The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Sportsnet] 2018 Draft Rankings: November

17 hours ago, Alflives said:

I forgot about the college "screwing us over" potential.  I'm with you now.  

17 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

if thats my only choice I'll deal with the nausea but if not no. Its a disaster waiting to happen. He's going to be a douche, and we'll be ensured to have a "Kesler moment" down the road with him demanding a trade, if he ever signs in the first place. He's in college and will screw us as a college free agent. 

We have some great toughness coming in Gadjovich, and we can draft other physical guys outside of the first round. We need elite D desperately. 

The answer to both posts lies in how good the prospect is?

Can anyone name a Top 5 or 6 pick, who screwed the team that drafted him. By using the 4 years in college loophole?

Tkachuk will be turning pro almost right away. He's that good. Does not need to develop for 4 years to be ready. If he waited 4 years, he would have bypassed, probably, at least 3 years worth of million.five or million.six annual deals. $4.5 odd million bucks!!!

By which time, he would be eligible for his second contract. What did Pastrnak get, $50, $60 million bucks? 

But no, Brady will forego all that to start his 1st deal 4 years later... It happens with 2knd and 4th rounders, who buck all trends, and become much better prospects during their college career. It wont happen here, Brady is too good. I don't know why we are worried about it...

I love how deep this draft is. Merkley and Addison in the late 20s? No point in tanking if players like that are available to teams reaching the East and West finals.

BPA is such a subjective term tbh. I’d say grab a D with our first rounder. Honestly, say we’re picking 12th for example, how are you supposed to know if the rw slotted at 12 overall is a better player than the Defensman at 13? Is just speculation and comparing two players who are completely different. 

For example, who’s better Chris Tanev or Bo horvat? It’s almost impossible to compare. Same thing with draft picks, unless there is a clear elite talent line Dahlin or Svechnikov

This year would be the year to sell Vets for more fodder at the draft.

We need to put ourselves in a position to move up to target some of the high-end defense talent at this draft.

The dream is ofcourse Dahlin but Boqvist sounds like a nice player too and is RHD which we need more of.

22 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Blake Wheeler.

But I agree with you, Brady wont spend 4 years in college.

Wheeler's case is actually really weird. He left college early (didn't return for senior year) but was somehow able to claim free agent status anyway and earlier into the summer than is normal. He signed with the Bruins on July 1st despite the becoming a free agent after 4 years of college thing usually happening August 15th. He somehow found a different loophole (possibly due to him playing a year in the USHL after being drafted but before college?).

But ya, quite unlikely a top 10 pick stays all 4 years in college.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone consider Evan Bouchard? I think he's a little older in the draft class due to a late birthday, but from what I hear he's able to join the offensive rush and has a wicked slapshot. Could develop into that PP QB we've always been wanting. Right now he's ranked #16, which is around where I think we might draft. 

5 minutes ago, YummyCakeFace said:

Tkachuk please. I know we'll never get him. Even if we had the pick, Benning would draft some soft euro. So Canuck. 

You probably would have wanted Pyatt and Connolly over the Sedins a.k.a soft euros.

Over 2000 points later....oops.

I always say pick the BPA but I would like to see this team draft a physical d-man how can really shoot the puck.  Bodie Wilde and Jett Woo fit both wants. I think the Canucks draft in the 10-20 range this year so either player is a possibility.

Archived