The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are the Sedins future changing?

EdgarM

Rick Dhaliwal @DhaliwalSports 7h7 hours ago

Follow Follow @DhaliwalSportsFollowing Following @DhaliwalSportsUnfollow Unfollow @DhaliwalSportsBlocked Blocked @DhaliwalSportsUnblock Unblock @DhaliwalSportsPending Pending follow request from @DhaliwalSportsCancel Cancel your follow request to @DhaliwalSports
More

• Copy link to Tweet
  • Embed Tweet

Agent J.P Barry on the Sedin twins future :"Initially we were going to talk at the end of the year but I'm sure some discussions will take place before the trading deadline." #CanucksNHL_2017_2018_Canucks.png

10:42 AM - 19 Jan 2018

At the end of the day, all players dream and want to win the Stanley Cup. If given an opportunity (e.g. retain max salary on both) and ship them to a contender like TB, I would think they would consider it. Heck, even Mats Sundin left Toronto to try and win a Stanley Cup. I think trading both with salary retained get net us multiple 1st round draft picks and a grade A or B prospect. They are still 50 point 2nd line players.

^

This.

I am sure they will touch base and see what sort of salary they would be seeking “if” they came back.  Just giving some info for planning sake in case we needed to take back salary that had term longer than this season.

Also whether we may need a stop gap in the centre position until one of the younger guys comes in. (I am assuming  Petterson comes in as a winger initially).

Would not be a shock to see them re-sign for a year, but it's going to really cram the roster.  Next year Goldobin and Virtanen both require waivers so they'll need to be on the team, and I still maintain that Gaudette is a near certainty next year.  The twins could be great for Pettersson and Dahlen, and even if they don't make the team out of camp perhaps they could join later in the season.  But even without Vanek, that still starts us with:

Baertschi Horvat Boeser

Sedin Sedin Granlund

Eriksson Gagner Goldobin

Gaunce Sutter Virtanen

(Gaudette/Pettersson/Dahlen)

If they don't make the team out of camp we're going to look an awful lot like this year, and I think we need to keep the rebuild bus moving forward.  Perhaps Trader Jim moves Goldobin or Baertschi to free up spots in order to keep the Sedins' mentorship around a bit longer, but that'll be a tough call.

2 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Would not be a shock to see them re-sign for a year, but it's going to really cram the roster.  Next year Goldobin and Virtanen both require waivers so they'll need to be on the team, and I still maintain that Gaudette is a near certainty next year.  The twins could be great for Pettersson and Dahlen, and even if they don't make the team out of camp perhaps they could join later in the season.  But even without Vanek, that still starts us with:

Baertschi Horvat Boeser

Sedin Sedin Granlund

Eriksson Gagner Goldobin

Gaunce Sutter Virtanen

(Gaudette/Pettersson/Dahlen)

If they don't make the team out of camp we're going to look an awful lot like this year, and I think we need to keep the rebuild bus moving forward.  Perhaps Trader Jim moves Goldobin or Baertschi to free up spots in order to keep the Sedins' mentorship around a bit longer, but that'll be a tough call.

Benning explained that his earlier trades were motivated to fill the age gap - why would he recreate one.  It's then the same problem over again.  The idea is to be able to replace ageing players regularly with younger players so that the age structure stays constant.

46 minutes ago, naslundfan921 said:

Doubt it's for trade purposes, probably more a discussion about what their plans are re. retirement at the end of the season so they can figure out how much space we have to play with this summer (and by extension this upcoming deadline). 

Then why care before the trade deadline? It sounds to me like their agent, is drumming up interest so that they don't have to 'ask to be moved'. Then they are moved at the deadline as offers come in - remember the  Canucks always said they would not ask them to be moved, it was up to them. The twins would never ask for it given if they aren't traded they tarnish their reputations here and also send a signal to the young guys they don't want to be here. The agent thus drums up incoming calls, JB then says hey guys, we're gettting calls.....trade, then re-sign them in July on 1 year contracts at 3 mil each.

It seems to me to be a 'strategy' to put them 'in play' in the deadline market IMHO

38 minutes ago, mll said:

Benning explained that his earlier trades were motivated to fill the age gap - why would he recreate one.  It's then the same problem over again.  The idea is to be able to replace ageing players regularly with younger players so that the age structure stays constant.

It's a big reason why he brought in Dorsett, Sutter, and Eriksson -- to be the veteran leaders once the current core is gone.  Perhaps only a couple of 30-year-olds is enough, but we'll see.  I think at this point he would prefer them for another year because otherwise this team will become VERY young very quickly, but there's many factors including how well the kids progress between now and camp next year.

1 hour ago, Drew.Doughty said:

At the end of the day, all players dream and want to win the Stanley Cup. If given an opportunity (e.g. retain max salary on both) and ship them to a contender like TB, I would think they would consider it. Heck, even Mats Sundin left Toronto to try and win a Stanley Cup. I think trading both with salary retained get net us multiple 1st round draft picks and a grade A or B prospect. They are still 50 point 2nd line players.

Too reductive. Of course they want to win one, but they want to win one here. Not everybody has a desire to uproot their family life to depart the team they've played on since draft day.

5 minutes ago, Green Building said:

Too reductive. Of course they want to win one, but they want to win one here. Not everybody has a desire to uproot their family life to depart the team they've played on since draft day.

they'd be moving away from their families for 4 months max... It's not like they have multiple years left on their contract. And i disagree. I bet they'd rather win one with any team then not win a stanley cup. That's why Iginla moved. Jagr always signs with a contender for dirt. List goes on.

Doubt they changed their minds about where they want to finish their careers. Especially after the letter they wrote to the fans. I imagine this is just preliminary talks about next year for their next contract and so they know who they should look at moving out. I would assume management wants to keep rolling in younger players. Pettersson and Gaudette very likely to push for roster spots. Gadjovich is an interesting name. Given he got signed earlier in the year I am curious as to whether or not management sees something there. Maybe it's a Utica thing if his team doesn't do much in the playoffs I dunno. Goldy may need a spot as well with waivers, I think he will be subject to waivers next year. 

Never know what rival GMs are offering to JB. Maybe there's enough interest to make him listen seriously. Sedins have always maintained they want what is best for the organization. Benning would not be doing his job if he simply refused to listen to offers. If some team wants to do something asinine and ridiculous like throw multiple 1st round picks and prospects then you have to seriously consider that, and if the deal is lopsided enough in our favor, only then do you take a potential deal to the Sedins and ask them what they want to do.

Also, we can only retain on one contract, max is 3 and we're retaining on Luongo and Hansen.

5 minutes ago, Drew.Doughty said:

they'd be moving away from their families for 4 months max... It's not like they have multiple years left on their contract. And i disagree. I bet they'd rather win one with any team then not win a stanley cup. That's why Iginla moved. Jagr always signs with a contender for dirt. List goes on.

Good of you to speak on their behalf is all I'm saying, especially when everything they've said to this point has summarily refuted as much.

Makes sense, I don't interpret this as a potential trade comment so much as a inquiry about how they should manage their cap and contracts going forward. If the twins know they're planning on retiring at the end maybe we seek some help up front with term on their contract at the deadline. Knowing you'll have two big holes and a large amount of salary to work with next season could definitely shift how we approach the trade deadline. Knowing you'll be retaining the twins at a ballpark amount would shift things as well.

Archived