The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Next Year's Line Up?

TheGuardian_

1 hour ago, wildcam said:

We are in big trouble if Sutter is the centre on 2nd line.... The defence has to be changed and some new forwards also..There going to be some trades for sure..

I could see Gagner,, back to columbus?, Hutton, Nilsson, Grandlund..Goldobin in package trade, ( Tanev for right package at draft)

I could see Baetschi traded depending on what happens at draft this year?  Should get 2nd rd pick

Think Benning will have extra money and sign a real true #2 D man under 27 yrs old..

There will be some changes, We will sign a very good NCAA - D man before June..

New players for next season, Gaudette, Pettersson, Juolevi 40 games, Demko 32 games

I think its tough to pin your hopes on us turning over that many players in one year. Lots of holes to fill i believe. Most notably on Defense. Baertshci is one of Bennings pieces he added. Gagner was just a filler signing and he isnt doing what he was signed to do here. I cant see anyone wanting him,. He plays out his contract here in Van

Tanev i could see getting moved. We would need a high draft pick back or a D prospect for him. I like the new players you quoted getting a shot with the big club next year, I am not sure they are impact in their first year though. Demko would probably be better to stay in the AHL while we re build that D core.

1 hour ago, mikeyman109 said:

I think its tough to pin your hopes on us turning over that many players in one year. Lots of holes to fill i believe. Most notably on Defense. Baertshci is one of Bennings pieces he added. Gagner was just a filler signing and he isnt doing what he was signed to do here. I cant see anyone wanting him,. He plays out his contract here in Van

Tanev i could see getting moved. We would need a high draft pick back or a D prospect for him. I like the new players you quoted getting a shot with the big club next year, I am not sure they are impact in their first year though. Demko would probably be better to stay in the AHL while we re build that D core.

Yep, I think it is tough to really pencil in any of the young guys on the roster next season.  We just have no idea if any of them are ready at all.

Probably wiser to get some veterans on cheap one year contracts over the summer, and "if" a prospect shows he can play then he starts opening night as those veterans are pretty expendable.  Otherwise we have a stacked Utica team, and lots of injury time for the prospects to come up and gets stints with the big club as a big developmental step.

Barring some miraculous UFA signings of the top guys, there is almost no chance of us being even within sniffing distance of a playoff team next year.

Even though we had a lot of injuries this season  lots of things went right that probably won't get replicated.  We had great output from Vanek and the Sedins that you can't count on for another year.  Boeser will find it tough to match this year's totals since there will be no complementary scoring and every top D in the league will be playing him hard.  Hutton, and Gagner are really the only players who had a sub-par season as individuals and I wouldn't bet much on them carrying a bigger load next year if they are even with us.  Granlund just reverted to his normal self after one stellar season, I wouldn't count on him being a top 6 guy.  

It is a big ask to have a bunch of guys who haven't played in the league come in and be really productive.  Our only real shot is if Demko came in like goalies "very
 occasionally do and excels immediately, it is at least as likely that he plays pretty well but gets no goal support and still loses after only letting in a goal or two in a game.

On 3/15/2018 at 1:48 PM, 250Integra said:

It looks like we're going to have a pretty competitive training camp, assuming we resign Virtanen, Baertschi, and Granlund. There's a good chance that Gaudette starts in the AHL and comes up when we have our string of injuries.  Also, I don't see us resigning Pouliot unless we are looking to trade Hutton (or another D). With that, the D-corps stays relatively the same. I think Juolevi will start in the AHL and then make his way up. Here's hoping we land Rasmus Dahlin...

Don't see any way the RFAs aren't qualified aside from some of the minor leaguers like Boucher.  The past 3 years has shown how much we need double-digit depth on defense alone.  The worst would be to dispose of young forwards for little to nothing just to give the Sedins roster spots for another year.

Barring unforeseen circumstances, Gaudette will be on this team out of camp.

5 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Don't see any way the RFAs aren't qualified aside from some of the minor leaguers like Boucher.  The past 3 years has shown how much we need double-digit depth on defense alone.  The worst would be to dispose of young forwards for little to nothing just to give the Sedins roster spots for another year.

Barring unforeseen circumstances, Gaudette will be on this team out of camp.

I agree here. Some of the RFAs will probably not be qualified.  We do however need to have some depth in Utica to help when injuries occur. Absolutely agree on the Roster spots the Sedins will take up we need those for the younger players now

Gaudette should be able to make this lineup out of camp unless he shows up Krutov fat

8 hours ago, wildcam said:

We are in big trouble if Sutter is the centre on 2nd line.... The defence has to be changed and some new forwards also..There going to be some trades for sure..

I could see Gagner,, back to columbus?, Hutton, Nilsson, Grandlund..Goldobin in package trade, ( Tanev for right package at draft)

I could see Baetschi traded depending on what happens at draft this year?  Should get 2nd rd pick

Think Benning will have extra money and sign a real true #2 D man under 27 yrs old..

There will be some changes, We will sign a very good NCAA - D man before June..

New players for next season, Gaudette, Pettersson, Juolevi 40 games, Demko 32 games

Yeah I made that projection when I was a little hot headed just after the trade deadline. The lack of trading is setting himself up for an extremely busy offseason. If he can’t find trades (he’ll be desperate now so teams might  see this and take advantage) he’s probably losing guys for nothing.

Where do you guys see Lepisic fitting in next year?  1st, 2nd, or 3rd line?  With the influx of youth and healthy bodies returning I'm thinking he will likely settle in on the 3rd line.  

What do you guys think?

Pettersson, Dahlen, and Goldie are all Likely to play the LW unless Pettersson goes RW to start.  Toss in Baer if he's stilll around. Then possibly Daniel?  Can he play on the 3rd line? Is that the twins line like this season?

Just now, Rush17 said:

Where do you guys see Lepisic fitting in next year?  1st, 2nd, or 3rd line?  With the influx of youth and healthy bodies returning I'm thinking he will likely settle in on the 3rd line.  

What do you guys think?

Pettersson, Dahlen, and Goldie are all Likely to play the LW unless Pettersson goes RW to start.  Toss in Baer if he's stilll around. Then possibly Daniel?  Can he play on the 3rd line? Is that the twins line like this season?

That's not even including Evander Kane from free agency or Phillip Zadina, Brady Tkchauk, or Andrei Svechnikov from the top end of the 2018 draft.

Damn we could be good next season. :D

2 hours ago, Rush17 said:

That's not even including Evander Kane from free agency or Phillip Zadina, Brady Tkchauk, or Andrei Svechnikov from the top end of the 2018 draft.

Damn we could be good next season. :D

We still need Defense before we ever turn this around. 

On 17/03/2018 at 6:09 PM, mikeyman109 said:

I agree here. Some of the RFAs will probably not be qualified.  We do however need to have some depth in Utica to help when injuries occur. Absolutely agree on the Roster spots the Sedins will take up we need those for the younger players now

Gaudette should be able to make this lineup out of camp unless he shows up Krutov fat

Apart from Pettersons dirty dangles at the prospects game last summer Gaudette was far and away the best player on the ice. 

On 12/03/2018 at 4:01 AM, BigTramFan said:

I like the influx of young players added this year (Boes, Virt, Pouliot, Leip, Motte).

Next season continue adding youth, but next year is definitely a TRANSITION year. We will not likely be playoff bound. I think that Gaudette and Juolevi will be ready to step up to NHL.

Trade Goldobin, Granlund, Gaunce, Gagner & Hutton. Use them along with this upcoming draft to flood talent into D pool.

Develop Petterson, Dahlen, Lind, Gadjovich, Demko in AHL. Maybe a couple of call ups to see how they look in NHL. Resign Sedins to 1 year contract so that we can allow these guys to develop next year.

Don’t worry about line numbers. My lineup next season is:

Baer Horvat Boeser

Sedin Sedin Ericksson

Archibald Sutter Motte

Leipsic Gaudette Virtanen

(Dowd)

Edler Stecher

MDZ Tanev

Pouliot Gudbranson

(Juolevi Biega)

Markstrom

Nilsson

The hope is that Petterson, Lind & Demko ready to add full time in 2019-20. Add Dahlen, Gadjovich, MacEwen, plus 2-3 young, big, dynamic Dmen in 2020-21.

I don't see a place for Motte or Leipsic other than Utica.

Imo they are too small and don't have enough to offset that. Oh they are getting the usual "favouritism" now because they are new and shiny but so did Dowd. Dowd is another who is just not good enough. Archie will be the standard for our 4th liners from now on and at present only Gaunce imo has what it takes to be on the 4th with Archie.

We chronically need size and if Granlund centres Gaunce and Archie that will sort out our 4th line.

In an ideal world Gadjovich will come onto our 3rd line with Sutter and Baertschi. Our bottom 6 now has decent size with no smurffs in sight.

The 2nd line will be a problem if the Twins are still around however maybe they will small the coffee and retire "at the top of their game"

This will leave us with Gaudette centering Ericsson and Virtanen on the 2nd and Bo centering Boeser and Pettersson

Boeser  - Bo - Pettersson

Ericsson - Gaudette - Virtanen

Gadjovich - Sutter - Baertschi

Gaunce - Granlund - Archibald

If we picked up Tkatchuk

Tkachuk - Bo - Boeser

Baertschi - Gaudette - Pettersson

Ericsson - Sutter - Virtanen

3 hours ago, alfstonker said:

I don't see a place for Motte or Leipsic other than Utica.

Imo they are too small and don't have enough to offset that. Oh they are getting the usual "favouritism" now because they are new and shiny but so did Dowd. Dowd is another who is just not good enough. Archie will be the standard for our 4th liners from now on and at present only Gaunce imo has what it takes to be on the 4th with Archie.

We chronically need size and if Granlund centres Gaunce and Archie that will sort out our 4th line.

In an ideal world Gadjovich will come onto our 3rd line with Sutter and Baertschi. Our bottom 6 now has decent size with no smurffs in sight.

The 2nd line will be a problem if the Twins are still around however maybe they will small the coffee and retire "at the top of their game"

This will leave us with Gaudette centering Ericsson and Virtanen on the 2nd and Bo centering Boeser and Pettersson

Boeser  - Bo - Pettersson

Ericsson - Gaudette - Virtanen

Gadjovich - Sutter - Baertschi

If we picked up Tkatchuk

Tkachuk - Bo - Boeser

Baertschi - Gaudette - Pettersson

Ericsson - Sutter - Virtanen

Green sees Sutter as his shutdown line.  Gaunce-Sutter-Archibald seems a more likely combination.  If players don't have a role that fits their game then it's better to move them.   The better teams seem to be moving towards 3 scoring lines and just one checking line.    

Bo Boeser Pederson 

Sutter Archie Gaunce

Hank Daniel Ericsson 

Gaudette Virt Bear 

extras Gagne Leipsic Motte

Edler Guddy

Tanev Stech 

Puliot Juolevi 

Draft pick Hutton 

Sedins retire it opens up 2 spots. Maybe a free agent fills 1 spot 

8 hours ago, mll said:

Green sees Sutter as his shutdown line.  Gaunce-Sutter-Archibald seems a more likely combination.  If players don't have a role that fits their game then it's better to move them.   The better teams seem to be moving towards 3 scoring lines and just one checking line.    

I think Sutter and Granlund are our two best  defensive centers and are good fits for the 3rd and 4th lines. Don't think we are at the "3 scoring lines" phase yet. I think we still need a big body forward as we have way too many small forwards who are NOT our superstars. This needs to be balanced out still.

2 hours ago, spur1 said:

Bo Boeser Pederson 

Sutter Archie Gaunce

Hank Daniel Ericsson 

Gaudette Virt Bear 

extras Gagne Leipsic Motte

Edler Guddy

Tanev Stech 

Puliot Juolevi 

Draft pick Hutton 

Sedins retire it opens up 2 spots. Maybe a free agent fills 1 spot 

Pederson? Really??? He's our best prospect in quite a while and you butchered his name.

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 2:05 AM, flickyoursedin said:

Pettersson Horvat Boeser

Baertschi Sutter Virtanen

Sedin Sedin Gaudette

Gaunce Ganger Eriksson

Leipsic

(Dowd waived, Archibald waived, Biega waived, Goldobin Russia or waived)

Stetcher Tanev

Edler Gudbranson

Pouliot Del Zotto

Hutton

Markstrom

Nilsson

I think you are right about Gaudette: he signs, he plays as soon as he can, he makes the Canucks this Fall.

I can see moving Baertschi and Granlund this summer, gambling that Pettersson and Lind make the team this Fall. 

Goldobin is an interesting situation.  He has played a little better lately, and could go either way.

Everyone says how "Benning likes competition."  Well, there are going to be 17 or 18 players expecting a very good shot at making the Canucks at Forward this Fall, assuming the Sedins stay one more year.   This could be competition, but it might also be mediocrity or poor management, take your pick.  If the new players make the team (Juolevi, Gaudette, Dahlen, Lind and Pettersson), then the logjam will be bad enough that waivers or quick trades will be in order. (I suspect this will be dealt with this Summer, not the Fall.) 

Juolevi and Pettersson had better be on this team this Fall, or there will be grumbling. Ideally, one of Lind and Gaudette should be there as well.  Otherwise this is a pretty second-rate rebuild.  I don't think the fans can stomach seeing Gagner, Eriksson, the Sedins and Edler on another pp.  Boeser, Pettersson and Gaudette -- along with Juolevi and Stecher will be the core of the new pp. 

1 hour ago, EdgarM said:

I think Sutter and Granlund are our two best  defensive centers and are good fits for the 3rd and 4th lines. Don't think we are at the "3 scoring lines" phase yet. I think we still need a big body forward as we have way too many small forwards who are NOT our superstars. This needs to be balanced out still.

Granlund only took less than 180 draws - he's mostly a winger.  He was critical of having to play with grinders in Calgary - he talked about how playing with 4th liners forced him to change his game.  Baer is not a shutdown winger.  If guys don't have a role that fits their skills move on and trade them for someone who does.  Lines work when players think the game the same way.  

3 hours ago, Adarsh Sant said:

Pederson? Really??? He's our best prospect in quite a while and you butchered his name.

Pederson, Peterson, Petersson. 

Are you the spelling teacher?

I am thinking you are bright enough to figure out what I was saying. 

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 1:24 PM, Provost said:

Yep, I think it is tough to really pencil in any of the young guys on the roster next season.  We just have no idea if any of them are ready at all.

Probably wiser to get some veterans on cheap one year contracts over the summer, and "if" a prospect shows he can play then he starts opening night as those veterans are pretty expendable.  Otherwise we have a stacked Utica team, and lots of injury time for the prospects to come up and gets stints with the big club as a big developmental step.

Barring some miraculous UFA signings of the top guys, there is almost no chance of us being even within sniffing distance of a playoff team next year.

Even though we had a lot of injuries this season  lots of things went right that probably won't get replicated.  We had great output from Vanek and the Sedins that you can't count on for another year.  Boeser will find it tough to match this year's totals since there will be no complementary scoring and every top D in the league will be playing him hard.  Hutton, and Gagner are really the only players who had a sub-par season as individuals and I wouldn't bet much on them carrying a bigger load next year if they are even with us.  Granlund just reverted to his normal self after one stellar season, I wouldn't count on him being a top 6 guy.  

It is a big ask to have a bunch of guys who haven't played in the league come in and be really productive.  Our only real shot is if Demko came in like goalies "very
 occasionally do and excels immediately, it is at least as likely that he plays pretty well but gets no goal support and still loses after only letting in a goal or two in a game.

The young guys on the way are better than you are suggesting.  Pettersson is a lock on a team that can't score, and needs hope.  If Lind can do half of what he does in Junior at camp next year: another lock.  If Juolevi is mobile and smart with the puck in training camp, he will be paired with a protector pylon (Gudbranson?) and start.  Much closer to a lock than a return to Finland.  More prospects than this will likely make the team.   This is because this team is just awful, it needs better players.  This isn't the 1979 Canadiens here. 

Evidence for my position?  This is the same management group that brought in McCann and Virtanen a few years back,  straight out of Junior.  Who brought in Boeser before last year was done, at the end of his College year (earliest possible date.)  If Pettersson, Gaudette, Lind, Dahlen and Juolevi are as good as the vets they are competing with (or within 5%) they will start.  

I will be shocked if any vet/UFA is brought in for one year; for one thing, most UFAs want two years minimum.  But it won't be the UFAs that will be against these deals.  Benning will not want them.  Eriksson and Gagner are albatross contracts; Benning learns from his mistakes: no more Gagner/Eriksson deals.  They will save their money for next year and the year after when all these new guys begin to be paid what they are worth.

The ONLY possible exception to this tight-fistedness is a goalie.  If another Miller type comes up, you may see a two year signing there.   

If we score a top-3 pick this year, or a Tanev trade yields us a first or a high second, you may see one or both of these players start as well.  This team is in desperate need of players who can score, and defenders who can mix attack and defence.   

I see enormous turnover by November of next year.  More than we have seen yet.

Archived