at 5th. When was the last time we had not one, but two Defenseman in the top 5 scoring? Of course still super early, but it's a good sign that our blue line is helping us score when we usually struggle in that area.

Now if only our forwards could start going a little better we'd have one hell of a hockey team for a rebuilding team.

GO CANUCKS GO!

Great bounce back after laying egg in Boston.

How can this Buffalo team still be this bad, they look like they should be decent on paper..  We dominated them like we got dominated the night before.  I will give that teams have good and bad games but we just don't carry play like that, not even in the games we win and play relatively well.

I have been really, really critical of Sutter, Dorsett and the Vanek signing over the last while, but wow they are making me look foolish this year.  Sutter has really played like the elite shut down guy he is payed to be, hope it lasts.  Using Dorsett as a shutdown winger?  Who would of thought that would work.

Virtanen really seemed to elevate the Sedins and vice versa.  Good effort by the guys, Markstrom needs to start his warm up earlier though so he is ready to play.

Toews, Kane, McDavid, Price and ... Eichel.  One of these things does not belong in the $10M club, he should of got similar contract to Draisaitl not McDavid (and Draisaitl is still the better player of the two IMO).

11 hours ago, YummyCakeFace said:

They need another Hansen. Jake could be that guy.  Looking like Ferraro was right after all. 

I was suggesting the same thing earlier but some of our CDC "Hockey Guru's" thought it was a ridiculous idea. Something about the Sedins being east/west players and Virt being a North/South type player. Love it when these "Know It All's" are proven wrong. :lol:

Archived