The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Next Year's Line Up?

TheGuardian_

I like the influx of young players added this year (Boes, Virt, Pouliot, Leip, Motte).

Next season continue adding youth, but next year is definitely a TRANSITION year. We will not likely be playoff bound. I think that Gaudette and Juolevi will be ready to step up to NHL.

Trade Goldobin, Granlund, Gaunce, Gagner & Hutton. Use them along with this upcoming draft to flood talent into D pool.

Develop Petterson, Dahlen, Lind, Gadjovich, Demko in AHL. Maybe a couple of call ups to see how they look in NHL. Resign Sedins to 1 year contract so that we can allow these guys to develop next year.

Don’t worry about line numbers. My lineup next season is:

Baer Horvat Boeser

Sedin Sedin Ericksson

Archibald Sutter Motte

Leipsic Gaudette Virtanen

(Dowd)

Edler Stecher

MDZ Tanev

Pouliot Gudbranson

(Juolevi Biega)

Markstrom

Nilsson

The hope is that Petterson, Lind & Demko ready to add full time in 2019-20. Add Dahlen, Gadjovich, MacEwen, plus 2-3 young, big, dynamic Dmen in 2020-21.

1 hour ago, BigTramFan said:

I like the influx of young players added this year (Boes, Virt, Pouliot, Leip, Motte).

Next season continue adding youth, but next year is definitely a TRANSITION year. We will not likely be playoff bound. I think that Gaudette and Juolevi will be ready to step up to NHL.

Trade Goldobin, Granlund, Gaunce, Gagner & Hutton. Use them along with this upcoming draft to flood talent into D pool.

Develop Petterson, Dahlen, Lind, Gadjovich, Demko in AHL. Maybe a couple of call ups to see how they look in NHL. Resign Sedins to 1 year contract so that we can allow these guys to develop next year.

Don’t worry about line numbers. My lineup next season is:

Baer Horvat Boeser

Sedin Sedin Ericksson

Archibald Sutter Motte

Leipsic Gaudette Virtanen

(Dowd)

Edler Stecher

MDZ Tanev

Pouliot Gudbranson

(Juolevi Biega)

Markstrom

Nilsson

The hope is that Petterson, Lind & Demko ready to add full time in 2019-20. Add Dahlen, Gadjovich, MacEwen, plus 2-3 young, big, dynamic Dmen in 2020-21.

That lineup would not excite the fan base and would guarantee another bottom three finish. At least we’d have a shot at the first overall pick again next year.

1 hour ago, Schmautzie said:

That lineup would not excite the fan base and would guarantee another bottom three finish. At least we’d have a shot at the first overall pick again next year.

The fan base should get used to what a rebuild means!

I can only dream that everything falls our way, we make a bunch of moves to reshuffle the roster, all the top UFAs we want come here, and all the gloom will depart, at least for the summer.

Kane-Tavares-Boeser

Leipsic-Horvat-Virtanen

Sedin-Sedin-Petterson
Motte-Sutter-Eriksson

Archibald

Edler-Carlson

Dahlin-Tanev

Juolevi-Gudbranson

Pouliot-Stecher

Demko

Raanta

... I can only dream this because I can't stomach the thought of what is likely the actual reality of something much more like:

Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser

Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson

Leipsic-Sutter-Virtanen

Motte-Dowd-Archibald

Goldobin

Edler-Tanev

Del Zotto-Stecher

Hutton-Gudbranson

Pouliot-Biega

Markstrom

Nillson

16 hours ago, iceman64 said:

we actually have good players now and some coming in but bigger meaner D?  I don't think think that's going to do help as much as it would as if we had it at forward for a change with 3-4 spots out of 12 and mixed in with the skill PLUS have a couple out of the 8 D spots but at least one more besides Guds..  THEN we'd go further in the playoffs instead of not making it past the first or 2nd round as it usually goes even when we made the playoffs over the years (with the odd exception)

Lots of skill is great but useless when injured and beat up, no wonder we've never won a cup... can never find a balance of size and skill (usually) 

I dont disagree but i want to see skill with size. Bigger players that can endure the punishment the playoffs dish out.  We have room for one player that plays like Stecher Hutton and Pouliot play and we still have a need for top 2. I prefer bigger N American kids others have a different opinion but watching Stechr try to deal with Staal in the Wild game last week was the pinnacle of what I am talking about.

Poster's, some of the posts are approaching EA sports level.

I understand the worse the team performs, the more some posters will want to project a roster that will be a winner quickly, it is difficult to put hopes and wishes aside when trying to imagine a logical line up.  I mean taking into account existing contracts and management's past actions over four years.

By past actions I mean that almost no players this management group has signed or traded for have been moved, for anything.

The team could just waive a bunch of players or not resign even more, but letting players go for nothing is really bad asset management or judgement of league's interest in the team's players, bad evaluation. Then again if it is just making room for 3 or 4 rookies then bury those players in the AHL for future depth or trades. 

So much depends on if we go against our run of bad luck and draft Dahlin.

If we get him it is immediately time to try to put together a playoff team.  You have a limited window to build a team before star player salaries make it too difficult to keep enough depth and add the right pieces.

You can’t buipd a team one draft player at a time as they start coming off their ELCs as fast as you gain a guy.

If we don’t get Dahlin, whoever we get isn’t likely to be an immediate star and we will have at least a couple more years of building slowly through the draft.

We have enough vets without the Sedins. We should go with youth.

Tkachuk         Horvat           Boeser

Pettersson     Gaudette    Vertanen

Archie            Sutter            Gralund

LE               Gaunce           Motte

Leipsic     ???????

On 3/11/2018 at 11:48 PM, BigTramFan said:

The fan base should get used to what a rebuild means!

A rebuild means you move out the old and bring in the new.  A roster with but one rookie and re-signed old veterans, icing essentially the same lineup, doesn't accomplish that.  Let alone bring fans and their interest back.

On 12/03/2018 at 12:59 AM, Provost said:

I can only dream that everything falls our way, we make a bunch of moves to reshuffle the roster, all the top UFAs we want come here, and all the gloom will depart, at least for the summer.

Kane-Tavares-Boeser

Leipsic-Horvat-Virtanen

Sedin-Sedin-Petterson
Motte-Sutter-Eriksson

Archibald

Edler-Carlson

Dahlin-Tanev

Juolevi-Gudbranson

Pouliot-Stecher

Demko

Raanta

... I can only dream this because I can't stomach the thought of what is likely the actual reality of something much more like:

Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser

Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson

Leipsic-Sutter-Virtanen

Motte-Dowd-Archibald

Goldobin

Edler-Tanev

Del Zotto-Stecher

Hutton-Gudbranson

Pouliot-Biega

Markstrom

Nillson

Adding both Tavares and Dahin would be amazing. Owners are probably drooling over that idea. Bottom feeder to playoff bubble team. Going to be hard to convince Tavares to come here.

5 hours ago, shazzam said:

Adding both Tavares and Dahin would be amazing. Owners are probably drooling over that idea. Bottom feeder to playoff bubble team. Going to be hard to convince Tavares to come here.

Oh it isn’t happening... I just need some fantasy to dream about during these bleak days.

We have a ton of RFAs next season and I fully expect some of them to be either traded or released.  Seeing as the Canucks did not acquire any picks at the TDL, I am hopeful that Benning will trade some assets at this draft to acquire more picks.

Baertschi was a decent acquisition by Benning but I can see him being traded at the draft.  Granlund is another possibility although I'm not sure how much value he may have.  Besides them, Tanev is an asset that I expect the Canucks to trade but his injury history is likely to hurt his value.  Ben Hutton is another candidate to be dealt, and possibly Michael Del Zotto.

I think management has to accept that next year may be a "lost" year while the team waits to transition some of its young stars (i.e. Pettersson, Gaudette, Dahlen, Lind, etc.). Whether they ultimately do that is a whole other matter.  Based on their philosophy of having to compete however, they will probably only do low-end changes.

13 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

We have a ton of RFAs next season and I fully expect some of them to be either traded or released.  Seeing as the Canucks did not acquire any picks at the TDL, I am hopeful that Benning will trade some assets at this draft to acquire more picks.

Baertschi was a decent acquisition by Benning but I can see him being traded at the draft.  Granlund is another possibility although I'm not sure how much value he may have.  Besides them, Tanev is an asset that I expect the Canucks to trade but his injury history is likely to hurt his value.  Ben Hutton is another candidate to be dealt, and possibly Michael Del Zotto.

I think management has to accept that next year may be a "lost" year while the team waits to transition some of its young stars (i.e. Pettersson, Gaudette, Dahlen, Lind, etc.). Whether they ultimately do that is a whole other matter.  Based on their philosophy of having to compete however, they will probably only do low-end changes.

Hopefully some can be traded.

Granlund IMO is preferable to Sven, he is more versatile and hits more.

Depending upon what happens at the draft, picks or trades, it will be more than just next year, likely two more at the very least.

I'm going to guess the Sedins will be back for one more year to help the new guys transition in. I can see something like this (with the current personnel we have):

Pettersson-Horvat-Boeser

Sedin-Sedin-Virtanen

Leipsic-Gagner-Baertschi

Eriksson-Sutter-Granlund

Archibald / Gaunce

Edler-Tanev

Del Zotto-Stecher

Hutton-Gudbranson

Biega

Markstrom

Demko

It looks like we're going to have a pretty competitive training camp, assuming we resign Virtanen, Baertschi, and Granlund. There's a good chance that Gaudette starts in the AHL and comes up when we have our string of injuries.  Also, I don't see us resigning Pouliot unless we are looking to trade Hutton (or another D). With that, the D-corps stays relatively the same. I think Juolevi will start in the AHL and then make his way up. Here's hoping we land Rasmus Dahlin...

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 1:48 PM, 250Integra said:

Also, I don't see us resigning Pouliot unless we are looking to trade Hutton (or another D). With that, the D-corps stays relatively the same

I find it odd that with all the contracts yet to be signed that only Gudbranson has been done, you would think that some of the others would be even talked about.

On 2018-03-14 at 3:48 PM, Hutton Wink said:

A rebuild means you move out the old CORE and bring in the new.  A roster with but one rookie and re-signed old veterans, icing essentially the same lineup, doesn't accomplish that.  Let alone bring fans and their interest back.

FTFY 

50 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

I find it odd that with all the contracts yet to be signed that only Gudbranson has been done, you would think that some of the others would be even talked about.

Folks said the same about Pizza’s contract. It worked out in the end. 

Its a projection. That span will mainly be Guddy’s prime. 

I still think he might be a sign-and-trade, just might take a while. 

On February 27, 2018 at 2:05 AM, flickyoursedin said:

Pettersson Horvat Boeser

Baertschi Sutter Virtanen

Sedin Sedin Gaudette

Gaunce Ganger Eriksson

Leipsic

(Dowd waived, Archibald waived, Biega waived, Goldobin Russia or waived)

Stetcher Tanev

Edler Gudbranson

Pouliot Del Zotto

Hutton

Markstrom

Nilsson

We are in big trouble if Sutter is the centre on 2nd line.... The defence has to be changed and some new forwards also..There going to be some trades for sure..

I could see Gagner,, back to columbus?, Hutton, Nilsson, Grandlund..Goldobin in package trade, ( Tanev for right package at draft)

I could see Baetschi traded depending on what happens at draft this year?  Should get 2nd rd pick

Think Benning will have extra money and sign a real true #2 D man under 27 yrs old..

There will be some changes, We will sign a very good NCAA - D man before June..

New players for next season, Gaudette, Pettersson, Juolevi 40 games, Demko 32 games

Archived